IGNORED

I cant believe it...The Hyperscan lives on!

swlovinist

I would recommend opening it. I got mine today and the box was beat to hell and I'm kinda ticked about that, but it was 11 bucks. What can I do. So anyway, I opened it up and well. I have been playing the damn thing all afternoon.
:lol: Got ya hooked, did it?

A quick edit, just because I did ignore the load time issue completely. Yes, things take a little too long to load. I call it an "opportunity for beer drinking."

I thought that was just an oddity of the original PlayStation.

If Circuit City is really selling these still, you can get FOUR of them for $29.28, with free shipping! If these do go anywhere with modders/hackers/homebrewers, I will be kicking myself in the ass for not shelling out the $30, when I'd be getting a system with two controllers, three backup systems and two backup controllers.

I'm a minimalist to my core and not fanatical about much, so I have room to easily store 30 of these things - buying a few would be no big deal. Even if the only thing ever put out homebrew wise was a cute tetris clone, $10 for a cd player that plays tetris really isn't so bad, the lcd handhelds cost more than that - Plus it sounds like there are at least two good games for it already.

Edited by MausGames

OK, so they are back in stock, but you can order only one at a time. MOre than that and they tell you it is "out of stock," so I am guessing there are limited quantities. I got one more for the controller and maybe to take apart and had one shipped to my nephew.

So the shipping sucks, but it's still $11.

If Circuit City is really selling these still, you can get FOUR of them for $29.28, with free shipping! If these do go anywhere with modders/hackers/homebrewers, I will be kicking myself in the ass for not shelling out the $30, when I'd be getting a system with two controllers, three backup systems and two backup controllers.

I'm a minimalist to my core and not fanatical about much, so I have room to easily store 30 of these things - buying a few would be no big deal. Even if the only thing ever put out homebrew wise was a cute tetris clone, $10 for a cd player that plays tetris really isn't so bad, the lcd handhelds cost more than that - Plus it sounds like there are at least two good games for it already.

I don't know what's wrong with me that this is my most-contributed-to thread in a long time, but I just got back from cleaning out my local Toys R' Us of about everything Hyperscan they had. Everything was in their clearance section--the games were down to $6.99 and the card packs were $3.99. I spent a decent chunk of change, but figure I will be able to recoup some of it on eBay--I've noticed that the Marvel Heroes one is decently hard to find so I took all of those.

Oddly enough, the controllers were still $10. I didn't buy any.

I got all the little display cases as well, so I am setting up a nice little Hyperscan display area. I am a huge dork.

PS, I do not work for Mattel.

I don't know what's wrong with me that this is my most-contributed-to thread in a long time, but I just got back from cleaning out my local Toys R' Us of about everything Hyperscan they had. Everything was in their clearance section--the games were down to $6.99 and the card packs were $3.99. I spent a decent chunk of change, but figure I will be able to recoup some of it on eBay--I've noticed that the Marvel Heroes one is decently hard to find so I took all of those.

Oddly enough, the controllers were still $10. I didn't buy any.

I got all the little display cases as well, so I am setting up a nice little Hyperscan display area. I am a huge dork.

PS, I do not work for Mattel.

Were you able to score the "Unicorn" titles? The super-rare Spiderman or Avatar games? I know Spiderman is one of the best games for the system (along with Marvel Heros). The last few games released were definitely the best for the system.

This system is one of those love it or hate it designs -- All the red and black theming reminds me of the Atari Jaguar, which is why I love it.

I went to the walmart here, nothing. I plan on going to target tomorrow and toys'r'us, see if there's anything there. I'm not real hopeful, nothing ever makes its way to this frekkin town. I think only a handful of FB2's even made it here. Let alone the hyperscan. Anyway...

I'm gonna go check and see if I can get another controller and a booster pack of cards for X-men and see if I can get that Ben10 game, it looks neat.

If anyone's interested, I found a linux that may work on it, if anyone's interested in trying to port it over.

http://www.rocklinux.org/wiki/Main_Page

I can script but not that well, and I'm real busy most of the time so I don't have chances to really get into a project like this one.

