IGNORED

Bomb Jack

Charset you say... so can't the A8 change the shape 4 chars within a single frame, is that the reason for the boxes?
I guess it's a saving memory purpose.

Because there's just a limited number of chars available at a time, like 256 on the C64? Or just generally, because this is going to be a single load?

limited chars...

Hm... *scratcheshead*

IIRC on the C64 you could possibly just set the pointers to another charset midscreen for example to overcome this limitation.

Those "tricks" are already done in the game.

Uhm... but then apparently they didn't help much avoiding the boxed bomb look...

What is the real limiting factor then?

it's a trade off for chars using the background gfx, chars needed for the software sprites etc... several charsets are spread over the screen. if you read the english explanation regarding "inside bomb jack"... it's a fair compromise of the existing hardware limits... the guys working on the game really know the Atari machine so I know they squeeze out any trick they can find and use... ;)

and C64 has 256 chars per charset while Atari has 128...

Edited by Heaven/TQA

It seems to be a lot of controvosy over the non-masked bombs! Similar posts were on Kaz's page too. We're all aware of these things. Remember it is not complete yet, you're looking at WIP :). The charsets are maxed in some areas, it's been carefully planned, the backgrounds use 4 fonts with max 83 chars in each, the bombs and ledges are fixed chars added to each font and the rest is used by the soft sprites. it's likely some rejigging will need to be done to make some free chars but prob only on background 3. Anyway these things are really just smaller details to deal with later on. I mentioned earlier in the thread that the c64 heritage will be improved along the way and not just ported as is. Don't worry :)

Edited by Tezz

it's a trade off for chars using the background gfx, chars needed for the software sprites etc... several charsets are spread over the screen. if you read the english explanation regarding "inside bomb jack"... it's a fair compromise of the existing hardware limits... the guys working on the game really know the Atari machine so I know they squeeze out any trick they can find and use... ;)

and C64 has 256 chars per charset while Atari has 128...

Where can I find the explanation "inside bomb jack" ?

happymonster: it was probably told before, but i repeat it now: treat existing video as early WIP, the colors/chars/whatewer will be adjusted when the time comes, and maybe not at this moment.

Or do you want the game bugged and totally unplayable, but with that COMPLETE graphics?

(Forgive us but important things come first!) ;-)

Edited by miker

happymonster: it was probably told before, but i repeat it now: treat existing video as early WIP, the colors/chars/whatewer will be adjusted when the time comes, and maybe not at this moment.

Well, if you don't want WIP comments, don't post WIP material.

Or do you want the game bugged and totally unplayable, but with that COMPLETE graphics?

At least then it's worth debugging it :P

Also, I wonder if that blue sky would look nice and more atari like with a DLI gradient. ;)
There were scanline dli's made earlier but remember in the info I wrote earlier it simplified many procedures to have the dlis with only row changes and to assist with speed.