IGNORED

I cant believe it...The Hyperscan lives on!

swlovinist

Attention Wal-Mart shoppers!

Check the toy clearance aisle to see if they've got HS accessories. At my store, HS Booster Packs have dropped to $1, game discs to $4. Of course, the toy department manager hasn't bothered labeling or price-marking anyting, and they were still showing $4 and $15 respectively... price scanners showed the true price. So, grab some stuff and head to a price scanner, and see what your local store is charging.

Me, I picked up a copy apiece of Ben 10 and IWL, 5 packs of X-Men cards, 5 of IWL cards.

I only scanned through these 5 pages but has any homebrewer actually programmed anything to run on this thing?

From what I've seen, no.

It does look to be a fairly open system, though, so we'll probably see something eventually, even if I think the announcements of specific games to be ported is a bit premature.

I only scanned through these 5 pages but has any homebrewer actually programmed anything to run on this thing?

No, not yet. I've got emails out all over trying to figure out which language this thing speaks, waiting to try to get a dev kit or a linux for it. Working on it.

Yeah, it's a very open system. i even found male-A to male-A usb cables so I can communicate to it from a Linux PC. Talk about a hard find. It's one step closer, though.

I'm gonna gol check out the other walmarts in El Paso, see if there are any accessories there. Thanks for the tip.

Nathan

No, not yet. I've got emails out all over trying to figure out which language this thing speaks, waiting to try to get a dev kit or a linux for it. Working on it.

Yeah, it's a very open system.

I'm curious where this idea keeps coming from. Does anyone even know if it will run unsigned executables, once someone figures out a language and/or compiler?

How are you communicating with it over USB?

Yeah, it's a very open system.

I'm curious where this idea keeps coming from. Does anyone even know if it will run unsigned executables, once someone figures out a language and/or compiler?

How are you communicating with it over USB?

I can only guess about the first question. But based on what I have observed, hyper.exe has to be on the disk for it to be read. No other cd's have been read, not even music cd's without hyper.exe. But the os (whatever it is) on the console doesn't know what to do with other data that is not for a game. But in theory once we figure out a language, we canmake executables and full programs for it. I've got a second coonsole in the mail, just in case I have to delete some firmware to put on an actual OS. i think the key to it there is getting the firmware to recognize the usb port and other programs.

It isn't really communicating rather than sensing. Kubuntu saw there was a device and matched the clock of it (slower usb1) but did not communicate from there. Again, firmware is not talking. I don't want to flash it, cause there's no way to restore it but that's all speculation (like most of this talk, actually). Until I get some response from the makers...

Nathan

This link will help the homebrew software people...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hyperscangamer

That's an empty sourceforge project, with zero info, code or discussion. :?:

Its Pre-Alpha -- they're just getting started.

I know they are getting no help from any of the developers (Mattel, SunPlus). So

its all got to be hacking/reverse engineering.... Gonna probably take some time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick update. I've been in touch with Mattel and got the thanks but no thanks unsolicited idea letter, so I sent another one saying THIS IS NOT AN UNSOLICITED IDEA LETTER at the top. Hopefully they'll see I'm serious and interested in coding homebrews for it.

Also, I've found the manufacturer of the processor and am trying to finagle some kind of devkit from them to be used in the HS. I am in touch with a sales rep from SunPlus and we have ongoing negotiations.

I have gotten the local Linux user group in on the HS applications side of things. We're working on getting to the root of the operating system, which is eCOS (embedded computer operating system). I found cheap, old textbooks on the subject, planing on getting one. So now I'm not the only one.

I am also going to try to contact the original game coders in Minsk, Russia. We'll see how that goes.

So the quest goes on. Severl stumbling blocks, but the word is getting out.

Question for all: IF homebrews do materialize and you can even have the ability to download games directly to cd-rom and play in a matter of minutes, would you buy a console?

