IGNORED

Has a video game ever made you cry?

Atari5200

Cry? No.

But I have gotten pretty invested in Link's Awakening. Still the greatest game in the Zelda series IMO. It's sad knowing that you'll bring the destruction of everone, especially after the cutscene with Marin at the seashore.

Come to think of it, I always tend to root for the non-princesses:

Pauline > Peach

Marin > Zelda

FF7 was one... Grandia 2 (Dreamcast) had its moments...

On a different note, 140 hours into Morrowind and just about to complete the entire collection of all armors, weapons, and unique items in the game (stashed in a house I stole... Beautifully Displayed on shelves, etc) and my drunk roommate stepping on my original X Box, cracking the case and damaging the HD... Lost all my glory.

• 2 weeks later...

Well...not cry but it did sorta hit me a little. Lunar Silver Star on Sega CD.

It's been ages since i played it but there was a death or two in the game and no I didn't cry but i was like emotionally like .....DAMN.... I think thats happened maybe once or twice ever in a video game for me.

As a man, it is very rare that I cry physical tears, but occasionally feel my tear ducts swell a bit as an emotional response to a movie or something. I don't play a lot of RPG outside the Mario franchises, but you do get emotionally drawn in at times, and I could see a cutscene becoming a tearjerker or at least tug at ones emotional heart strings, especially if he/she has invested 50+ hours into the game.

• Like 1

On one fine weekend morning in 1981/1982, my mom took me to the mall and promised me a toy and a visit to the arcade (called Time Out!, also inside the mall). All I had to do was be a good little boy while she got her hair done, and to get my haircut too.

Sounds easy enough, right? Well, we went to Toys R' Us first (I think I picked out a Blackstar toy), and we walked across the street to the Staten Island Mall. We went upstairs and she went to get her hair done. She was old fashioned with her hair, curlers and all, so it was a long process (had to be 2 or 3 hours). Well, as much as I liked my new toy, it didn't hold my attention nearly long enough. I had video games on my mind, and just could not wait to go downstairs! I was bratty and kept telling her to hurry up. Finally, she was done, but now it was my turn.

As she paid and tipped Geno and thanked him for his service, it was time to go to Pipo (hey, it's NYC!) to cut my hair. I kept saying "Can't we go next week?" and was whining non-stop. I finally sat in the chair, but refused to comply. I moved and moved and started screaming! I would not let Pipo touch my hair! Incredibly mortified and embarrassed, my mom took me away and apologized for my behavior.

To put it mildly, she was beyond furious. I got screamed at when we left the place, and she took me out of the mall and home, without even going to the arcades. I was screaming and crying hysterically. Looking back though, it's amazing I got to keep the toy. I guess my mom knew that because I was so obsessed with video games, this was punishment enough!

So, does this count? :)

• Like 2

To put it mildly, she was beyond furious. I got screamed at when we left the place, and she took me out of the mall and home, without even going to the arcades. I was screaming and crying hysterically. Looking back though, it's amazing I got to keep the toy. I guess my mom knew that because I was so obsessed with video games, this was punishment enough!

So, does this count? :)

I vote yes: that counts.

C'mon, tell the whole story. You were 22 years old when this happened, weren't you? ;)

• Like 1

I think I dropped some tears in Silent Hill. I dropped more than a few at multiple occasions in Silent Hill 2, and cried in Silent Hill 3 as well.

I don't know that a Silent Hill game has ever caused me to cry, but I've certainly felt the tragedy of what the characters have experienced.

I just finished playing through The Walking Dead season 1, and I did cry. I won't say why, because I don't want to spoil anything for those of you who have yet to play it.