IGNORED

Testing Floppy Drives

Guitarman

Since I have so much hardware now to test/repair/restore/etc.... , I am building a set of tools to test/repair everything to the best of my ability. I am ordering from Best, the SALT test cart and supporting hardware for testing all the computers.

This leads me to the drives now. What is/are the best means for testing the Atari floppy drives?? This would include Indus, Rana and any other Atari compatible drives. I am assuming it would be a software solution that runs read-write tests and so forth.

Any suggestions or methods welcomed!!!

Edited by Guitarman

Since I have so much hardware now to test/repair/restore/etc.... , I am building a set of tools to test/repair everything to the best of my ability. I am ordering from Best, the SALT test cart and supporting hardware for testing all the computers.

This leads me to the drives now. What is/are the best means for testing the Atari floppy drives?? This would include Indus, Rana and any other Atari compatible drives. I am assuming it would be a software solution that runs read-write tests and so forth.

Any suggestions or methods welcomed!!!

Most useful to less useful:

Service Manuals (available for all Atari drives, Rana, and maybe Indus)

Diagnostic Disks (available for Indus from BEST, 1050 from B&C)

A good commercial non-copy protected disk for checking track alignment and speed. Or a "master" disk still available from B&C, I believe.

Spare parts for swapping

Soldering/desoldering equipment (& practice/experience desoldering)

Analog alignment disk & Oscilloscope

Luck! still helps sometimes ;)

-Larry

Well, a sector copier would be a quick & dirty way to test a drive, or a couple of drives... also SmartDOS and IIRC SpartaDOS 3.2 both have drive RPM test utilities, definitely worth using.

Good point. And I should probably add a disk speed checking utility. Smart Dos has a good one included.

-Larry