IGNORED

is a sega cd and 32x worth $40

IceCold

I was at a thrift store(yes I know I have like 3 posts about thrift stores) and they had a package with a couple genesis controllers, 1 32x with hookups(looked like it had hookups), and 1 sega cd with hookups. I don't think there was a genesis. It costs $40(maybe $45, I'm not sure now) I know sega cd's cost a lot on ebay, but should I buy the package. Although I'm not sure if they work...

If I was there and had the money, I would have bought it. If i didn't have the money, I would have tried to hide it until I could get the money and go back (that won't be there for long!).

I could just be having a retarded moment right now, but didn't they also have the sega Cd that the Genesis sat on top of ????  I could have sworn that was the original layout.

ok, cancel that question, I just found the answer...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=1370245089

For first generation genesis... :D

hey Gunstar, should I buy it?????? Try to reply soon, so I can go back and get it  :ponder:

I thought my previous post would have been direct enough to tell you what I think, but since it wasn't, YES I think you should buy it. You can get a 32x for roughly $15-25 and generally the Segacd goes for more than that, at least $40 alone I believe, so I think it's a pretty good deal, that is as long as you have the Genesis base unit and as stated by others, make sure that either cd unit is compatible with either model Genesis; I don't know, but other than the CD1 being designed to fit the Genesis 1 and ditto for the 2's, I don't see why they wouldn't be interchangable...they just won't look as neat mixed.

Every FAQ I read said the Genesis 2 isn't compatible with Sega CD 1 without a special cord. Because the original genesis had like an expansion port on one of the sides that the Genesis 2 doesn't have. The FAQ said that the expansion port is what the Sega CD plugs into.

I'll probably go back and see if it's still there today... but what if it doesn't work?  Then I'm out like $40

Ask them if they have a return policy. I know Goodwill has a one week return policy on all electronics as long as you keep the receipt.

The Mega Drive (Genesis, whatever) 1 is a big fat, wide thing, with bonus headphone connection and volume slider. The MD 2 is a small unit, with smaller rear connections (this becomes important).

The original Mega CD 1 was a tray-loading device that sat under the MD 1, with a connector going down the right hand side from one device to the other. It was released before the MD 2 was created.

The Mega CD 2 was a flip-top unit that sat under and to the side of the MD. A complete boxed unit will contain an extra hollow plastic extension so that it looks good under a MD 1. If you want to connect a MD 2 you screw a metal plate onto the bottom of the MD 2 for spacing (and shielding), but you don't need that extra length underneath.

A MD 2 may or may not connect to a Mega CD 1 -- I think there's a spacing issue.

Meanwhile, the 32X will connect to a MD 1 or a MD 2, but the MD 1 needs an extra adapter cable for the video connection, since the MD 1 has a larger A/V connector than the MD 2. There is a plastic collar that fits on the underneath of the 32X if you want to use it with a MD2. This collar is not needed on a MD 1 because the case rises up a little higher at the cartridge slot. The metal shields included in the 32X package are not needed for normal operation, only to fit FCC rules.

HTH.

I also heard that a Power base converter(to play master system games on it) will not work with a megadrive/genesis 2? is this true?

As mentioned, physical fit problems. However, there is a "Master Mega Conveter", at least in the PAL world, that lets you play Master System carts (but not cards) on either Mega Drive.

Neither the official Sega convertor, nor the 3rd party one will work through a 32X. This is particularly annoying if you want the metal shields in place. As such, for a little while I had both a MD1 (w/ power base) and a MD2 (w/ MegaCD, 32X) running, until I realised that I don't actually have any Master System games worth playing.

I have found that if you play any of the NHL hockey series games in the 32X that they dont save any of your season stats or playoff series stats

I put my NHL 97 into my Genesis/CD/32X set up, wanting to continue my season series games, i played like 3 games then saved it, and the next time i put it in to play the whole cart was wiped clean, everything was gone even my character made guys

This had nothing to do with the battery because i put the NHL 97 in a plain genesis system and it saved my season and is still keeping my games and characters saved

Has this happened to anyone else??