IGNORED

MyIDE Internal Upgrades Available Again

classics

module_photo.jpg

The MyIDE internal upgrades have been unavailable for a bit but are available again for ordering.

The kits can be ordered at:

http://www.atarimax.com/myide/

The kits for XL/XE computers are already available and pre-ordering has been set up for the XEGS kits.

The tools for re-programming the flash OS areas can be found in the forum at:

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/

The Basic and Missile Command areas are also flash upgradeable when used in an XEGS.

Thanks

Steve

Edited by classics

Ordered one this morning!

Thanks. :D

Hey can the 32-1 OS go in a 1200xl?

Yes, just be sure to order the 1200xl version of the kit, as it includes a new MMU and BASIC rom for XL/XE compatibility.

You can check out the installation instructions for the 1200xl version here:

http://www.atarimax.com/warpos/documentation/

The install guides are near the bottom of the page.

Thanks

Steve

Is there a 1200xl version of the internal MyIDE?

I'm waiting to get the XEGS boards in to see which will be more suitable for the 1200XL.

The XL/XE one thats in now does fit, but there is just enough room between the module and the cartridge port for an IDE cable, not a flash module or anything bigger than a cable connection.

The XEGS module extends further out to the right and the IDE connector faces the other way. Once I figure out which one works the best I'll add a 1200XL ordering option that includes basic and a new MMU like the Warp+ OS kit.

Steve

Is there a 1200xl version of the internal MyIDE?

I'm waiting to get the XEGS boards in to see which will be more suitable for the 1200XL.

The XL/XE one thats in now does fit, but there is just enough room between the module and the cartridge port for an IDE cable, not a flash module or anything bigger than a cable connection.

The XEGS module extends further out to the right and the IDE connector faces the other way. Once I figure out which one works the best I'll add a 1200XL ordering option that includes basic and a new MMU like the Warp+ OS kit.

Steve

Put me in line for a 1200xl version once you get it perfected. Thanks.

Steve,

Will there be an internal MyIDE for users of the 32in1 ie, a non OS based version?

I'll do pre-orders for a 40-pin socket version after the XEGS version is done.

If there are enough pre-orders I'll go ahead and have some made.

Steve

Combining 32 in 1 OS with MYIDE is a great ideal. One of the things I like avoiding in an Atari computer is having too many hardware modifications that cause the computers insides from looking like spaghetti and ends up limiting you from making additional upgrades. Upgrades like additional memory, Dual Pokey, or whatever people may do to their CPU and Video chips. I think its great this all can go in the place of the OS EPROM. The guy who was looking to (re)build a "new" atari computer was looking for something like this. Was looking to put an hard drive in like a 1400XL/1450XL case.

One question I always have. How do you power the IDE hard drive?

Sorry to sound like a dumbass on this one....but I am unable to find an FAQ for dumbasses on this topic; I have been away from Atari-8s for >15 years and I am just getting back into it.

Is there a remedial FAQ that describes - assuming no prior knowledge for those who've been away - EXACTLY what this does?

I assume this is a combination of a switchable, upgraded OS and an IDE hard disk interface? Forgive my surprise, but I can't believe you can interface IDE with an Atari8. Is this through the cartridge port? Parallell bus? An internal mod? Where does the hard drive go? 2.5 internal notebook drive in the case? External ribbon connector for external IDE drive with external power?

I glanced at the documentation, but it of course assumes you know what each of these products are already so you can understand they are combined.

SIO2PC still seems like a novelty to me. Now a USB version! The 8meg Flashcart seems to good to be true. I can really put a bunch of games on there myself? How many fit? IDE interface now? Seems I'm going to have to get some of this stuff after Christmas. 32 OS's in one? Good grief!

Is there a general FAQ that explains exactly WHAT all these products are for people who have been out of the loop for years? They all sound like things I'm interested in, but would like top-down description of them!!

Good lord, it's great to be back to Atari8!! I wonder if the Commodore 64 and Apple II people have this kind of development for their 8-bit platforms!

James Wood

Laramie, WY

I wonder if the Commodore 64 and Apple II people have this kind of development for their 8-bit platforms!

It's strange but Commodore 64 (around 30 millions computers sold) doesn't have a device like the wonderful SIO2PC (and the new marvellous SIO2PC USB version).

Yes, that is interesting. The C64's have a DOS device that is similar:

http://www.64hdd.com/index_en.html

The C64 folks state that is has not been possible to develop a Windows version because in many cases, the drive takes complete control over transfers, so a multi-tasking system is out. That certainly may be true, but I'm still skeptical that with the horsepower that PC's have these days that it is "not possible."

-Larry

I wonder if the Commodore 64 and Apple II people have this kind of development for their 8-bit platforms!

It's strange but Commodore 64 (around 30 millions computers sold) doesn't have a device like the wonderful SIO2PC (and the new marvellous SIO2PC USB version).

Yes, that is interesting. The C64's have a DOS device that is similar:

http://www.64hdd.com/index_en.html

I have this device but we cannot compare it with SIO2PC!

