IGNORED

What is the best system ever (just your opinion)?

Stepping aside from the newer systems such as the GC, PS2 and XBOX. Id have to say the best system ever in my opinion would have to be... a tie. A tie between the Jaguar and the 3DO. I say these 2 because both systems came out with games that broke the mold in gaming in some cases and both came out with games that didnt look xactly the same and follow the same boring non-interesting game titles like some other systems (PSX, N64.....) Well just my opinion :)

Best system - PC engine - no contest...

Jaguar and 3DO - c'mon, games that were marginally better than 16bit titles in some cases or lots worse than 1st gen PS1 or Saturn titles!!!!

Don't me wrong I love the Jaguar and had fun on the 3DO, but they were machines without markets...

sTeVE

Jaguar and 3DO - c'mon, games that were marginally better than 16bit titles in some cases or lots worse than 1st gen PS1 or Saturn titles!!!!

Don't me wrong I love the Jaguar and had fun on the 3DO, but they were machines without markets...

sTeVE

Well you cant really compare the Jag to the saturn and psx, i mean the Jag did come out earlier than both those systems. Theres tons more to games than just the graphix, i mean whats the point of playing a gorgeous looking game if its boring as hell and just doesnt have enough to keep you into it. In my opinion alot of the Jag games had enough to keep you interested in the title to play through the whole game AND made you want to play more of it after youre done beating it. Some games of course were either below the average 16 bit games and/or matched 16bit graphix and such, but then again the 3DO had those kind of games, as well as the Saturn, PSX and so on.

The 3DO died because of the ridiculous price tags it had. Not everyone was in a rush to go spend 800.00 the first day it came out. Raher if it was 250-300 at launch i believe it would have lasted longer than it did. And with more sales of the system the more third party companies and such would hop on and utilize the 3DO's capabilities. The system had great potential to revial the Sega Saturn and PSX, i mean after all it was doing stuff that the PSX and Saturn was doing BEFORE they were released.

I even found a prototype of the memory card the 3DO company was working on, along with memory xpansion, vcd cards, upgrades etc..etc.. So definitly the 3do was way ahead in the home console industry.

I'm a huge fan of the 3DO and Jag hence why i stick up for them :)

PS2

The best system would have to be PS2 because it has a dvd player and lots of great games, the graphics are great and the controller isn't scewed up like dreamcast and gamecube( nothin against gamecube, its a great system :D ).

but that is just my opinion :ponder:

When the Jag and 3DO came out the whole games developement industry knew about, and was either working on waiting to begin work on, the NEW consoles from Sega and SONY. No one wanted to bother with Atari (once bitten) and no one knew what 3DO wanted education, multimedia - but heavens forbid games!!

Sure the systems were out before the PS1 and Saturn, but nothing on those systems convinced the public that either was a viable alternative to existing 16bit systems or as exciting as the new consoles just around the corner...

I'm not talking about graphics here, just gameplay...

Take a Jaguar and a SNES - nothing on the Jaguar is as wonderful as Secret of Mana, Zelda, Yoshi's Island, Super Ghoul's and Ghosts etc etc etc - heck even Starfox is more fun than Cybermorph the packin title!

The 3DO - I can't think of a good game for that poor old dodo (maybe Madden and Road Rash), it may have been better than SegaCD, but not by much, too slow, too expensive, too few games...

I do love my old Jaguar, but its not machine with many good games - sorry....

sTeVE

sTeVE

Well, JET, I agree with Jaghammer; Jaguar and 3DO are a tie. So... :P

I have a DC, PSX, Saturn and many classic/vintage systems and I'd sell them all off before I got rid of my 3DO and Jaguar. I wouldn't trade them for ANYTHING, including 10 XBOX's and a 15,000 dollar Silicon graphics machine... :P

Sure they had games that stunk, but the great ones more than make up for all these other systems combined to me...

And I personally think that Cybermorph TOTALLY blows Starfox out of the water, and it's just an average Jag game to me... :P

Ever try the sequel Battlemorph? If not, you've missed out BIG TIME!!!

