IGNORED

Bomb Jack

what type of controller are you using to play?

A digital USB-game pad (Thrustmaster FireStorm Digital 3), which I also

use for MAME where I nearly can move Jack horizontally... ;)

Using the keyboard instead for the emulation makes no difference.

Sorry - no test on the real thing now. I get my mem-upgrade next week...

CU

Irgendwer

Not sure if my previous comments got overlooked or not (since I edited it a few times) but as I mentioned. I feel alot of the control problems are due to the size of the enemies/player and especially the speed of the player. If the speed of the player was slowed down he would be alot more controllable.

He seems to be set about the same speed of the arcade which does not work because the screen is "squished" compared to the arcade so there is less room for reaction time.

as I am with Rybags... for me it is hard to get the last bombs in level 1 at the top left corner... and i have difficulties with the controls but I am on emulator plus keyboard...so could be definitly that...

Guys, don't play games like BJ yourself... let play your kids! :) There is no problems with emulator keyboard, wrong joysticks, uncomfortable gamepads, etc. If you can't do something that's definitly your fault! You are too old :).

There is a movie how to pass first level using one life only, without power-up bonus or gliding. Advanced player can do the same quicker. I don't see any difficult moments there.

Edited by Kaz atari.online.pl

OK, I just had something strange happen. Beginning of Round 7, went to the bottom of the screen and re-appeared at the top. I don't think this is supposed to happen (new to Bomb Jack).

Here is the save state file, just in case it can be of any help:

Bomb_Jack_7.zip

Just had pretty much the same thing happen. Beginning of Round 6, dropped to and touched the lowest platform, then re-appeared from the top of the screen.

Forgot to mention the first time... Using Atari800Win PLus 4.0, XL/XE (Rev. 2), 1088k, and "Do not allow activatiing attract mode" is not checked.

OK, I just had something strange happen. Beginning of Round 7, went to the bottom of the screen and re-appeared at the top. I don't think this is supposed to happen (new to Bomb Jack).Bomb_Jack_7.zip

Thanks Mr.Fish, I'll send the emualtor state to Vega. This is known bug reported by few people, me either.

Watch
and you will get a better idea of how the REAL game plays and it's relative speed in comparison to this conversion. As well as the monster behavior.

Thanks Shannon. To compare games you need to watch Atari version too, so I passed over 11 levels and prepared a

. But don't expect that Atari or even Amiga version will be the same as arcade. Vega's and Tezz's game is based on C64 logic and to find bugs it could be good to compare with this
. Edited by Kaz atari.online.pl

ok that's fine. That why I asked whether it was intended to be a conversion from another machine, or an attempt to reproduce arcade play.

In that case my advise would not be very useful since I'm not familar with how the C64 version plays. I find what makes the arcade version so enjoyable is the strategy required to complete the board (observation of the enemy patterns, etc), trying to get the fire bombs in the correct order, etc. The C64 version seems to be more reflex oriented.

I don't know how much of the game needs to reside in memory, but if you loaded each level from disk instead of keeping all the levels in memory, could you make the game run on a 48k, 64k or 128k machine? This would allow a lot more people to run the game from their real hardware instead of an emulator. Maybe you already have plans to do this, and the 320k requirement is just for the demo.

Bob

I don't know how much of the game needs to reside in memory, but if you loaded each level from disk instead of keeping all the levels in memory, could you make the game run on a 48k, 64k or 128k machine? This would allow a lot more people to run the game from their real hardware instead of an emulator. Maybe you already have plans to do this, and the 320k requirement is just for the demo.

Bob

There is still further work and development to be done on the project from this beta release demo, which is here for bug reports and reactions.

The game will always require extended memory because large amounts of data are required for the fast software sprite routine.

There could be a megacart created (after modifications) for non-extended Atari's.

@Shannon, sorry I missed some of your earlier posts.

To explain breifly about the history of the project: Two years ago I was working on recreating the arcade version of Bombjack and Kaz got in touch to let me know that Vega was porting the C64 version and to cut a long story short we made contact and we began a team venture so the resulting game is a mix of the arcade and C64.

It's far from being a straight port logic wise, Vega has done masses of hard work on the code fixing nuances and developing it beyond it's original origin.

