IGNORED

Crash Dive found - does anyone else own a copy?

I can never understand this, how can a dump affect the value of his original Crash Dive prototype? In the past I purchased many 'copies' of prototypes from Best Electronics, knowing that they are of no value, as they are not original prototypes. If it's dumped a 1000 times, he still has the only original prototype cartridge. It's like a stamp, a copy of a rare stamp is of no value.

The value of the cart is reduced. If you buy a new car and it is a one-of-a-kind, its value AS one-of-a-kind is higher than

if the next day someone produces multiple copies that look just like it, even if they aren't the original. It looses some of its uniqueness.

There is something attractive about having something unique.

Dumping also increases the chance that someone could make a fake.

If I was selling a one-of-a-kind cart I wouldn't dump it, because I KNOW I would get less money for it.

Can you honestly say you would dump a cart if you knew you could get $400 for without dumping it and only $200 for if you dumped it?

Edited by Defender II

Hello Lynxguy,

the Crash Dive you are talking about is a text adventure from Antic magazine or Analog Computing, released there as a type-in listing... But the Crash Dive cart is a completely different game... -Andreas Koch.

Crash Dive was the last project Brian Moriarty did at ANALOG before he went to Infocom.

Unless somebody from AtariAge gets the game, consider the ROM lost. It would've been dead simple to have the program dumped by someone and release it AFTER the auction.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

I couldn't agree more.... :(

I disagree. Just because someone isn't from Atariage, doesn't make them stupid. I am sure the buyer would backup the cart to secure their investment so it won't be lost. You can ask holygrailvideogames to send a message to the buyer with your request. If we are lucky the buyer will share it with us or at least make it available from V61 or something. Why should holygrailvideogames lower its value by dumping it? Would you want holygrailvideogames to lose money on it just for you? It's existance just proves that supposedly 'lost' ROMs are being found each year.

Releasing it "AFTER the auction" would be ripping off the buyer, since holygrailvideogames said in the auction he didn't make a backup. I trust holygrailvideogames and believe he wouldn't go back on his word. That is fraud and I didn't think we condoned that here. If he had said he backed it up in the auction, that would be different and it would have not sold for that much. The last offer on here was for $400, so it probably would have sold for that.

Have faith in your fellow Atari collectors.

You can start flinging your spears and shooting your arrows now. :)

Edited by Defender II

Can you honestly say you would dump a cart if you knew you could get $400 for without dumping it and only $200 for if you dumped it?

Yes because the prototype will remain the prototype and the dump is only THE DUMP of it.

Clear now? ;)

Yes.

And I don't buy into the whole 'you've devalued my rare proto' thing.

Great! Let's check your premis... What protos would you like to part with at half what you'd get without dumping them?

Have faith in your fellow Atari collectors.

You can start flinging your spears and shooting your arrows now. :)

The Atarimania team has tried to persuade that particular collector to share some rare items before :(

Really? What did you want and what did you offer?

Hey, holygrailvideogames can you just ask? And settle this?

Edited by Defender II

Really? What did you want and what did you offer?

We wanted to be able to release dumps of some rare protos that he bought, and we offered to pay shipping both ways and handle the dumping ourselves, while giving him (or is it "them"?) full credit.

Anyway, he (or they) has (or have) some very nice and unusual stuff. It would be great if those rare items were preserved, but, ultimately, it's up to the owner to decide what to do with their property, so it's probably best just to forget about it and move on.

Edited by deathtrappomegranate

All I wanna know is how does someone 'come across' this in their basement accidentally in what they thought was an empty box?!?!?! HOW?!?!?!

Why can't I find this %&$* in MY basement?!?! (Besides the fact that I don't have a basement...) :-D

--Timster--

All I wanna know is how does someone 'come across' this in their basement accidentally in what they thought was an empty box?!?!?! HOW?!?!?!

Why can't I find this %&$* in MY basement?!?! (Besides the fact that I don't have a basement...) :-D

--Timster--

Ditto!

THAT is the most appropriate post in this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolling:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...