IGNORED

Mass Effect

moycon

I ordered the Collectors Edition of Mass Effect from Amazon (special price of $59.99) and it just arrived yesterday. Didn't get a chance to try it out last night but hopefully will tonight (if I can tear myself away from Mario and RE:Umbrella).

I did watch the Mass Effect Special on Sci-Fi Channel last week and the game looks really, really good.

Mendon

I thought about buying it, but I couldn't tell what it was, is it more shooter, or more RPG? I mean, I like Morrowind style RG games, and I like FPS games, but which is it more closely related to?

I keep hearing aobut traveling to different worlds, which is cool, I guess, but how big exactly is this game/ I mean, in terms of hours, I hear it's on one disc, but so is Oblivion, so that's not really a judge of size.

I thought about buying it, but I couldn't tell what it was, is it more shooter, or more RPG? I mean, I like Morrowind style RG games, and I like FPS games, but which is it more closely related to?

I keep hearing aobut traveling to different worlds, which is cool, I guess, but how big exactly is this game/ I mean, in terms of hours, I hear it's on one disc, but so is Oblivion, so that's not really a judge of size.

The game actually kind of reminds me of Oblivion in some ways, but set in space and with guns. You basically have to obtain and choose to do quests that appear in your journal, sometimes traveling to remote planets to complete the quest . Some of the quests are collection based, like surveying for rare elements or collecting alien artifacts and will require trips to many many planets in search of them, other are getting involved with hostage situations, or missing people cases . It's very well done. I really am enjoying the hell out of the game. It's definately more exploration than FPS. Usually on every planet you can land on you will engage in hostile enemies and have to shoot them either on foot or from your vehicle, but equal time is spent talking to people, and gathering clues to complete your quests or to try and engage in a relationship (ie: have sex) with one of the fine hot space aliens. You can even try and bang a blue chick....Kirk would be proud. I can't say how many hours it would take to finish the games main story line yet as I have mostly been doing side missions to gain experiance.

Edited by moycon

In this game, I'm not sure if I'm playing the coolest Sci-Fi game ever, or watching this totally kick ass new Sci Fi drama. It is so DAMN GOOD. Hell, a buddy of mine who *hates* RPGs is playing it.

This is the most fun RPG I've played. Characters that are actually like real people, awesome settings and a great story, and real time combat that's like gears of war with upgradability.

Game of the Year, in my book!

It sits on my shelf taunting me.

I want to play so bad, but I want to finish Assassin's Creed first.

I know I won't go back and finish it once I start Mass Effect.

Hopefully this week, with any luck, I can join you all in gushing.

How are the bugs that the reviews have been talking about.

(slow down, frame rate, lock ups, pop ups, etc.)

It amuses me that the reviews are all in the high 9's even with the bugs.

Must be something amazing.

It sits on my shelf taunting me.

I want to play so bad, but I want to finish Assassin's Creed first.

I finished Assassin's Creed just as I picked up Mass Effect. I made the mistake of popping in Uncharted: Drakes Fortune into my PS3 though, and I'm hooked. :lust:

I know once I open Mass Effect though, that all my free time is going out the window. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Finished a play through today. Clocked in at around 60 hours, although that number is inflated due to leaving my group stand around and heal (and sometimes forgetting about them) and leaving the game sit when I get called away. I'd put a play through at around more like 40 hours provided you go after all or most of the side quests.

Easily one of my favorite games of all time.

The story was epic, the graphics were awesome, I'm a huge RPG fan so this game really appealed to me, unfortunately, this could be a negative to folks who don't. You'll spend a lot of time interacting with people and exploring planets, which while each planet has it's own unique look (snowy, firey..ect.) Some of the interiors you explore have a very similar look even though you're supposedly traveling between solar systems.

I didn't really have much of a frame rate issue. Although there was one time when after leaving an underground location, my game suddenly started chugging along to the point it was unplayable. I tried to reload my game save...no good. I had to reboot. Luckily I had just saved, so I really didnt lose anything. As awesome as the story and ending were, I felt they tacked on the last part. They should have cut this about 2 minutes shorter in my opinion. Or tacked it on AFTER the credit. Totally un-necessary follow up that kinda disrupted the fabulous ending. Remember how you felt when the Death Star exploded? That's how you'll feel at the end of this game, maybe more so.

I have about 50% of the achievements after the first play though, I'm guessing I'll need to play through at least 2 more time to get them all. This isn't going to be an issue though. This time I played through as a good guy who was mainly a soldier, next time I will play through as bad-ass maybe who specializes in biotics, after that who knows. Regardless it'll be a pleasure to play through again when I do.

Edited by moycon

I'm a HUGE fan of this game. I'm still pretty early in the main quest, though I've just clocked in 19 hours as of tonight. It's just that I keep hitting on all of the side quests.

The story writing in this game is absolutely wonderful. One of those tales that really engrosses you. My biggest worry was that Bioware was going to botch the combat, and I was VERY glad to discover that they did no such thing. The RPG elements, for me at least, makes the combat that much better, because I want to see how my weapons, armor, tech and biotic enhancements will perform when I encounter enemies.

Just an overall perfect marriage of action, story and deep mechanics.

