IGNORED

Running a business with an Atari

pastor

Hi guys

I am involved in the running of a pre-school and currently all computing requirements (faxing, invoicing, e-mailing etc) are carried out on a powerful pc. My buisness partner (the wife) and I were discussing the merits of the Falcon and I was showing off some applications when she commented that "atari's are only for playing games and why did I need one as I have a PS3". I countered by saying that the Atari was a great computer and that we could use to run our business with. She replied "if the falcon is as good as you say it is then run run the bloody business with it" I have decided to do just that I always love a challange!

My main aim is to run my business completely on my Falcon (or preferably a TT) and then design a website with my experiences, applications that I used to help inform others that Ataris can be used in business. The format would be to document everthing that I needed to create for my business and show how I achieved the results and with what software. I will need to be able to design news letters, stationay, memos, accounts, database, faxing, e-mail and web design etc. My Falcon is not connected to the net yet. I am waiting for an ethernet solution to become available that I can buy. I have Magic 6.2 and MiNT installed on my Falcon.

Can you help with this project? I am looking for the following software either to buy (new or secondhand) or on loan (thay will be returned safe and sound!). I realise that I can probably get my hands on most of this stuff via downloads but I really need the manuals etc.

Jinee 2.5 or last english version of Ease (MagicDesk is too limited)

ImageCopy 4CD (screen shots and image conversion)

DA LayoutTC 6 (leaflets, stationary etc)

DA Picture (picture manipualtion)

DA Vector 2 (pictures and effects)

Coma Professional 5 (faxing and voice mail)

Apex Media (producing pictures for the kids)

Redacteur 3.15 (English) (old time's sake)

Migraph OCR Senior and Merge it (have a hand scanner with touch Up)

Texel

Database with good form creation (not Superbase 3)

Thats Address 2

Musicom 2

SCSI scanner software and flatbed scsi/parallel scanner

The main reason that I have chosen the above applications is that I have used them in the 90's and I am used to them. I am sure that I will find other applications that I will need to complete this project. The one application that I will need to keep using on the PC is our Daycare Management System.

So if you can help with any of the above or think that the idea is "thats crazy" as one of my PC owning friends shouted at me! Please let me know. Any thoughts or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I hope to start the project and web site in the middle of January.

Thanks for your input.

Paul

So if you can help with any of the above or think that the idea is "thats crazy" as one of my PC owning friends shouted at me! Please let me know.

While there's nothing wrong with the idea, personally I'd do something like run the whole thing on free software like Linux for the PC. Then you can open and save files in today's formats and expand and grow as your needs change. ST/Falcon software is pretty much frozen in time and won't get much better than it is today.

Edited by Bryan

Just wanted to say that's an awesome story :) haha.... "Then run the bloody business with it" as I'm sure it meant "god why the f() did you spend so much money on an ancient computer for mister it can do everything because it's so amazing" ;-)

Good luck with tracking down that software though...!!

A potential problem you should consider if you do this is the availability of parts in case something happens. Keep backup of some hardware parts although a falcon itself will get more expensive and harder to find as time goes on!

You may also want to have an emulator that runs all the atari software you plan to run on a PC so that if you do have a breakdown (after all you are using old equipment) you can still run or transfer stuff.

While there's nothing wrong with the idea, personally I'd do something like run the whole thing on free software like Linux for the PC. Then you can open and save files in today's formats and expand and grow as your needs change. ST/Falcon software is pretty much frozen in time and won't get much better than it is today.

Got to agree. Even given all my love for Atari, almost every modern task is really handled best by modern computers. Unless your a total luddite there's just tons of better/faster ways to get things done today.

You get an A for idealism though Paul. :D

:) Hi guys and thanks for your replies.

I agree entirely that the stuff that I am trying to achieve will be done easier and quicker on my Windows Vista PC I am not at all imploying that I can do it better on my Falcon or that the Atari's are better than the modern Mac's and PC's. The thing for me is that the Atari is much more fun to use and I can achieve most of the same results (particularly around word processing, DTP, spreadsheet and datbase) with my Falcon setup. I also need to justify have two Falcons and wanting a TT as well! I did all my university work on a 1mb STE with Thats Write and Touch Up and the quality was better at the time than the stuff that had been produced on a PC.

I want to type my letters on my Falcon and do some layout etc because I get a real kick out of producing quality letters etc that are as good as the stuff produced on my Vista PC with 2GB RAM etc.

This is just a quick reply and I will reply properly in the next few days.

Paul

:) Hi guys and thanks for your replies.

I agree entirely that the stuff that I am trying to achieve will be done easier and quicker on my Windows Vista PC I am not at all imploying that I can do it better on my Falcon or that the Atari's are better than the modern Mac's and PC's. The thing for me is that the Atari is much more fun to use and I can achieve most of the same results (particularly around word processing, DTP, spreadsheet and datbase) with my Falcon setup. I also need to justify have two Falcons and wanting a TT as well! I did all my university work on a 1mb STE with Thats Write and Touch Up and the quality was better at the time than the stuff that had been produced on a PC.

If all you want to do is use the Falcon for handling data, DTP and word processing then there's no problem. I used my original ST as much for word processing and DTP as I did for games, and if it wasn't for the lack of room (and suitable drivers for the current printers) I'd probably still be doing it. I was wondering if you were going to use it for accounts, which is where it would be less suitable. You could use a spreadsheet but accountants probably wouldn't be too happy with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Pastor, good luck on your quest. I cannot, sorry to say, help you with the software you seek. However I have had a similar idea just lately. I'm thinking of starting a small business just for personal growth and satisfaction at first. The money shall follow if I do it right.