C64 users also don't have SIO2SD devices.

Someone is working on something similar:

http://jderogee.tripod.com/project1541.htm

They only have this very limited device which is only able to run single files from sd cards:

http://www.c64-wiki.de/index.php/MMC64

I have this device but we cannot compare it with SIO2PC! (snip...)

Can you elaborate as to its differences -- just curious to know more about it from an owner.

I have SIO2PC USB version (with APE Trial) and XE1541 cable (with 64HDD freeware on bootable CD).

I've used 64HDD only for few weeks (one or two years ago) because it was not compatible with my notebook and I had to "keep alive" an old big desktop computer to run it. I also remember that the system was not very user friendly.

Now for Commodore 64 I have MMC64, a limited device (you are not able to save or run multi-load applications) but useful to quickly run single-file programs.

On the contrary, SIO2PC USB version with APE are very user friendly and work also with Vista.

Sorry to sound like a dumbass on this one....but I am unable to find an FAQ for dumbasses on this topic; I have been away from Atari-8s for >15 years and I am just getting back into it.

Is there a remedial FAQ that describes - assuming no prior knowledge for those who've been away - EXACTLY what this does?

I assume this is a combination of a switchable, upgraded OS and an IDE hard disk interface? Forgive my surprise, but I can't believe you can interface IDE with an Atari8.

Is this through the cartridge port? Parallell bus? An internal mod?

There are a bunch of different MyIDE variants, so its understandably a little confusing. I'll try to run down the various versions.

The first MyIDE were both internal and cartridge boards made by Mr. Atari. Both were just IDE bus buffers with no ROM, you had to replace the OS with a special MyIDE-OS eprom in order to use the hardware.

Both of these upgrades have been discontinued. You can still find the old documentation and manuals for them at Mr. Atari's site, which is of some use since the new upgrades are just enhanced versions of the old ones and operate along the same lines.

http://www.mr-atari.com/

After the old cartridge version of MyIDE was discontinued, the MyIDE+Flash cartridge was released. This is basically a cartridge version of MyIDE combined with a flash memory cartridge. This is currently the most popular and flexible version of MyIDE. The device is easily moved from computer to computer and the contents of the flash memory are easily upgraded.

There is quite a bit of software available for the cartridge version and it can be customized with various boot ROMs, xex/menu loaders, etc. There are some videos in the MyIDE+Flash documentation that might be useful for getting started. Also make an account on the MyIDE forum since there is a great deal of good information available there as well.

Since the internal MyIDE was also discontinued it was also updated, to include an integrated OS. This is the board that was recently released. It is not an n-in-1 OS upgrade like the Warp+ OS, but is flash programmable, so you can change the OS any time you want just by loading an XEX program to flash it.

All the original MyIDE documentation except the installation instructions can probably be applied to this board since it is essentially an update of that device, with the OS rom integrated into it.

If you don't intend to use the MyIDE hardware the board itself can still be used as a general purpose flash OS board on any XL/XE computer.

But for new users interested in MyIDE I'd recommend the MyIDE+Flash cartridge version over the internal, at least to get started.

Where does the hard drive go? 2.5 internal notebook drive in the case? External ribbon connector for external IDE drive with external power?

Both the cartridge version and internal versions have standard 40-pin IDE host connectors. You can use a 3.5" -> 2.5" IDE adapter to mount a 2.5" drive. Powering a real drive requires adding a power connector inside the Atari to power it. I personally recommend using a IDE->CF adapter or IDE Flash module that can be powered off the cartridge/upgrade board itself.

SIO2PC still seems like a novelty to me. Now a USB version! The 8meg Flashcart seems to good to be true. I can really put a bunch of games on there myself? How many fit? IDE interface now? Seems I'm going to have to get some of this stuff after Christmas. 32 OS's in one? Good grief!

The flash cartridge are user programmable so you can use the software kit to put whatever you like on them, though XEX/EXE/COM type games will work best. Some disk games can be done as well. How many depends on the size of the games, a 8mbit cartridge holds 1MB, which will probably work out to 40-50+ games per cart, again depending on what games you choose and how large the files are.

Is there a general FAQ that explains exactly WHAT all these products are for people who have been out of the loop for years? They all sound like things I'm interested in, but would like top-down description of them!!

There was an upgrade FAQ at one time, I'm not sure if its up to date or even still available?

Steve

The C64 folks state that is has not been possible to develop a Windows version because in many cases, the drive takes complete control over transfers, so a multi-tasking system is out. That certainly may be true, but I'm still skeptical that with the horsepower that PC's have these days that it is "not possible."

I've got 64HDD, and no offense to the author but it is light years behind APE. :|

What we need is a PC based REAL drive emulator for the 64. 64HDD isn't compatible with fast loaders (because it doesn't actually emulate the drive CPU/HW) and that sucks. It's too bad progress on 1541emu ground to a halt.

