IGNORED

Quake 3 Adventure!

Gregory DG

I'm glad someone tipped you off/warned you about the /. posting, hope it doesn't eat all your bandwidth :)

Well, I did think ahead and copied the 5meg map to another server. (Let AT&T get pounded for all I care.)

Since the 20,000 hit post, there have been another 24,000 for a total of 44,000 today. Over 1,000 downloads for the map, making this the most hits (by far) TAT has ever had.

8)

Offtopic but you know..I've always wondered this.. Why the heck is a crapola Slashdot so darn popular? I mean sure I check out their stuff as well, but dang.. it's just regular old tech news. Anyone have a clue that I'm obviously missing why slashdot seems to be so massively popular and thus causes the dreaded 'slashdot' effect on any smaller sites it mentions? :? :? :?

Now that it's out...

Anyone care to comment on the map? Improvements? Likes, dislikes? Etc?

Who's going to host a Quake 3 server with this puppy?  :wink:

Gimme a few.. I'm still in the process of downloading quake 3, which I wouldn't have done had it not been for this map :P

Or someone could email him and let him know.  :wink:  

Done. Warren has been made aware. Haven't heard from him yet, but I'll let you all know what he says about it.

-----

[Addendum]: Sorry, got excited and popped off an e-mail to him before I finished reading the rest of the posts. Good to know that you guys found him.

I had the pleasure of working with Warren about 7 years ago on the never-realized Hasbro virtual reality project. We had a working demo of basically a VR Adventure 2. Man, it would have been so cool. One of these days when I'm sure Hasbro won't sue my brains out I'm gonna have to digitize the old promo video we did.

Of course, I also need to get the source code off of the DAT as well. And to whet your appetites even more, I will check with Warren and see if he minds if I post his never published book on video game design that he did back in the mid 80's. It's a trip to read all the stuff he was thinking about back then.

Now that it's out...

This is cool. I can't wait to download it and take a look around. Like many other people, Adventure is one of my all-time favorites and got me hooked on RPGs in general.

Do you plan on writing a quick tutorial on how you created the map? Was this a more-or-less straightforward creation of a Quake3 map, based on the 2D map that's already been done and the 2d pictures of the castles?

Hi there, I first have to say this map is Excellent! A group of friends that I regularly LAN with have thought of this a few times with previous 3D gaming engines. It's awesome to see someone actually do it. :D

Since you asked for comments, here goes, a combination of praise and bugs, and suggestions. (:

Maybe it's my graphics card, but a part of the wall-maze structure in the orange maze appears solid when you view it at an angle. It isn't until you see the opening head-on that it's visible. This appears in the passageways that lead to the openings for the white castle-crossway, or the other side with the red/blue rooms.

I don't know if you designed the map on purpose for this, but it's really a great rocket-jumping map. I like how you can get on-top of the whole world. I also noticed you put some lava pits outside, I guess this is for suicde incase your stuck out there. I almost though, would think about covering as much of the areas with an invisible ceiling or something, so you can't walk around these areas (or fall in them). I would DEFINITLY adivse putting an invisble or "clear" ceiling over the hidden-room with the three gates and name, it's way to useful to get into that room without going to the proper teleport room in the black castle where the dot would be. I also like how you did that, btw. (:

And speaking of the dot-room, it's very easy to double-trigger the button to open the secret wall to get into the dot-room. Meaning you open and close the door very quickly and it takes a couple times to get away from the switch and into the opened doorway.

Someone mentioned in earlier posts about a CTF setup for this. I think it would be really great for this, and I like his idea of having the flags on top of the castles. Since you really *should* have a second (third if you count the dot-room teleporters) access acess method to the flag, how about jump pads somewhere? Perhaps even on another side of a wall?

Speaking of Team games, the game will not load in Team Arena, under any configuration I have tried at any rate.

I've also have a problem with the game re-loading with a match of 12 bots involved. I can play one round, but when it goes to re-start, it hangs. And I've never seen Q3 hang before. :/

I like how you also have the cartridges, boxes & manuals piled around. It's a nice touch to otherwise empty rooms. (:

Okay, yes, I'd like to volunteer for the Q3 Adventure server. I have a static IP and a speedy Earthlink DSL with a nice uplink. I'll post a new message for this in a few moments, I need to configure my router for access and a few other things.

Thanks again for a great conversion, it's well worth the time and effort you have put in it so far. (: So, when are we going to see the Block as a playable character? :D

Now that it's out...

