IGNORED

Best pinball for 800?

littleman jack

I am trying to revive my 800 collection and have found that all the disks are no longer working, due to being in my mom's garage in Miami for many years. So my disk copy of Midnight Magic is dead, and I've noticed that the cartridge version is said to only work on XL/XE/64K.

Video 61 has several cartridge pinball games for sale. Does anyone have a suggestion for another good pinball title that will work on a 48K 800, disk or cartridge? Thanks.

I never liked some of the better known ones out there (particularly the Apple ][ ports--I think Night Mission was one of those) because they directly ported the Apple's really poor sounds effects (buzz, click, chirp) and had drab, featureless tables.

I always preferred Pinball Construction Set because you could create your own standalone executable tables, and if you have the patience and aptitude, you can make ones that are as appealing, playable and fun as any commercial PB game that was published. (if you take the time to draw some table artwork)

I found that making the tables was as much (if not more) fun than actually playing them. Back in college days, we would laugh ourselves breathless, making tables that could not be played in polite company. Good times.

Well,

most pinballs for the A8 were indeed done with the PCS - even some commercial ones (like DMM). Attached you will find some of the pinballs I have in my collection... For commercial pinballs like Pinball Construction Set (disk by Electronic Arts), Davids Midnight Magic (disk by Broderbund, cart. by Atari), Night mission (disk by sublogic), Advanced Pinball Sim. (tape by Codemasters) and a few others, simply visit www.atarimania.com and do an advanced search... -Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Besides,

most A8 pinballs reflect the arcade pinballs from the 70`s and early 80`s. Alas, most of the newer arcade pinball features (after 1985) are not implemented in any A8 pinball afaik... But there are some nice demos what could have been - or how a new/modern A8 pinball could have looked like... Two nice examples are a) the Flipper demo and b) Rocky`s pinball, which I have both attached here... -Andreas Koch.

I am not a fan of Pinballs but I think A8 deserves a beautiful colored Pinball.

You are right... the a8 should have a much better pinball. I wrote in another thread a few months ago about the 2600 version of Midnight Magic. The name is confusing (because of the A8 version of (David's) Midnight Magic) but in my opinion the 2600 version is SO MUCH MORE better.

It has a cool game idea, and it looks rather cool. It is one of my most favorte 2600 games, in fact it is the only reason why i hook up my 2600 sometimes, to play THAT game.

I would certainly pay for a 100% (or better) port to the a8 of the 2600 version of Midnight Magic.

Even the sounds are cool (for 2600).

Anyone sharing my enthusiasm for this game?

Marius

Well,

most pinballs for the A8 were indeed done with the PCS - even some commercial ones (like DMM). Attached you will find some of the pinballs I have in my collection... For commercial pinballs like Pinball Construction Set (disk by Electronic Arts), Davids Midnight Magic (disk by Broderbund, cart. by Atari), Night mission (disk by sublogic), Advanced Pinball Sim. (tape by Codemasters) and a few others, simply visit www.atarimania.com and do an advanced search... -Andreas Koch.

Interesting... one of my old games is in the ZIPs. Stardate 4000! I made it with PCS probably around 1985. There is an update somewhere called Stardate 4001 (IIRC). I probably have it here somewhere.

Well,

afaik Stardate 4001 is also in my collection (posted here). Think it is on the last disk... Maybe some creators of these pinballs could let us know, that they are the authors of pinball xyz (insert pinball name here)... Me, I have only created three pinballs, namely AMP, Action! and Lazy (and they are all extremely simple, because I was very lazy). But, whenever I got a pirated version of PCS I have taken a look at it and saved all pinballs I found on it - and saved them as standard 242 sectors ML files. In the end I packed all the pinballs with Code3 Cruncher...

Besides, I used the PCS colorizer to color some of the b & w pinballs. But some pinballs were already colored with the cracked PAL / Gr. 15 version of PCS... Does anyone have this cracked Gr.15/PAL version and could send me a copy ?!? greetings, Andreas Koch.

One of the first games I bought for my 8-bit was David's Midnight Magic, and I always liked that one. I've played it off and on for about 20 years now, with a modified TAC2 where the joystick broke off. I think my record score is somewhere around 800,000-900,000. I never liked the PCS boards, since all the ones I played were so "one-dimensional". Night Mission I just never got into, although it didn't look too bad.

Could you dump Stardate 4001 so it can be archived? Would also be great to have your first and last names so we can have proper credits for both games :)

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

I will try to find it ... back soon.

Update: It is on the 26th ATR of the above collection.

Edited by bf2k+