Really wouldn't be fair to call it simply one of the best games of the year, butone of those games that has actually eleveated video games to the next level.

I chuckled reading some of the previous posts though. I want to get Assassin's Creed to. But then realized that I simply don't have the time to play it until after I finish Mass Effect. So I'm using that to my advantage: wait until after the Holidays to get it, which allows me to have some spare cash for extra presents for family.

Giving is better than receiving! LOL Happy Holidays!

• 2 months later...

Made it through my second playthrough yesterday. Unfortunately I must have played the last time on my other 360 because this time I didn't get the achievement for playing through the game twice. I DID get the achievement for beating the game on HARDCORE, which is odd because you can't unlock HARDCORE without playing through once I don't think. Anyways, I'm going to try playing through the game on INSANE at some point. So I guess I'll get it then. I played the first few minutes , and let me tell you, it seemed pretty tough. HARDCORE to me was actually easier, I'm guessing because I knew what to expect. Even knowing what to expect, I think INSANE is going to be tough.

• 2 weeks later...
try playing it being a total dick the entire game. Funny as hell, plus you get the see the pg rated sex scene.

Heh, useful advice, you don't absolutely have to be a dick to get the ladies. I was about as much of a Paragon as possible during my first play-through, and I still got the "sex scene" (w/Liara). I use that term very loosely...

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This game is totally worth $20. If you haven't played it...GET IT!

:)

Yes it is.... Once I figured out the combat system, which caught me off guard. I was expecting the system from

Knights of the old Republic. And the Inventory/upgrade systems kinda funky... And those damn elevator rides...

Well i sped those up with a hard drive install.... But yes.. this game is awesome! So glad I got it..... I've done about a

dozen side missions... I'll be playing this every night after work.

my other christmas games will have to wait...burnout paradise, lego star wars and civ rev.

-rick

PS. I really hope Bioware is making that MMO star wars game for the 360!

I beat it last year - very good game. I happened to like the cinematic filter. Word of advice to anyone looking ot play it: play as female becuse the voice acting of the main charachter is better.

The bring down the sky add-on adds almost nothing to the game, unless I missed something. Some side quest about an asteroid or something that was very forgettable.

I was wondering if the elevator rides would benefit from an HDD install. Thanks for the info!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I beat it! Great game! I'm on my 2nd play through,

Don't waste the $5 for the DLC bringing down the sky.... or what ever it's called.....

it's way too short!.. I was expecting more!

like visiting terra nova after i saved

it from the asteroid crash!

why do they tease me! WHY!

-rick

This game is totally worth $20. If you haven't played it...GET IT!

:)

Yes it is.... Once I figured out the combat system, which caught me off guard. I was expecting the system from

Knights of the old Republic. And the Inventory/upgrade systems kinda funky... And those damn elevator rides...

Well i sped those up with a hard drive install.... But yes.. this game is awesome! So glad I got it..... I've done about a

dozen side missions... I'll be playing this every night after work.

my other christmas games will have to wait...burnout paradise, lego star wars and civ rev.

-rick

PS. I really hope Bioware is making that MMO star wars game for the 360!

• 2 weeks later...
Finished the Colony. Still really, really enjoying this, even if I am saving my game like a madman.

I saved my game more then 100 times before i beat the game. My 360 locked up a couple times...

So i saved alot in that game.... after the new xbox update i installed mass effect to the hard drive.

that fixed the disk read errors.

once I'm done playing halo wars i plan on going thru a second play of mass effect... this time as

a renegade..

-rick

Been through it as a good guy and a bad guy, I plan to play again on the HARD setting (or whatever its called) I think I started a HARD game months ago.

I remember thinking....it was certainly HARD.

I think it'll be doable though. Just have to take your time and really plan things out.

Edited by moycon

I have finally gotten around to really starting this game now. I put it in for about an hour sometime last year but it wasn't until last week that I dedicated myself to focusing on this game. I am about 12 hours in now. This is definitely a unique game and I am enjoying most aspects of it.

The combat system frustrates me at some points. I am betting that it gets easier as the game goes along and you build your character but there are some parts of the game that have had me ripping my hair out. The real big one is both parts of the Matriarch fight. It took me about 20 tries to get the first part of the fight and the second part of the fight took even more. The thing that makes it particularly frustrating is that you have to watch the darn cut scenes each time. In this first part you can't skip the final part of the cutscene and in the second part you can skip each part of the conversation but there are some dialog options you have to pick. If you are like me you want to pick particular options and you don't want to change them. So in the second part I would go through all these dialog options and it would take over a minute to do the load and then the dialog but if I was going to be unsuccessful the fight would only be a couple of seconds. So there was a lot of idle time for only a few seconds of fighting. The bottom-line on that fight is that it feels like the AI is cheap especially if you get knocked to the ground right away and you just can't get up before getting killed.

The aspect of exploring planets is awesome. I did not know about that part of the game until I got thrown into it and I love this part of the game. It would be nice if the environments were a little more varied and unique though. I also love the Citadel and other friendly explorable areas with the side quests and in-depth dialog.

All in all this is a great game with a few things that will hopefully be improved in the sequel.