IGNORED

The 2007 AtariAge Holiday Sale Has Arrived!

Albert

I was patient I knew Al would have even more orders than the past

But I also knew when he had the orders ready they would ship no risk of being taken probably one of the only sites on the net to buy games/hardware etc without worry

Mine has shipped so I hope next week My ol 7800 will be fired up with those new Arcade translations and cant wait for those 2600 homebrews!!!

Xmas in Feb Cant beat it :)

Xmas in Feb Cant beat it :)

You got that right! I should be getting mine any day now. Between the holiday order, and a few great deals I've gotten from the marketplace, it is either like Christmas or the prime of garage sale / flea market season!!

:)

Well, my Asteroids Deluxe cart doesn't work. :(

But luckily I have 11 other new games that came with that order to keep me amused for a while.

Edited by godzillajoe

OK, I've been playing since 7AM this morning, all the games I got are really good and Stella's Stocking is a blast.

One question though: Does Gingerbread Man not work in the 7800? All of my other games work fine in the 7800 but I had to switch the VCS for Gingerbread man. Is it just my 7800 that has this problem or all of them?

Edited by joeybastard

Ahhh, how I love the 7800. See my comment below..

OK, I've been playing since 7AM this morning, all the games I got a really good and Stella's Stocking is a blast.

One question though: Does Gingerbread Man not work in the 7800? All of my other games work fine in the 7800 but I had to switch the VCS for Gingerbread man. Is it just my 7800 that has this problem or all of them?

It should work in the 7800, but there are many 7800s that cause problems with some homebrew games. Generally these appear to be the systems that have the "kludge" circuit in them that Atari added for compatibility with Dark Chambers. I can swap the cart out for you, but it's likely that a replacement would behave the same on your 7800. This also affects 7800 games. I did test all the 7800 carts on my most stubborn 7800, but it doesn't surprise me that even then there are issues. Thanks, Atari!

..Al

OK, I've been playing since 7AM this morning, all the games I got a really good and Stella's Stocking is a blast.

It should work in the 7800, but there are many 7800s that cause problems with some homebrew games. Generally these appear to be the systems that have the "kludge" circuit in them that Atari added for compatibility with Dark Chambers. I can swap the cart out for you, but it's likely that a replacement would behave the same on your 7800. This also affects 7800 games. I did test all the 7800 carts on my most stubborn 7800, but it doesn't surprise me that even then there are issues. Thanks, Atari!

..Al

Nah, don't bother switching them. I was just curious if it was only my 7800 since it's the only Atari made console I have that has ever acted weird. All the others have always performed flawlessly but this one has weird power switch problems, sometimes the RF gets really bad momentarily, and some carts just take three tries to seat properly. I guess it's possessed. Thanks for the offer though and as usual, great job on this stuff, Al.

Edited by joeybastard

..Al

The question I have (mostly for Albert) is whether the board in this particular cart is the 0840 or standard F8? There should be no reason why F8 wouldn't work, but I can see why 0840 might not, knowing what we know now about those kludgy consoles.

Or, maybe you have the NWCGE version? I don't believe I've tested that one on a 7800 with the Dark Chambers kludge.

FYI, you can do a relatively easy mod (no soldering) to a kludgy 7800 to fix it, if that's the issue.

The question I have (mostly for Albert) is whether the board in this particular cart is the 0840 or standard F8? There should be no reason why F8 wouldn't work, but I can see why 0840 might not, knowing what we know now about those kludgy consoles.

Most of the Gingerbread Man carts were made with the 0840 boards. Joey--if you can slip up the dust cover mechanism in the cart and look at the edge of the board, does it have gold or silver contacts? If the contacts are gold, this is one of the 0840 boards. If so, I can exchange it for an F8 board and we can see if that works in your 7800.

..Al

OK, I've been playing since 7AM this morning, all the games I got are really good and Stella's Stocking is a blast.

That one works fine for me.

Nah, don't bother switching them. I was just curious if it was only my 7800 since it's the only Atari made console I have that has ever acted weird. All the others have always performed flawlessly but this one has weird power switch problems, sometimes the RF gets really bad momentarily, and some carts just take three tries to seat properly. I guess it's possessed. Thanks for the offer though and as usual, great job on this stuff, Al.

That sounds just like my 7800! This is my second, and while the picture quality is much better, I still occasionally have the image getting brighter or duller for a few seconds. My old one did it on whatever TV I tried it on. (The new one has only ever been connected to my 1984-vintage Toshiba.)

Mine came yesterday! :) Loved it! Thanks Al.

I'll have to make sure I order every year now. It was much better that I figured it would be. :)

Anyone want to sell me more of the magnets? LOL I thought those were pretty cool. I only got two of them though.

Edited by EricDeLee

I got my order yesterday!! #51 for Stella's stocking. Grabbed everything I didn't already have. :D

You snuck another game in there. :)

..Al

Yeah, the Defender Arcade came on the same day. It was a good day. It is an awesome port; WAY better than the original 2600 Defender version. I'm surprised Atari didn't release it like this.

The magnets are cool. I got 7 (of 7?) of them. Will there be 2600 JR versions next? A Gemini?

The games are really fun. The community continues to amaze and impress me. I'm looking forward to a strong 2008.

I still have dreams of eventually doing something myself, but I don't think anything like these titles. I might start out trying to port some Microvision titles. They might be fairly simple and a good place to start. Also, some would be fun little games that have no current equivalent on the 2600. Alien Raiders stands out as one of these for me right now.

Yeah, the Defender Arcade came on the same day. It was a good day. It is an awesome port; WAY better than the original 2600 Defender version. I'm surprised Atari didn't release it like this.

Defender was a 4K game released earlier in the life of the Atari. Defender Arcade is based on Stargate/Defender 2 which was released later and able to utilize additional ROM as well as all the programming tricks learned over the course of developing for the Atari.

You see the same thing in modern consoles, later games are far more polished than earlier games with the later games having faster frame rates, more on-screen objects, and more detail to those objects.

I would expect that with the right resistor and cap, 0840 banking should be 100% reliable on any game which only performs bank-switching instructions within the bottom 2K, and which performs a bank-switching instruction as the very first thing it does. On kludgy 7800's it may be dodgy (or fail altogether) if the resistor is too small, or if the code tries to perform bank-switching instructions within the top 2K.

I would guess that the resistor value is fine or else we would have heard about problems with Toyshop Trouble. That game happens to do all its bank-switch operations within the bottom few bytes of memory, so there's no problem with the upper-2K issue. I've not looked at the code of Gingerbread Man to know whether it puts its switch-points at the top or bottom, but if it's having trouble I would guess they're at the top.