IGNORED

Call of Duty 4

Lastblade

Played some of the solo mission last night on Veteran.

(which means I died a lot and (gladly) replayed some sections many many times)

Sweet mother of all things holy.

I know we still have Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect on the way before the end of the year, and Bioshock was simply incredible.

That said, Call of Duty 4 may win Game of the Year hands down.

I have only played the first three levels and I am completely in awe.

Totally blown away.

I have not had an adrenaline rush like this while playing a game in a long long time.

I have not played online yet, and I have only played for a couple hours, but it is simply stunning.

There is no other way to explain it.

Online is really really really good. You should try it.

aka "Virtual Paintball pt. 432".

And yes, I have it. And have played it online. Good game. I like how the checkpoints are real close so you can retry sections again and again. But at the end of the day, to me it's just more FPS (which get real boring).

but if it was 3rd person it'd be fine right??? I don't get the people that bitch about FPS when all it is a camera angle. Put the angle behind the character and all of sudden everything is right with the world. A system can have 4x the amount of 3rd person games but it's fine, you never hear anybody saying , damn another TPS how boring and old.

Just another game to add to the list, i'm really falling behind.

but if it was 3rd person it'd be fine right??? I don't get the people that bitch about FPS when all it is a camera angle. Put the angle behind the character and all of sudden everything is right with the world.

heh. Actually what to me is tired and old, is "move a humanoid character holding a gun around in a 3d space, and shoot other characters". They really need to call their multiplayer mode as is and that's VIRTUAL PAINTBALL part bazillion. :P It wouldn't matter if it was 3rd person.

And again, I'm not talking out of my ass. I am playing the friggin game (check my xblive profile). Both single player and online. I don't talk about games I haven't tried for real.. in depth ;)

but if it was 3rd person it'd be fine right??? I don't get the people that bitch about FPS when all it is a camera angle. Put the angle behind the character and all of sudden everything is right with the world.

heh. Actually what to me is tired and old, is "move a humanoid character holding a gun around in a 3d space, and shoot other characters". They really need to call their multiplayer mode as is and that's VIRTUAL PAINTBALL part bazillion. :P It wouldn't matter if it was 3rd person.

And again, I'm not talking out of my ass. I am playing the friggin game (check my xblive profile). Both single player and online. I don't talk about games I haven't tried for real.. in depth ;)

Well, all games that fit in a genre are tired and old. How many RPG's can we play? Always the same with a different story, different weapon, etc.

There are few games that are truly unique anymore. Every now and then a Katamari or Ico type game come along, but the FPS, RPG, Adventure (Mario, Crash, Jack & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Banjo Kazooie, etc.), has all been done to death.

What is fun is when something in that old and tired genre does something that feels fresh. Bioshock did it for the FPS this year and COD4 feels suprisingly fresh and exciting as well.

Agreed! COD4 is another FPS, but it feels very intense, the maps are fun and the whole package is just superb. If you are burntout on FPS, I don't know why you would get it in the first place just so you can complain that it is another FPS?

Edited by Lastblade

Agreed! COD4 is another FPS, but it feels very intense, the maps are fun and the whole package is just superb. If you are burntout on FPS, I don't know why you would get it in the first place just so you can complain that it is another FPS?

I wouldn't say I'm burnt out on FPS. I'm just saying I'm playing COD4 and it's the same old bullshit :P Multiplayer is pure Virtual Paintball as usual, and as expected.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play more COD4 ;)

Well, all games that fit in a genre are tired and old. How many RPG's can we play? Always the same with a different story, different weapon, etc.

Oh no, not another video game! :P

I saw the COD4 demo in a Microcenter by me on a huge display, looked rather nice. First thing I noticed was that the weapon onscreen had what looked like an exact replica of my EOtech Holosight on the weapon. Neat :cool:

And now, I am officially calling it game of the year.

Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect will have some work to do to trump this.

Spoiler Alert!

The level when you are in the plane taking out instalations below could go down as one of the most realistic and satisfying moments in gaming history.

The nuclear bomb scene was absolutely pure brilliance.

Stumbling around, slowly dying while looking at the nuclear horror around you will be one of the greatest stand out moments in gaming history.

Okay... I just had a wisdom tooth pulled and am WAAAAYY hopped up on Vicadin, but I don't think I am exagerating too much here.

• 2 weeks later...

Having tried COD4, I've got to say it is one of the most jarring and powerful FPS experiences I've ever had - and I have played a lot of them. It's quite amazing. :cool:

I've heard that the single player is ridiculously short though, and there are no bots for multiplay - so thats a huge hit on the game for me though. :|

Been playing it on my PC today... These guys must be fans of the movie ALIENS. I found a couple of references to it which I find highly amusing.

One of the soldiers says about his shotgun, "I like to keep this handy... For close encounters." Then there's a Lt. Vasquez. Plus there's lots of "Check those corners" and "Stay frosty" sayings in there. (Certainly not ALIENS specific though.)

I've only played a few levels, but I'll keep looking for more. :D

Hmmm another game where multiplayer trumps the single play mode. :yawn:

For anyone interesting I believe on black friday certain stores are supposed to be having a sale on this title at $15-$20 off.

I don't see this as an issue. IF the MP is any good, most people will play that far longer than any campaign. That's just the way it is, more fun to play with smart human/friends than dumb AI that's basically gauntlet :D

Hmmm another game where multiplayer trumps the single play mode. :yawn:

For anyone interesting I believe on black friday certain stores are supposed to be having a sale on this title at $15-$20 off.

I don't see this as an issue. IF the MP is any good, most people will play that far longer than any campaign. That's just the way it is, more fun to play with smart human/friends than dumb AI that's basically gauntlet :D

Uh most people with a Gold Live account, that is.... :thumbsdown:

They really should lower the price to $20 and then tack on a fee of $40 for those who use live and actually use that half of the game. People who don't give a shit about online are basically paying $60 for a $20 experience. Sad, sad, sad.

I don't really like the trend of a game having a better online experience than offline experience either. :( But this is the way it's heading. You can buy a game for the Xbox 360 that has some offline multi-player options but have to pay for Live Gold, or get the PC version and have free online, but no offline multi-player. :x

Why create a game that requires you to have an optional service to fully enjoy it? But probably next gen all games will be this way.

It is possible that not wanting live gold has nothing to do with price. Cough..

That was your complaint in your prior post.

It is fine that you don't want to pay for gold. COD4 is still worth playing. I already gone through the single player campaign twice. Once on Hardened and once on Veteran (which is super tough).

Edited by Lastblade

I don't think I see on 'online only' trend.

This seasons big titles:

Bioshock, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed have no online.

Guitar Hero 3 has pointless online play, almost to a fault. NO co-op kills it.

Online titles like Halo 3, Orange Box and COD4 may have large online arenas, but the

solo player version of all these games are incredible.

COD4 is short, granted, but it's the best 6 hours I've ever played FPS wise.

It is possible that not wanting live gold has nothing to do with price. Cough..

That was your complaint in your prior post.

It is fine that you don't want to pay for gold. COD4 is still worth playing. I already gone through the single player campaign twice. Once on Hardened and once on Veteran (which is super tough).

Yes and your response was live can be got for $30, which made no sense in context of my complaint. ;)

Online titles like Halo 3, Orange Box and COD4 may have large online arenas, but the

solo player version of all these games are incredible.

COD4 is short, granted, but it's the best 6 hours I've ever played FPS wise.

Yeah and I've been hearing complaints that Halo 3's online maps aint all that. Personally I found 3's solo play dissapointing for the $60 I paid..

Edited by Shannon