Nathan

NEC (originators of the tg16/PCEngine) never officially manufactured/sold PAL versions of the said consoles as they never saw the UK/Europe as being a viable market

If memory serves me right they (NEC) sold the PAL manufacturing rights to a British company (can't remember the name, but it had 'media' somewhere in the name), I can't remember if they managed to sell or manufacture any PAL units

I only remember the PC engine/tg16 from the modded Japanese versions that SHEKANA used to import and sell in the UK (They were based in Tottenham court road, London)

It really is ugly. The packaging is hideous as well; it really looks like these things were released in the 90s.

Any chance of a launch over here...guess not, all mattel have to do is just look at the feedback on w/s's like AA to put them off the idea....shame

Don't feel too bad yet. Until someone actually runs arbitrary code on it, it's an ugly plastic paperweight.

Any chance of a launch over here...guess not, all mattel have to do is just look at the feedback on w/s's like AA to put them off the idea....shame

Don't feel too bad yet. Until someone actually runs arbitrary code on it, it's an ugly plastic paperweight.

Well, if all you tried was the awful IWL on lukewarm X-men -- then I totally agree.

If you fired up Marvel Heros or Spiderman, then you'd probably feel differently.

It really is ugly. The packaging is hideous as well; it really looks like these things were released in the 90s.

This thing totally screams Atari Jaguar to me. Even the box art is similar with the same Black/Red style. The HyperScan is a total 1990s throwback. Is retro cool right now? I dunno.

NEC (originators of the tg16/PCEngine) never officially manufactured/sold PAL versions of the said consoles as they never saw the UK/Europe as being a viable market

If memory serves me right they (NEC) sold the PAL manufacturing rights to a British company (can't remember the name, but it had 'media' somewhere in the name), I can't remember if they managed to sell or manufacture any PAL units

I only remember the PC engine/tg16 from the modded Japanese versions that SHEKANA used to import and sell in the UK (They were based in Tottenham court road, London)

There does exist PAL, European TurboGrafx (no 16 in the title) units from my understanding they were sold only on a test market basis in Southern England and Spain. Some time ago there was a seller who would consistently list them on ebay.co.uk however at the present time there does not appear to be any listed.

This thing totally screams Atari Jaguar to me. Even the box art is similar with the same Black/Red style. The HyperScan is a total 1990s throwback. Is retro cool right now? I dunno.

Jaguar had way better packaging. Thing thing is a cube box with marvel characters all over it.

OK, so they are back in stock, but you can order only one at a time. MOre than that and they tell you it is "out of stock," so I am guessing there are limited quantities. I got one more for the controller and maybe to take apart and had one shipped to my nephew.

So the shipping sucks, but it's still $11.

Same here. I ordered one, then after I checked out, I went back on the site to see if there were anymore to be had, and the site now says out of stock online...Did I just get the last one? I wanted four of them.

I checked at walmart, and they want $40 for the console still.

Edited by SINGLE TOOTH

Jaguar had way better packaging. Thing thing is a cube box with marvel characters all over it.

Well, I like X-men alot. So i prefer the HyperScan art compared to Cybermorph!

I got my Circuit City order of two systems today, rather unexpectedly. Like, "they haven't charged my credit card yet" unexpextedly.

CC has some crappy order packers. They were crammed side-by-side into a box that wasn't wide enough to hold the systems, and a single sheet of crumpled kraft paper cushioned only the tops of the machines. So, both of my system boxes are bent up a bit... oh well, still better condition than the shelf-worn stuff I see floating around at Targets and Wal-Marts.

Haven't opened them up yet, and frankly, I'm not keen to play them. I might wait until I get one of the better games.

I got my Circuit City order of two systems today, rather unexpectedly. Like, "they haven't charged my credit card yet" unexpextedly.

CC has some crappy order packers. They were crammed side-by-side into a box that wasn't wide enough to hold the systems, and a single sheet of crumpled kraft paper cushioned only the tops of the machines. So, both of my system boxes are bent up a bit... oh well, still better condition than the shelf-worn stuff I see floating around at Targets and Wal-Marts.

Haven't opened them up yet, and frankly, I'm not keen to play them. I might wait until I get one of the better games.

Look for the cards, not the games, they're the rare things. Every game I get I'm gonna rip the image and upload it for all, but you have to find the cards to play them.

Nathan

What the hell ! ? ! ?

I mean, why do I even click these threads ! :x

I bought two :)

Ah, another convert! I'm working on something to make the two machines talk to each other, so it's good you got two right off the bat. Also you can play two player with two controllers. And once any kind of program gets devised you'll have a small network.

Nathan