Who's going to host a Quake 3 server with this puppy?  :wink:

Okay, I did a complete re-install of Quake 3, the only addition I have to it is the Adventure map. I did some testing, and too many bots will make the map not re-load. So I have only four in, and it's a public Q3 server. I may remove it from the public-listing though and only have it advertised on this forum if I see it constantly full.

Also, I'm not an advanced pro at running Q3 Servers. (: So if something's not right, please email me about it. I would like to know how to have it adjust the bots in the game so that if more human players want to connect it will automaticly allow this.

At any rate, here is the info:

Adventure Dedicated Server:

66.47.126.26 port 27960

Additional Server Info:

Earthlink DSL, 1.5Mbps down, 128Kbps up

AMD 1.33Ghz w/1 gig RAM

Quake 3 ver. 1.31

Maybe it's my graphics card, but a part of the wall-maze structure in the orange maze appears solid when you view it at an angle. It isn't until you see the opening head-on that it's visible. This appears in the passageways that lead to the openings for the white castle-crossway, or the other side with the red/blue rooms.

I've never seen that happen before. Neither did my testers. (?) Are you refering to the orange floors, or the walls? (The floors do weird things because they are only one pixel higher than the real floor.

I don't know if you designed the map on purpose for this, but it's really a great rocket-jumping map. I like how you can get on-top of the whole world. I also noticed you put some lava pits outside, I guess this is for suicde incase your stuck out there.

I anticipated getting stuck out there, as you write, with the lava suicide pits. But RJing isn't something I really like too much. Ah well. :-)

I almost though, would think about covering as much of the areas with an invisible ceiling or something, so you can't walk around these areas (or fall in them). I would DEFINITLY adivse putting an invisble or "clear" ceiling over the hidden-room with the three gates and name, it's way to useful to get into that room without going to the proper teleport room in the black castle where the dot would be. I also like how you did that, btw. (:

You must have some super powerful rockets, because I could never RJ over those walls! (I could do it with a quad BFG though.)

Speaking of Team games, the game will not load in Team Arena, under any configuration I have tried at any rate.

I've also have a problem with the game re-loading with a match of 12 bots involved. I can play one round, but when it goes to re-start, it hangs. And I've never seen Q3 hang before. :/

I've had it lock up for me too, but only when I was testing it through QuArK. I've NEVER had it freeze playing Quake 3 the standard method.

Thanks again for a great conversion, it's well worth the time and effort you have put in it so far. (: So, when are we going to see the Block as a playable character? :D

After the CTF map, the blocky character is my next priority. The models are a pain to do however.

Thanks for the Q3 server! I'll jump into a game as soon as I D/L the 1.31 point release (24 meg at 56kb.)

Do you plan on writing a quick tutorial on how you created the map?  Was this a more-or-less straightforward creation of a Quake3 map, based on the 2D map that's already been done and the 2d pictures of the castles?

Yes. ;-)

Nothing really that hard about building the map. I just looked at the original, and went from there.

The hardest part was getting the sky to work. I had to edit the shader files for the textures, and I had no idea how they worked. I somehow lucked into getting the clouds to move. Dunno how I did that. :roll:

Some would say to use Radiant as a map editor. Well, I'm just simple guy who enjoys simple games, and I need a simple editor. ;-) QuArK is really the best one for me.

Let's set up a regular time to get into these deathmatches, shall we?

How about 9pm EST every night? (Or at least until everyone gets tired of the map.)

I will be bouncing between these two until midnight tonight and nightly at 9pm-boredom (EST.)

q3a.bosskey.net

and

Let's get some multiplayer playtime in on this map!!

If you intend to fully recreate Adventure in 3D with your mod...

I suggest then that the player model should be a hovering cube. And set the in-game "camera" in the third-person perspective.

Maybe you could also take the original AI code directly from the original Adventure to script out the actions of the dragons and other enemies.

All of this seems like it could be completely do-able -- using Q3 to build a version of Adventure that plays exactly like the original 2600 version but everything is in glorious 3D.

That would rock.

As for moving the bridges, would doing this as a weapon mod work? You find a "gun" which you can use to cross over from one side to another? I'm not familiar with how weapon mods work with Q3.

How about 9pm EST every night? (Or at least until everyone gets tired of the map.)

Sounds good to me. A few of my friends will be available to play it weekend-nights as well, Friday and Saturday evenings/nights about that time. The map is great for a lot of people.

I use the nick Blue Brat.

I will be bouncing between these two until midnight tonight and nightly at 9pm-boredom (EST.)