Anyhow, more on topic - I have the MyIDE Flash version of the interface with a 2GB IDE flash drive and it is awesome! :cool:

post-5887-1196301862_thumb.jpg

Edited by remowilliams

> SIO2PC still seems like a novelty to me. Now a USB version! The 8meg Flashcart seems to good to be true. I can really put a bunch of games on there myself? How many fit? IDE interface now? Seems I'm going to have to get some of this stuff after Christmas. 32 OS's in one? Good grief! <

Yes, the Atari community is extremely fortunate to have Steve's developments. I mean that very sincerely. Win APE is absolutely awesome. The MyIDE products are great (and I think the new internal flash interface will be even better).

I know that Steve answered your post, but I'd like to focus on one of your questions specifically about the flash cartridges:

"I can really put a bunch of games on there myself?"

There is an archive of prepared images that you can *easily* put on a flash cart. All of the hard work has been done. However, if you decide to "roll your own," things get more complicated. Steve's instructions for his software package are detailed and good, but I found that getting the software installed and functioning was not so easy. For a long time, I could not even get PERL installed, and had to wait for a later release. But I finally got it done, and once the software is all there and in the correct directories, you can follow Steve's docs and generally get results. Steve's flashing software is command-line driven, running from MS-Dos or a Dos-window. There is also a user-written Win App to help make flashable images, but I have not yet got it working. Admittedly, after I got the command line software working, I quit trying with the other app.

If you read through the flash cartridge threads and read Steve's docs, you can judge for yourself. The flashcart is a good product. I have several, and like them very much. But the software to make your own flashable images is still a work needing progress. (IMO)

-Larry

I assume this is a combination of a switchable, upgraded OS and an IDE hard disk interface? Forgive my surprise, but I can't believe you can interface IDE with an Atari8.

Is this through the cartridge port? Parallell bus? An internal mod?

There are a bunch of different MyIDE variants, so its understandably a little confusing. I'll try to run down the various versions.

The first MyIDE were both internal and cartridge boards made by Mr. Atari. Both were just IDE bus buffers with no ROM, you had to replace the OS with a special MyIDE-OS eprom in order to use the hardware.

Both of these upgrades have been discontinued. You can still find the old documentation and manuals for them at Mr. Atari's site, which is of some use since the new upgrades are just enhanced versions of the old ones and operate along the same lines.

http://www.mr-atari.com/

After the old cartridge version of MyIDE was discontinued, the MyIDE+Flash cartridge was released. This is basically a cartridge version of MyIDE combined with a flash memory cartridge. This is currently the most popular and flexible version of MyIDE. The device is easily moved from computer to computer and the contents of the flash memory are easily upgraded.

There is quite a bit of software available for the cartridge version and it can be customized with various boot ROMs, xex/menu loaders, etc. There are some videos in the MyIDE+Flash documentation that might be useful for getting started. Also make an account on the MyIDE forum since there is a great deal of good information available there as well.

Since the internal MyIDE was also discontinued it was also updated, to include an integrated OS. This is the board that was recently released. It is not an n-in-1 OS upgrade like the Warp+ OS, but is flash programmable, so you can change the OS any time you want just by loading an XEX program to flash it.

All the original MyIDE documentation except the installation instructions can probably be applied to this board since it is essentially an update of that device, with the OS rom integrated into it.

If you don't intend to use the MyIDE hardware the board itself can still be used as a general purpose flash OS board on any XL/XE computer.

But for new users interested in MyIDE I'd recommend the MyIDE+Flash cartridge version over the internal, at least to get started.

Where does the hard drive go? 2.5 internal notebook drive in the case? External ribbon connector for external IDE drive with external power?

Both the cartridge version and internal versions have standard 40-pin IDE host connectors. You can use a 3.5" -> 2.5" IDE adapter to mount a 2.5" drive. Powering a real drive requires adding a power connector inside the Atari to power it. I personally recommend using a IDE->CF adapter or IDE Flash module that can be powered off the cartridge/upgrade board itself.

The flash cartridge are user programmable so you can use the software kit to put whatever you like on them, though XEX/EXE/COM type games will work best. Some disk games can be done as well. How many depends on the size of the games, a 8mbit cartridge holds 1MB, which will probably work out to 40-50+ games per cart, again depending on what games you choose and how large the files are.

There was an upgrade FAQ at one time, I'm not sure if its up to date or even still available?

Steve

THANKS SO MUCH FOR A GREAT REPLY!!!!

I will definitely be doing business with you when I can get my hands on some money at the start of the new year.

Was ready to go with SIO2PC/USB but then my Trinitron died and I had no TV (no gaming either) so I had to crap out my only "extra" cash for a new TV.

Most appreciative,

James Wood

Laramie, WY

• 3 months later...

Steve

As the one who many, many moons ago wrote the upgrade FAQ, I can safely say that (1) it still lurks around the darker corners of the net and (2) it's woefully out of date - I'd estimate a decade or more - think back to Geocities and handwritten HTML...