So I was thinking about using my /|\ Atari Mega STe for all of the back end stuph like billing and letter writing. I still have Calligrapher and Phasar and other fully licensed software not to mention the hardware. Obviously, I'll need the modern computers for other things (like visiting Atari Age dot Com). I'd like to know, though, that the old 16 bit machines can still be useful to run a business.

Let us know the progress along the way.

<>< RedBeard

While there's nothing wrong with the idea, personally I'd do something like run the whole thing on free software like Linux for the PC. [...]

There's free software for most of what you need even for Windows, whilst we're at it; OpenOffice is free and Microsoft Office compatible (includes versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc., can import from and export to) and Gimp does a fair job of image manipulation. There's OpenWorkbench for project planning (ala Microsoft Project) and Gnu Octave for heavy number crunching and numerical work (Matlab clone). Have a browse around for "open source <whatever>". The main differences with Linux are that some projects are Linux-only (no Windows binaries) and that where there are both the Linux versions tend to be more up to date than the Windows port.

Just a quick update

I have managed to aquire some of the applications (bought 10 kilos worth from the States cost $120.00 just for the postage! They should be on their way) I have so far managed to get hold of the following:

Papyrus version 4

Calamus SL 93

NVDI 5

Thats Write 3

Touch Up 2.5 with Migraph Scanner?

Xboot 3 (need the manual can you please help with a scan?)

Jinnee 2.5 (need the manual can you please help with a scan?)

STFax 2.2

Load of Codehead software.

I also managed to get hold of a TT with a good spec which is on its way to me from Norway (cannot wait to get it and set it up).

I am still after the following:

DA LayoutTC 6 (leaflets, stationary etc)

DA Picture (picture manipualtion)

DA Vector 2 (pictures and effects)

Coma Professional 5 (voice mail)

Apex Media (producing pictures for the kids)

Redacteur 3.15 (English) (old time's sake)

Migraph OCR Senior and Merge it

Texel

Thats Address 2

Musicom 2

Word Perfect 6 Bitstream Speedo Fonts

SCSI scanner software and compatable flatbed scsi/parallel scanner

I am in the process of setting up an STE in the pre-school with some kids software on it (if you have any of the kids learning programmes going spare please let me know).

I ill be starting to do most of the admin work on the TT and creative stuff on the Falcon/TT. All documents and stock graphics have been converted to Atari compatable format ready to be used in earnest in the next two weeks.

If you can helpwith any of the above I would be most greatful.

Thanks

Paul

Pitney Bowes and Bell & Howell were still using Atari ST's up until just a few years ago, they had custom applications written and the ST's proved to be very reliable. B&C Computervisions used to have a service contract with them and used to supply any needed replacement parts.

I've also seen Automotive repair centers using ST's in custom metal enclosures. Mike Stulir helped me move several B&W coin-ops I had in storage up to Funspot in Weirs Beach, NH for their classic arcade museum and while we were picking up a U-Haul truck, we were waiting inside the auto repair place that was the u-haul rental as well and sure enough, there was an ST enclosed in a special metal case for doing automotive diagnostic work.

So running a business on an ST isn't just an experiment for a hobbyist, many big name companies used ST's for day to day business usage. Business was not all about x86 PC's ;-)

Curt

Pitney Bowes and Bell & Howell were still using Atari ST's up until just a few years ago, they had custom applications written and the ST's proved to be very reliable. B&C Computervisions used to have a service contract with them and used to supply any needed replacement parts.

I've also seen Automotive repair centers using ST's in custom metal enclosures. Mike Stulir helped me move several B&W coin-ops I had in storage up to Funspot in Weirs Beach, NH for their classic arcade museum and while we were picking up a U-Haul truck, we were waiting inside the auto repair place that was the u-haul rental as well and sure enough, there was an ST enclosed in a special metal case for doing automotive diagnostic work.

So running a business on an ST isn't just an experiment for a hobbyist, many big name companies used ST's for day to day business usage. Business was not all about x86 PC's ;-)

Curt

Most of the Hobbytown. USA stores where run on Falcons for a long time. Then they ran them on the GEMULATOR.

Hi Christos

Good to hear from you again, hope that you are well? I am using the programme successfully but would love to have a copy of the manual to make sure that I am using this great programme to its fullest.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

So if you can help with any of the above or think that the idea is "thats crazy" as one of my PC owning friends shouted at me! Please let me know.

Why not run Linux on your Falcon! ;)

http://www.debian.org/ports/m68k/

I ran debian with xwinows on my TT for a while... worked great...

• 4 weeks later...
I know people who still use exclusively Atari gear for EVERYTHING - one guy still only uses his 8-bit Ataris without a PC in sight. So running a business on a Falcon, while not the best idea in the world given that software will be out of date, etc, is not entirely unheard of.

Here in San Diego there is a well known business who runs EVERYTHING on C128s. A Falcon could certainly do the trick but a C128 is more practical only because of the availability.

Hi guys

A quick update, I have added a TT030 with graphics card and this has really helped my productivity. I am using both Pagestream 2.2 and Calamus SL2006 for layout, Papyrus 5 & Protext 6 for word processing, playing with Pheonix 5 for the database stuff (would prefer Twist 2 if any one has a copy or one for sale). Things are progressing much better since I got the TT, the wife thinks it looks like a real computer rather than the Falcon! The TT just seems faster for productivity stuff except for stuff that uses the DSP.

Hi Christos

Any luck with scanning the Xboot manual?

Thaks for all your comments I really appreciate it :) .

Paul