Same here, if my server is empty I'll visit the other one. I checked out q3a.bosskey.net this morning, and I will re-set mine to be a Pure Server as well. I tested mine thjis morning at my work, and the map did not auto-download. I saw people downloading the map from me, though. But whatever, I'll have it fixed later this evening.

Here's a tip for rocket jumping: You must be looking as far down as possible, and your timing with the jump must be exact when you fire the rocket. It also helps to be moving forward as it adds to the momentum. You will be able to jump on top of the Adventure arena when you are stuck in the black corridors outside of the maps. You can also grab all the power ups ontop of the castles like this.

If you really want insane height, try a BFG shot with Quad damage like this. (: A mortar/rocket combo jump will also get you a lot of height.

I loaded the adventure pak file into my baseq3 directory and then fired up Q3. Surprise! It won't load. The console reports something about a file that isn't a Jpeg. If I then delete the adventuredm file, Quake loads fine. I'm running patch 1.31 and had no problems previous to this.

I've tried reinstalling Quake and re-applying the 1.31 patch, but no difference.

Any ideas? I'd really LOVE to try this map!

Thanks,

JC

The bridge could be a weapon much like the teleport device in Unreal Tournament. You can have the bridge be selected as a weapon/device and place it where you need to cross. You have to pick it up again to carry it to another place.

Obviously if this were to scale of the original, then it would be pretty hard to place the giant-ass bridge you are carrying. Instead why not have it be a minature bridge (or something small that represents it) and toss out of your hand to the area you want to bridge. When it it in place you hit the shoot button and the minature grows/turns into the full sized bridge.

I know this is hard because Q3 doesn't support deformable terrain/walls. I have some ideas on how to overcome that, but I have to think about them a bit more.

q3q.bosskey.net

and

I'll look up these 2 servers tonight (thursday), hope to see you there.

I loaded the adventure pak file into my baseq3 directory and then fired up Q3.  Surprise!  It won't load.   The console reports something about a file that isn't a Jpeg.   If I then delete the adventuredm file, Quake loads fine. I'm running patch 1.31 and had no problems previous to this.

Are you the same person who had this problem on Slashdot? I've never heard of this problem, has anyone else?

What file is it complaining about? Have you tried downloading the map again? (It may be corrupt.)

I loaded the adventure pak file into my baseq3 directory and then fired up Q3.  Surprise!  It won't load.   The console reports something about a file that isn't a Jpeg.   If I then delete the adventuredm file, Quake loads fine. I'm running patch 1.31 and had no problems previous to this.

Are you the same person who had this problem on Slashdot? I've never heard of this problem, has anyone else?

What file is it complaining about? Have you tried downloading the map again? (It may be corrupt.)

Hi Greg,

Yes, I am the same person that mentioned the problem on /. (sheepish grin)

This is a much more appropriate forum.

Perhaps it is just me, since it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem, but since my Quake3 install is bone-stock I would expect it to crop up again... The ONLY additions since a new install of the program is patch 1.31 and Adventuredm. (in fact, if you look at the console output, you can see that the default display settings are still in place.)

I'm running Windows XP Pro system on a AMD AthlonXP 1900+, MSI KT3Ultra ARU Mobo, and a Geforce4Ti 4200 (128Mb).

I have downloded the file twice (once from each location -- I believe there are two listed on the page) and both of them act the same. Also Q3 goes right back to normal as soon as I remove the Adventuredm file from the baseq3 directory.

The output from the Q3 console is below, perhaps it will help...

If you want to reply off this board send it to jcam@adelphia.net.

Thanks,

Jim C

----

Q3 1.31 win-x86 Dec 11 2001

----- FS_Startup -----

Current search path:

d:gamesQuake IIIbaseq3pak7.pk3 (4 files)

d:gamesQuake IIIbaseq3pak6.pk3 (64 files)

d:gamesQuake IIIbaseq3pak5.pk3 (7 files)

d:gamesQuake IIIbaseq3pak4.pk3 (272 files)

d:gamesQuake IIIbaseq3pak3.pk3 (4 files)

d:gamesQuake IIIbaseq3pak2.pk3 (148 files)

d:gamesQuake IIIbaseq3pak1.pk3 (26 files)

d:gamesQuake IIIbaseq3pak0.pk3 (3539 files)

d:gamesQuake IIIbaseq3adventure.pk3 (48 files)

d:gamesQuake III/baseq3

----------------------

4112 files in pk3 files

execing default.cfg

execing q3config.cfg

couldn't exec autoexec.cfg

Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok

...detecting CPU, found AMD w/ 3DNow!

