IGNORED

Crash Dive found - does anyone else own a copy?

I have been working on cleaning my basement as I have way too much stuff. I went to re-use a box to do some shipping . I thought that all I had in the box was a bunch of newspapers from when the box was shipped to me. Inside of the box is a cartridge that says Crash Dive and has a date of September 83 on it. I have not tested it yet as I currently do not have a working 8 bit set up. Was this cart released?

Edited by holygrailvideogames.com

Was this cart released?

Not as far as I know. This is interesting. It was scheduled to be one of the Romox ECPC titles, but AFAIK none has been found before.

Could you post pictures, please?

I was able to find an Atari 800xl. Here is a picture. I haven't followed the 8 bit stuff in many many years. Please let me know if you have seen this game before.

post-44-1201811869_thumb.jpg

The cart itself is not an official release. The label is hand written. It says Crash Dive and 9/ 23 or 28 (I can't tell)/83.

That does sound proto-ish...I don't recognise the screenshot from the A8, although it looks similar to the 2600 release.

Is it a Romox ECPC cart?

A pic of the cart itself would be great.

I was able to find an Atari 800xl. Here is a picture. I haven't followed the 8 bit stuff in many many years. Please let me know if you have seen this game before.

Wow. Okay, so it's Crash Dive by Fox, not the 'Crash Dive!' I linked to. Fox protos usually have handwritten labels. Nice find.

The cart itself is not an official release. The label is hand written. It says Crash Dive and 9/ 23 or 28 (I can't tell)/83.

That does sound proto-ish...I don't recognise the screenshot from the A8, although it looks similar to the 2600 release.

Is it a Romox ECPC cart?

A pic of the cart itself would be great.

Here is a picture of the cart.

post-44-1201891613_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of the cart.

Well, that style matches the 2600 Fox protos I've seen, and it isn't a Romox ECPC cart.

Congrats, looks like a genuine proto.

:)

If you decide to sell, please ask the buyer to consider having the game code dumped!

How do you have the game code dumped? I don't want to ship this out but if I could do it myself I would consider it.

I haven't decided yet what I am going to do with the game. I might keep it since at least at this point it seems like it might be the only one around. It is nice to have something unique.

FWIW I would encourage you to keep it.

If you want to dump it, that's best done with a modified OS like Omnimon. If you don't have access to that, you could try a little program that Rybags posted here.

I'm sure that there are plenty of others who could help if you don't want to do it yourself. I'm probably too far away for comfort, I guess.

If you do dump and release it, then it might affect it's value.

But, if you decide to go ahead - that program should work.

You'd need an APE interface if you wanted to upload the file - or you could save it to cassette then use the procedure to create a .CAS image of it.

If you do dump and release it, then it might affect it's value.

But, if you decide to go ahead - that program should work.

You'd need an APE interface if you wanted to upload the file - or you could save it to cassette then use the procedure to create a .CAS image of it.

I can never understand this, how can a dump affect the value of his original Crash Dive prototype? In the past I purchased many 'copies' of prototypes from Best Electronics, knowing that they are of no value, as they are not original prototypes. If it's dumped a 1000 times, he still has the only original prototype cartridge. It's like a stamp, a copy of a rare stamp is of no value.

I can never understand this, how can a dump affect the value of his original Crash Dive prototype? In the past I purchased many 'copies' of prototypes from Best Electronics, knowing that they are of no value, as they are not original prototypes. If it's dumped a 1000 times, he still has the only original prototype cartridge. It's like a stamp, a copy of a rare stamp is of no value.

Exactly. The guys that are going to buy a copy or download a ROM, aren't your customers when you are selling a prototype.

Shawn

Hello Lynxguy,

the Crash Dive you are talking about is a text adventure from Antic magazine or Analog Computing, released there as a type-in listing... But the Crash Dive cart is a completely different game... -Andreas Koch.

Thanks for the info and I was thinking it might have been on an Antic disk but I wan't sure till you mentioned it

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...