Hey, at least we both love the Atari 8-bit. :wink:

And I personally think that Cybermorph TOTALLY blows Starfox out of the water, and it's just an average Jag game to me... :P

Ever try the sequel Battlemorph? If not, you've missed out BIG TIME!!!

Hey, at least we both love the Atari 8-bit. :wink:

Definitly dude, Battlemorph is a kick ass game,definitly a great sequel.

Well, JET, I agree with Jaghammer; Jaguar and 3DO are a tie. So...  

I have a DC, PSX, Saturn and many classic/vintage systems and I'd sell them all off before I got rid of my 3DO and Jaguar. I wouldn't trade them for ANYTHING, including 10 XBOX's and a 15,000 dollar Silicon graphics machine...  

Sure they had games that stunk, but the great ones more than make up for all these other systems combined to me...

I myself wouldnt trade mine for anything either, and all systems have bad games that should never have been released, some worse than others :|

Yup I have Battlemorph, and most other Jag games- except a few "un released" ones. I find Battlemorph is very average IMHO...

And I do like many Jag games - Iron soldier 1 & 2, Battlesphere, Tempest 2K (no that was a game without EQUAL on any system at the time), so I'm not a system hater, just a realist that says in the annals of video game history the Jag (and 3DO) are also rans - the fairchild channel f or bally astrocade of their day...

But I still maintain that Jaguar software was far below the quality the market demands.The system simply had not the depth of product available nor the BIG titles to sway the buying public.

Amongst the huge quantities of SNES and Genesis games there are more good games than the entire Jaguar catalog.

And whilst none of this is never going to convince dyed in the wool Atari fans (simply 'cos ya won't let it) the truth is that one KEY factor why the Jaguar died (and the Lynx too) is 'cos the games were overall quite poor when compared with the offerings on competitor systems - sad, but true...

sTeVE

I really don't think the Lynx failed for lack of good games. Look at the Nomad, that failed yet had every Mega Drive game. The same applies to the Neo Geo pocket, it failed, but has some great games. Pretty much every system competing with the Game Boy has failed (although the Game Gear didn’t do all that badly).

NES is the best, it had some of the best games. The graphics weren't that great, but the game play was there.

:ponder:

I played a 3do once, it was at somebody's house, and it had some kind of quiz show game? 3do does have one of my all-time favorite games though, Quarantine.

But I still maintain that Jaguar software was far below the quality the market demands.The system simply had not the depth of product available nor the BIG titles to sway the buying public.

Amongst the huge quantities of SNES and Genesis games there are more good games than the entire Jaguar catalog.

And whilst none of this is never going to convince dyed in the wool Atari fans (simply 'cos ya won't let it) the truth is that one KEY factor why the Jaguar died (and the Lynx too) is 'cos the games were overall quite poor when compared with the offerings on competitor systems - sad, but true...

sTeVE

Sorry, I just can't agree with this and it has NOTHING to do with being a hard core Atari fan, I think the 3DO is just as good after all, for example. I own the other systems and have the great games on them too, but I always come back to my Jaguar and 3DO because I LOVE many of the games and I don't think the OTHER systems compare in gameplay. I feel just the opposite and could say exactly the same things about your favorite systems as far as I'm concerned. I prefer playing the 3DO and Jag any day of the week over my DC, PSX, Genesis and even my bro's XBOX. It has NOTHING to do with nostalgia or some misguided loyalties. They are ten times as fun to play in my book.

Besides which, the guy just asked for people's opinion on what their all-time favorite system/s are and not a response from "the commitee" as to whether someone's ideas of what the best system is are "whack." So stick to telling what your favorite is and quit belittling other's choices. JEESE. :roll:

I got news for you, the MAJORITY is NOT always right. If you think that's the case, then go follow the majority. I'll stick to what I think is good and will NEVER be turned by what is most popular. PERIOD. I'll make my own choices...