I just noticed, when you have got collected some bonuses so you have 2x, 3x.. bonus to score or whatever, the bar around this indicator is bigger the bigger the bonus is, but when you die, the bonus drops to 1x but the bar stays whatever it was, see pic below. Maybe it is intended, who knows ;)

post-3960-1215360008_thumb.png

I just noticed, when you have got collected some bonuses so you have 2x, 3x.. bonus to score or whatever, the bar around this indicator is bigger the bigger the bonus is, but when you die, the bonus drops to 1x but the bar stays whatever it was, see pic below. Maybe it is intended, who knows ;)
ah thanks, no I hadn't noticed this error! I'll add it to the list :)

EDIT** sorry I didn'd read this correctly the first time :woozy: the growing fx on the score board relates to the bombs being collected rather than the bonus's being collected. it's intentional for it to retain until the level is complete.

Edited by Tezz

Hello all!

I gave the game a good shot today on the real machine (800XL, 512KB, SIO2SD), and it looks and plays pretty well. As for bugs, nothing to add to what was already mentioned, but it's nice to see you've implemented the little cheat in level 2. ;)

Anyway, I'd just like to thank and congratulate you guys on your effort. It's definitely appreciated.

Keep up the good work,

Frank

Hello all!

I gave the game a good shot today on the real machine (800XL, 512KB, SIO2SD), and it looks and plays pretty well. As for bugs, nothing to add to what was already mentioned, but it's nice to see you've implemented the little cheat in level 2. ;)

Anyway, I'd just like to thank and congratulate you guys on your effort. It's definitely appreciated.

Keep up the good work,

Frank

Great!! thanks very much for checking it out at length on your expanded XL. I'm still waiting for my 512k expansion for my XE, I abandoned installing the upgrade via the Peterson method (even though I bought the parts) as it's not the best solution. the non vol expansion by bigben and mega-hz is the way to go for me I'm hoping the pcb's are produced again soon.

I'm glad to hear that the testing went smoothly :cool: thanks again.

ah thanks, no I hadn't noticed this error! I'll add it to the list :)

EDIT** sorry I didn'd read this correctly the first time :woozy: the growing fx on the score board relates to the bombs being collected rather than the bonus's being collected. it's intentional for it to retain until the level is complete.

Ah, it's the bombs.. hehe.. thought it's related to thet bonus multiplier inside, you got me :P

Ok, here is another. I noticed thet sprite collision maybe is not that accurate. I think I die sometimes even that I don't touch any enemy, they are close but no touch. And it relates with enemies overlap platform edges sometimec, they just fly over edge etc. Specially the grey ones when they drop from platform they are half over it. And Just noticed some gfx glitches. (pink and blue from the UFO and pink flyers)... everything in emu A800Win+ 4.1

Edited by MaPa

BJ software sprites engine mem usage:

108 different shapes, 1 shape = 128 bytes, in memory XE/XL 1x shape = 8x128 bytes (4x bitmap, 4x bitmap mask) = 1024 bytes

108*1024 = 110592 bytes

engine required 2 banks (32768 bytes)

Vega's and Tezz's game is based on C64 logic and to find bugs it could be good to compare with this ...

Yes, but particular this means that there is room for improvement: the C64 version is not as good as the other versions (Amstrad/Schneider, Spectrum). Even the ST version is good to play.

For german readers (maybe someone is willing to translate this) a review of the game:

http://www.kultboy.com/index.php?site=t&id=1828

Beside this, I like to see the kid which can slide Jack nearly horizontally in the port like I can in the other versions... :D

Don't get me wrong, BJ is allready a very good port - there is just room for perfecting

especially on the playability side...

CU

Irgendwer

• 1 month later...

First and foremost, huge kudos to Tebe, Vega, Tezz and Miker (dude... you rock !) for what will probably be one of the greatest modern (post-2000) games on the platform ! :D

However, there's really one feature I'd like to see on this version, it's a level start feature so that the player can start the game at the beginning of each round cycle (or every 5 screens). In other words, being able to start at Round 1, Round 6, Round 11, etc...

Maybe it's there and I haven't seen it (I'm getting senile !) but if it's not there, it would be a great addition to the game. :cool:

Thanks again for all the hard work, this is really a terrific achievement and a great inspiration to get more done on the platform.

Cheers,

PA.

Edited by pierreandre

OK, one last suggestion for graphical enhancements. This is in regard to the bombs. I've heard it suggested that black bombs would be better, and the developement team is using red bombs currently. I say, why not do both? :D This makes the bombs a little easier to recognise from the backgrounds.

post-6369-1218997098_thumb.png

Edited by MrFish

• 1 month later...

OK - after some silence...

The last bugs (e.g. position-Y issue, causing sometimes sudden "teleportation") are being thrashed out.

Also, the collision detection has to be improved, and then the REAL final version will come. :)

@MrFish:

I think the red bombs will stay, though.