IGNORED

Build your own Atari 2600 boxes

Paul Sernine

This is a great idea. I wonder if this could be used by homebrewists when they release carts. Not so much to sell the games boxed but to instead supply a box template for the game online so that anyone who buys the homebrew cart (and hopefully, instructions) and has a working printer can print up his own box at home to store the homebrew game. Keeps the homebrew costs down, keeps the homebrewist's sanity and allows only those who want boxes to have boxes for their new homebrew carts. Sort of like how some Vectrex homebrew games have downloadable overlays for those who want to make their own.

Looks like you need to change the blue to cyan (a very common problem when going from a scan to an inkjet print, in my experience). It will look way too light on your monitor, but should come out much closer when printed.

I have since corrected the issue. That pic is quite old. It was actually my print settings combine with a cheap printer that caused that issue. I'm now using Epson Photo printers and changed my print settings and no longer have that issue. The images I use to make repro labels are not just plain scans. Scans are used to make the image but once the image is updated it is no longer just a scan. Have a look for yourself:

post-9874-128265071503_thumb.jpg

I think just scanning a label or in the case of this thread, the box and then reprinting it wouldn't look that great. Most of these boxes/labels have a lot of age on them and can easily be corrected before it is printed out. Plus it adds to that new look. ;) I agree with ledzep that having a home brew box download would be kind of cool but it is important that the home brewer make some slight changes to the download image so it can be identified (at least to the home brewer) as the download box and not an original release box.

• 5 months later...

I still love these boxes, but could it be done this same way with one piece boxes where the flaps are at top and at bottom..could someone show the layout for those?

Mark????

There is no reason why it couldn't be done that way. You would need a large format printer however to print out the one piece box. I use an Epson Stylus Photo 1400 and it could easily do the one piece box. I might have to try this sometime. :)

I was looking for a Atari 2600 template for some time now.

I create my own SNES, NES and N64 boxes for some time but never did a atari box.

To show my thanks to Paul Sernine template I created the Keystone Kapers box :)

keystonebackupload.jpg

keystonefronuploadl.jpg

I've used Paul Sernine template

thecoverproject keystone kapers box for the Universal Game Case

and the bar code from Paul Sernine Combat.

Got the game code from AtariAge.

megaupload link with pictures in quality 12.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SP2POIN9

PS: I do not use GIMP, I've used Photoshop. Used gimp only to convert files for photoshop file.

• Like 1

What if someone finds a picture of an expensive game's box like Air Raid, puts a rock or something in it, covers it in shrink wrap, sells it on eBay and then makes XX,XXX$ from it! :o

Has happened numerous times and still does from what I've heard over the years.Those who never open their mint sealed games will never know %100 if the sealed mega rare games they have are games, and not a block of wood or a dirt common Combat cartridge instead. :o

• 7 months later...

I would like the template for the frogger box it says it is here but it doesnt show up and i would like too make replacement llabels for my frogger, qbert and warlords games as well unless someone could do that for me just so i can be sure it is done right

• 1 year later...

BOX ART.pdf

Simple box template. Working on box art for a few projects, so I wanted to make something I could change for more than one game. Hope this helps.

Tried to upload it as a jpeg, but kept getting an error 500. PDF can be exported as a tiff or jpeg or edited in photoshop. If I have time, I can maybe mod it to a 2600 box and change the color for somebody.