About talking with the sales rep, he wants to sell me a devkit for a different processor in hopes that I may design and build a totally seperate console, brand new. Is this of any interest to you cad junkies out there? :)

Nathan

About talking with the sales rep, he wants to sell me a devkit for a different processor in hopes that I may design and build a totally seperate console, brand new. Is this of any interest to you cad junkies out there? :)

Nathan

The question becomes, would it be compatible with anything? If it were compatible with something else, that would be a big plus in the new system's favor, otherwise you'll be lucky to sell five of the things, especially considering cost. Keep in mind that there are several new homebrew-like hardware systems, most notably the Gp2X line, and these systems, which are more in line with what you'd end up with if indeed the new platform wasn't compatible with anything else: http://www.xgamestation.com/

I hadn't thought about that, and it's a valid point, compatibility with other systems. I don't want it to end up being another xgamestation, that's for sure. Though it wasn't the original plan I thought to consider making a new console. I was basically thinking of a super HS, nothing more, with more ram and better load times, better graphics (maybe, not worried about graphics but gameplay). The HS games are sorely limited to beatem-up games. Anything I have a hand in producing will have an rpg slant to them. If this goes forward, it might have a famicom slot in it and call it a day :P

Any new device will have to be multi-function, though, like music player, movie player (???), game player, tool. Like PDA or something.

Oh yeah, and it'll have a flashlight built in cause that's just cool.

Nathan

/edit I was just looking at the xgs website, and wondered if any electronics classes were set up around that kit. Neat idea.

Edited by nathanallan

Hyperscan at Wal-mart $40. Seemed high to me, especially reading some of the post in this thread, I expected the system to cost much less. I told my wife I wanted one for the hell of it, but not paying $40.

You can get them online for less than $40, if you're really interested. Something like $11-$25, iirc. Check out Circuit City, they had them back in stock last I checked for $11.

Yeah, $40 is too much for this now.

Yep--Circuit City has them.

Nathan

Edited by nathanallan

I'd buy a HyperScan style console for $50 or less. I'd be looking for a console that is backwards compatible with music CDs' and has the ability to play mp3 files from the USB port. I'd be looking for one with a nice set of visualizations, and also be capable of loading extra visualizations from either the CD drive or the USB port. I'd expect the CD drive to read at 4x or higher, and the USB port to be 2.0 compliant with backwards compatibility to 1.1.

Another must would be to load games from either the CD drive, the USB port, or both. The USB port could be used to add levels to existing games, or to level up characters the way the cards do. Speaking of cards, perhaps a few cards could be released with new games. Maybe there'd be five cards for each game, and all five would be included with the game purchase.

In the box, I'd want to see the console, the AV cable, the power supply, and whatever literature is necessary. A demo disc would be nice, as well as a demo card, but they're not necessary.

And yes, if the Hyperscan is still available, I do plan to buy one sometime soon.

If things work out I'll have a few games that are better than toilet flushing. :lolblue:

Great suggestions, shadow! It seems the USB port is one of the funny variants, but I'll make it work. Somehow. Still working on getting info from the companies. But as far as buying one, you get the X-Men game, a pack of cards for it and one controller, at least. There's a "value" pack and you get two packs of cards and two controllers (plus power supply). I still haven't gotten it to play a cd, or do anything with the USB port. That part's still *pending.* Working on it.

I'm not planing on repackaging the console, if that's what you're thinking (I might be misunderstanding your post, though). Everything will be open-source, so you can burn off any games or apps and homebrew easy hardware. Or that's the plan, at least.

Nathan

/edit If anyone wants to give a stab at programming for this console, let me know, cause we who are already on it are about to sign an NDA and get goodies from SunPlus. I'll need some info and whatnot. PM me.

Edited by nathanallan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

quick update. No NDA is needed from the SunPlus guys as everything is open source and the chips are already in the console, therefore we don't need any more (regarding the NDA). I'm still looking at GCC. Some more linux guys are interested, so I'l see where that goes and try to contribute. Thank god Summer is coming.

Linux Forum

Nathan