IGNORED

What is the best system ever (just your opinion)?

I would have to say, that the NES is my favorite game system of all time, I agree with stan that the 2600 gave hours upon hours of solid game play, and probably should be my number one, but I'm basing my opinion on how much use it gets, and the good ole' 2600 can't compare to my collection of 600+ NES Titles...Perhpas if I had more 2600 games my feelings would be different, but until that happens... it's NES for me :!:

Dave

"M"

Best? By what critera?

I still think that the most innovative console ever created is the 32X. It was an upgrade to a popular console, you could still use your existing library of games, if you had the CD expansion you could play new CD-based games that used the new hardware in it. It was perfect, right up until the point where not enough people bought it and the developers bailed.

The overall best (as in most popular, biggest library, most developers) is probably the Playstation, I'm sorry to say. Homogenised for your protection -- no nasty innovation here.

Fav. 32X game = Virtua Racing, but I haven't played Kolibri.

Fav. PSX game = Wipeout 2097

Gunstar,

The Genesis is the US version of the Megadrive, the Turbografx is the poor cousin of the PCEngine...

I don't think many people would be able to quote the PCE as the best system - simply 'cos of the langauge problems with the Japanese software (although it never put me off)...

I'll shut up now...

:)

sTeVE

Gunstar,

the Turbografx is the poor cousin of the PCEngine...

sTeVE

NEC didn't quite market the TurboGrafx 16 as heavily as it needed... not to mention the fact that several games released in Japan were not released in North America due to pressure on developers from Nintendo.

BUT....

If you have a US Turbo Duo or Turbo CD, you will be able to play almost the entire catalogue of games on either of those two systems, without internal modification. The only titles that will not function on the North American units are early System 1 card based CD games (I think Altered Beast is one) and the SuperGrafx HuCards. The Japanese systems would require an internal mod to play the US released HuCards, and there are a few US only releases...

The one thing in all of this that has always cofused me is - why did NEC go through all the trouble of redesigning the system for the North American (and French) market? The original PCE was so small.. they even had to enlarge the motherboard for the Tg16 for god's sake?!!?

I think the Lynx had the highest percentage of excellent titles. Only a very few totally stink. The same goes for the Dreamcast.

Both of these systems were highly innovative in their time going in new directions for gamers and offering great games never seen before. Admit it, when you saw how the ground scaled in Blue Lightning back in 1990-1 your jaw dropped and you were flabbergasted at what the little Lynx could do.

Best?  By what critera?

I still think that the most innovative console ever created is the 32X.  It was an upgrade to a popular console, you could still use your existing library of games, if you had the CD expansion you could play new CD-based games that used the new hardware in it.  It was perfect, right up until the point where not enough people bought it and the developers bailed.

The overall best (as in most popular, biggest library, most developers) is probably the Playstation, I'm sorry to say.  Homogenised for your protection -- no nasty innovation here.

Fav. 32X game = Virtua Racing, but I haven't played Kolibri.

Fav. PSX game = Wipeout 2097

Dead right Krisjohn,

I just recentley recovered a 32X. You simply cannot go wrong playing Virtua Racing 32X or Virtua Fighter 32X. I spent many years of my mature youth playing these games with my buddies and these are the gameplay classics. If any one disagrees, then you've not played them.

As always,

Markimus of K.

With what seems to be a rather unpopular opinion, My favorite system was the SNES fav game without a doubt Zelda. I rode My SNES straight thru to the PSX, had to go back afterwards and get the Saturn, N64 and mods for the Genesis. So while I may have missed out on the "moment" for some of the systems but I was young at the time and had to chose one and I made my choice SNES.

I own and like NES, SNES, Genesis W/32x and cd, Atari 7800, Odyssey2, PSX, PS2, N64, Dreamcast, Xbox, Saturn, GBC, and a Nomad.

But I will always Pick SNES over another equally as good Genesis is because SNES did it all with add-ons or any mods of any sort IMHO

With what seems to be a rather unpopular opinion, My favorite system was the SNES fav game without a doubt Zelda. I rode My SNES straight thru to the PSX, had to go back afterwards and get the Saturn, N64 and mods for the Genesis. So while I may have missed out on the "moment" for some of the systems but I was young at the time and had to chose one and I made my choice SNES.

I own and like NES, SNES, Genesis W/32x and cd, Atari 7800, Odyssey2, PSX, PS2, N64, Dreamcast, Xbox, Saturn, GBC, and a Nomad.

But I will always Pick SNES over another equally as good Genesis is because SNES did it all with add-ons or any mods of any sort IMHO

I'd say the SNES because of two simple words:

SUPER METROID!

The NES would be next for METROID

Then the Genesis.

As this is the modern gaming forum, I'm leaving the truly great systems out of my judgement.

Hey gamers, I bet you've played tons of games, but out of all of them, tell me the best system and the best game for it, just your opinion

Mine is

PS2-Medal of Honor Frontline

I've just got a PS to play that game... it's all right, I like the graphics... but it's kinda dumb, I finished just 2 days after some playing... I don't know, too easy...

Just my two cents

Osbo

• 3 weeks later...

This has always been a tough question. The majority of game systems that have hit the mainstream could have an excusable argument for the title for many different reasons. Having said that, I'd have to go with the Dreamcast. A sizable collection of software with such a large percentage of the games ranging from good to great is simply unprecedented. The chances were quite high that someone could go pick up a Dreamcast and a random game, and that game would turn out to be good. On the other hand, grabbing a Playstation and a random game, the odds are very likely that the game would be complete and utter crap.

I'd have to put the TG-16 (PC Engine) as a close second, although I'm sure my relatively low exposure to many of the Japanese titles that never made their way over here holds back my opinion. Still, though, the TG-16 had a very high percentage of good to great games in comparison to it's entire library.

I think my favorite systems are the ps2(backwards compatible..awesome!!)

and the Atari 8bit home computers(800xl is what i have)

The ps2 does everything I need for a modern system, and I like the controllers for it.

My Atari 800xl is great for vintage arcade ports, has a great game library and the carts were extremely well built. I have a 2600 as well but it gets meybe 10% the playing that the 800xl does.