------- Input Initialization -------

Initializing DirectInput...

Couldn't set DI coop level

Falling back to Win32 mouse support...

Joystick is not active.

------------------------------------

----- Client Initialization -----

----- Initializing Renderer ----

-------------------------------

----- Client Initialization Complete -----

----- R_Init -----

Initializing OpenGL subsystem

...initializing QGL

...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:WINDOWSSystem32opengl32.dll' ): succeeded

...setting mode 3: 640 480 FS

...using desktop display depth of 16

...calling CDS: ok

...registered window class

...created window@0,0 (640x480)

Initializing OpenGL driver

...getting DC: succeeded

...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )

...49 PFDs found

...hardware acceleration found

...PIXELFORMAT 3 selected

...creating GL context: succeeded

...making context current: succeeded

Initializing OpenGL extensions

...ignoring GL_S3_s3tc

...using GL_EXT_texture_env_add

...using WGL_EXT_swap_control

...using GL_ARB_multitexture

...using GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array

...WGL_3DFX_gamma_control not found

WARNING: suspicious gamma tables, using linear ramp for restoration

GL_VENDOR: NVIDIA Corporation

GL_RENDERER: GeForce4 Ti 4200/AGP/3DNOW!

GL_VERSION: 1.3.1

GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_S3_s3tc GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_paletted_texture GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_EXT_vertex_weighting GL_HP_occlusion_test GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_KTX_buffer_region GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color GL_NV_evaluators GL_NV_fence GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint GL_NV_occlusion_query GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_point_sprite GL_NV_register_combiners GL_NV_register_combiners2 GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_NV_texture_shader GL_NV_texture_shader2 GL_NV_texture_shader3 GL_NV_vertex_array_range GL_NV_vertex_array_range2 GL_NV_vertex_program GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_multitexture GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGIX_depth_texture GL_SGIX_shadow GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_swap_control

GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE: 4096

GL_MAX_ACTIVE_TEXTURES_ARB: 4

PIXELFORMAT: color(16-bits) Z(16-bit) stencil(0-bits)

MODE: 3, 640 x 480 fullscreen hz:60

GAMMA: hardware w/ 0 overbright bits

CPU: AMD w/ 3DNow!

rendering primitives: single glDrawElements

texturemode: GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST

picmip: 1

texture bits: 0

multitexture: enabled

compiled vertex arrays: enabled

texenv add: enabled

compressed textures: disabled

Initializing Shaders

...loading 'scripts/lightningnew.shader'

...loading 'scripts/explode1.shader'

...loading 'scripts/gfx.shader'

...loading 'scripts/tim.shader'

...loading 'scripts/base.shader'

...loading 'scripts/base_button.shader'

...loading 'scripts/base_floor.shader'

...loading 'scripts/base_light.shader'

...loading 'scripts/base_object.shader'

...loading 'scripts/base_support.shader'

...loading 'scripts/base_trim.shader'

...loading 'scripts/base_wall.shader'

...loading 'scripts/common.shader'

...loading 'scripts/ctf.shader'

...loading 'scripts/eerie.shader'

...loading 'scripts/gothic_block.shader'

...loading 'scripts/gothic_floor.shader'

...loading 'scripts/gothic_light.shader'

...loading 'scripts/gothic_trim.shader'

...loading 'scripts/gothic_wall.shader'

...loading 'scripts/hell.shader'

...loading 'scripts/liquid.shader'

...loading 'scripts/menu.shader'

...loading 'scripts/models.shader'

...loading 'scripts/organics.shader'

...loading 'scripts/sfx.shader'

...loading 'scripts/shrine.shader'

...loading 'scripts/skin.shader'

...loading 'scripts/sky.shader'

...loading 'scripts/test.shader'

...loading 'scripts/quark.shader'

...loading 'scripts/q3map2_adventuredm.shader'

----- CL_Shutdown -----

RE_Shutdown( 1 )

Shutting down OpenGL subsystem

...wglMakeCurrent( NULL, NULL ): success

...deleting GL context: success

...releasing DC: success

...destroying window

...resetting display

...shutting down QGL

...unloading OpenGL DLL

-----------------------

Not a JPEG file: starts with 0x00 0x00

Messed up the server names in a previous post. They are:

q3a.bosskey.net

and

I'm there right now, actually. 9:30pm EST.

Fun map to play, the mazes are a little crowded for DM or CTF but they should be great in the full mod. We only had 3 humans and a few bots, we need some more Q3 players to test it out next time 8)