Gunstar,

You're right - the guy asked for which system you think is the best - and I made the thread meander off, sorry...

Like I said my favorite is the PCEngine, note - not the SNES or Genesis, I feels its a shame lively debate can be censured to staying rigid :(

However:

The truth is I'm not saying the MAJORITY are right or wrong, and cetainly not using poularity as justification for my opinion. The quality of a system's game library, the tangable quality of the hardware and the inventivness of the developers are key tennants of an analysis of a system.....

On the one hand quality attracts consumers, on the other hand so does hype. We are not talking the best graphics or best sounding, but the best system and best game - I am assuming we are therefore talking GAMEPLAY.

Just tell me, and show me, that the Jaguar or the 3DO is a better system than the SNES in pure gameplay terms and I'll shut up.

I'm questioning the opinion and position and asking why and what says that these two can be judged as "the best" because objectivley I cannot see it.

For me its simple, the gamplay content delivered on those two platfroms (Jaguar and 3DO) is inferior to other systems available at the time.

I'm not asking for confrontation, but rather that such a question, when posed can become a discussion not a "shut up 'cos we don't like our beliefs being questioned"...

sTeVE

Gunstar,

You're right - the guy asked for which system you think is the best - and I made the thread meander off, sorry...

Like I said my favorite is the PCEngine, note - not the SNES or Genesis, I feels its a shame lively debate can be censured to staying rigid :(

From my understanding the PCengine IS the non-north american version of the GENESIS. If not, enlighten me...

On the one hand quality attracts consumers, on the other hand so does hype. We are not talking the best graphics or best sounding, but the best system and best game - I am assuming we are therefore talking GAMEPLAY.

Exactly. We are talking GAMEPLAY, as I stated ABUNDANTLY, and I PERSONALLY think the Jag and #DO are best in this catagory just like you do of the PCengine, but I don't belittle your idea of what's best.

Just tell me, and show me, that the Jaguar or the 3DO is a better system than the SNES in pure gameplay terms and I'll shut up.

Just show ME that the PCengine and SNES are better gameplay wise...it's all a matter of PERSONAL PREFERANCE.

I'm not asking for confrontation, but rather that such a question, when posed can become a discussion not a "shut up 'cos we don't like our beliefs being questioned"...

Your the one that confronted us with our choices. I didn't come out and say.."Oh come on...the PCengine sucks, it's gameplay sucks and it's got a lot of terrible games for it." (all systems have bad games. PERIOD.)

sTeVE

First off, read the quote because I responded to some of your stuff in there. Then continue below please.

I'm just sick of people suggesting that I defend "inferior" systems due to some misguided loyalty or something. I pick them because I enjoy them the most just like you obviously enjoy the PCengine the most. We obviosly both have some opinions that are agreed upon (8-bit) and those that aren't (JAG/3DO/PCengine(genesis?)), but I don't go off telling people they don't have a clue because the prefer another system to me. YOU DO. Now, I'm not angry at you. As far as I'm concerned it's perfectly cool that you prefer the PCengine, just show me the same courtesy...me and Jaghammer. But whether I'm right or wrong about the PCengine and Genesis being the same, I'm not belittling your liking it. I actually think the Genesis is better than it's 16-bit contemporaries too.

But respond to this if you want, that's fine, but I won't be responding to it anymore since it is all a matter of OPINION whether you see it or not. I don't want us hating each other over something that is so unimportant as what our favorite systems are anyway.

OK, I think I know remember that the PCengine is the equivilant to the US Turbografix-16? So what was the Genesis called in Japan, I thought it had another name...no? As for the TG-16/PCengine, I almost bought one once, with the cd add-on and wish I had now, because I could have gotten it with software (like 12 games) for $25 at a swap meet. It always looked cool and I remember the old commercials and it looked cool on them, but I also remember getting NEC mixed up with NINTENDO(NES) and originally thought it was Nintendo's counter to the Genesis. Anywho, I've no opinion on that as I've never played it. But was the Genesis called something else?