IGNORED

Bomb Jack

Excellent work!

I like games with colors and beautiful music.

Where?

Did I miss something?

I don't see the colors either, looks all too dark and brownish to me. Couldn't at least the bombs be red?

It's just the low video quality of the preview avi that kaz posted, it's not that dark on the real thing or emulation

I don't see the colors either, looks all too dark and brownish to me. Couldn't at least the bombs be red?

The colours always will be a small problem, since the ATARIs were optimized for NTSC.

The good thing on PAL computers was that the palette was really fixed. And on the PAL computers it show dead people when showing them on PAL

roxana_atari_stevedong.png

Actually, that skin colour is good for vampires ;-)

Depending on the used TV sets , most graphics on the A8 are too dark, which comes from the fact that people mostly used their TV Set too bright, which left the black background in a grey tone.

When people did a game then all colours are set at a lower brightness level, which is in the mind of ATARI programmers until today.

Also, depending on the used TV set, ther colours may be a little different. So someone may say colour "32-47" is brownish. But it is a "pink flavoured" red tone, resulting in this:

barbarian_c64_emkay.png

The colour above "48-63" is some kind of wine-red/magenta .

But, the ATARI doesn't have this "RGB" Red. Because it is the mix of red and yellow, that results in a fire red.

With S-Video, the colours get more precisely. But, I guess, the colours that you see in the emulators are mostly compareable to the worst case.

As you may see at ATARIMANIA. The games are "shot" in the way they see them on the "real thing" . But palettes are used that miss the correct brightness steps and they have colour cross overs that the ATARI never does, because it directly controls brightness and colours.

What brilliant graphics the ATARI can have, Beetle's "laptop" shows (S-Video mod with TFT panel).

All colours have the same brightness. And all brightnesses have the same hue difference.

When people did a game then all colours are set at a lower brightness level, which is in the mind of ATARI programmers until today.

Hm... so could it have proper colors like this:

miggy.gif

Or is this as good as it gets:

a8.gif

Or are you basically saying that when the TV is maxxed out on brightness it will just look like above?

Do you mean this?
Yea, you can see the earlier construction there. The sprites, ledges and bombs are added by Vega in the game now. They are based on the c64 version although he has changed them for use in the game.

As promised earlier, here's one of the early sprite tests I did during last year. There is a later one also with the robot sprite. It was planned with the multiplex engine. The final game now with the C64 based sprites are using software sprites with player overlays. It's likely that multiplexing will be used still to gain the overlays onto the numerous enemies sprites

sprite_tests.zip

Edited by Tezz

Platforms like that just make it look cheap, like some 2600 conversion.

More colour doesn't always make for a better looking game.

It was created this way during the arcade acurate planned conversion. I didn't design it with cheap rasters in mind. This is exactly how it is displayed on the original so it was recreated like that.

Well, from the picture I would have to say that I prefer the platforms and bombs of the old version

It probably was just a mockup, else the "bounding box bombs" would've been a giant step back.

It's a clear thing. The bombs are used as "byte information" , to "blit" them fast in and out of the screen.

I have no problem with this, because the "sprites" move properly.

The only "logical" bug is the black tone, where the light is reflected on the bombs.

I guess, due to the limits of the A8: If we get white for better looking bombs, the backgound gets sacrificed.

The picture shows some example of redrawn bombs.... adjusted to the given limits..

And it explains, when people use a too bright set TV or Monitor .... The colours of your posted pic ... a bit brighter and the contrast is reduced .

Edited by emkay

Well, from the picture I would have to say that I prefer the platforms and bombs of the old version

It probably was just a mockup, else the "bounding box bombs" would've been a giant step back.

It's a clear thing. The bombs are used as "byte information" , to "blit" them fast in and out of the screen.

So I assume it would be just a matter of dedicating individual blit data to the 8 overlapping bombs to get rid of the bounding boxes?

EDIT: Nah... actually you just build the complete picture, draw some red bombs into it and when a bomb gets collected you restore back to the original picture. No extra data required, or?

ehm...what do you guys mean with bounding boxes? the bombs are simple 2x2 chars so that's why they look like and why they made "bigger" to minimize the "empty space"....

As attached.

Charset you say... so can't the A8 change the shape of 4 chars within a single frame, is that the reason for the boxes?

bj.gif