IGNORED

Heavy Sixer GREY power supply wanted!

ovalbugmann

Hello Atariagers!,

I recently bought a Sunnyvale Heavy Sixer, it's the first 2600 unit I've had since the early 1980s and I was wondering if anyone has one of those original "grey" power supplies for it. :D I see the replacement 2600 ones everywhere, but I wanted the original grey unit. Please let me know if you have an extra one for sale, if not, maybe you might know a good place to look. I haven't seen any on ebay recently. Thanks in advance for any info you may have on this.

Much Thanks,

Noel Roberts (ovalbugmann on atariage.com)

email: noel7vinnie-scwaz@peoplepc.com

(This early (no A/B switch) Heavy Sixer unit I have is pretty :P, I smile whenever I look at it.)

P.S. - Thanks for taking the time to look at my want ad Atarifans.

Hello Atariagers!,

I recently bought a Sunnyvale Heavy Sixer, it's the first 2600 unit I've had since the early 1980s and I was wondering if anyone has one of those original "grey" power supplies for it. :D I see the replacement 2600 ones everywhere, but I wanted the original grey unit. Please let me know if you have an extra one for sale, if not, maybe you might know a good place to look. I haven't seen any on ebay recently.

i don't know if other people have this problem, but most of the grey power supplies i have seen are DEAD! (about a 80% dead rate) if you are getting one to use, if i was you, i would get a black one!

Rick

:roll: OK, I see where this is going from the last two responses. :( Apparently there is not enough GREY power supplies to go around, or are they THAT coveted??

The Grey ones were the very first AC adaptor to be shipped with Atari2600s, is this not correct? If I could find one of these two styles of black AC adaptors that shipped with the Heavies I would buy it, if possible, but I don't know the model #s of these. Or even what they look like.

Can someone tell me of possibly direct me to this info?

The Part # I'm looking for is: C 010472 with a model # of: DC-950 (Made in Japan) see pics:

Yes!----> post-9089-1203989702_thumb.jpg post-9089-1203989750_thumb.jpg

I have one from 9 81 (September 1981?) With a Part # of CO10472 and a model # of SA9500 and there are plenty of these around.

No ---> post-9089-1203989585_thumb.jpg

Anyone have any pics of the other two aforementioned Heavy Sixer power supplies?

Edited by ovalbugmann

:roll: OK, I see where this is going from the last two responses. :( Apparently there is not enough GREY power supplies to go around, or are they THAT coveted??

The Grey ones were the very first AC adaptor to be shipped with Atari2600s, is this not correct? If I could find one of these two styles of black AC adaptors that shipped with the Heavies I would buy it, if possible, but I don't know the model #s of these. Or even what they look like.

Can someone tell me of possibly direct me to this info?

The Part # I'm looking for is: C 010472 with a model # of: DC-950 (Made in Japan) see pics:

Yes!----> post-9089-1203989702_thumb.jpg post-9089-1203989750_thumb.jpg

I have one from 9 81 (September 1981?) With a Part # of CO10472 and a model # of SA9500 and there are plenty of these around.

No ---> post-9089-1203989585_thumb.jpg

Anyone have any pics of the other two aforementioned Heavy Sixer power supplies?

Easy there tiger.....

No, they're only really coveted by completist types. Rick Weis is correct, they do have a high dead rate. And if its not dead, it's certainly going to fill your schnoz with some sweet ozone when you plug it in! They get quite hot, and frankly, are probably a bit of a fire hazard. They do pop up on eBay from time to time, especially if you just buy yourself an old pong unit, or something, you'll probably get one no problem.

That gray one you have in your picture isn't the one you want anyway. Those were shipped with the light sixers, and more often than not, with the Sears Tele-Games systems.

You want one of these...one is marked Sunnyvale on the back, the other is marked Los Gatos

These are the gray power supplies that came with the heavy sixers. The black version that was mentioned by A.J. is another variant, but I do not have one in my collection to show you.

post-2095-1203994557_thumb.jpg

post-2095-1203994566_thumb.jpg

Edited by the 5th ghost

i don't know if other people have this problem, but most of the grey power supplies i have seen are DEAD! (about a 80% dead rate) if you are getting one to use, if i was you, i would get a black one!

Rick

I guess I have been pretty fortunate with these. Of all that I've had in my possesion, I've only had one dead, but that was out of probably 10 that I've had.

But, 1 out of 10 still isn't great, considering that the later versions rarely fail.

Edited by the 5th ghost

RHM: I must have been misinterpreting the responses I was receiving, (I do that sometimes :( ) I was thinking people were trying to steer me away from searching out a true H6er power supply, so 2600 newbies didn't get these rare power units so there's more around for serious 2600 collectors to find......now I see that was just stinkin' thinkin' - my bad. :| :) You guys all Rock! post-9089-1204001016.gif

Thank You! :cool: for the pictures; the 5th ghost, now I know what real Heavy Sixer power supplies look like, and that those ones I posted are not original units, but for light or Sears units. Good information to know! :) ;)

Hey A.J., I very much appreciate you finding that thread with the pictures of the black power supplies, you mentioned previously, for the heavies - also very good information. Atari age is a pretty big forum, I probably never would have found that 2005 thread; gracias. :) :cool:

Edited by ovalbugmann

You're welcome! I wish I could find a pic of the other black style. I think it's similar to one of the 2 gray styles, but just in black with a white logo on the front.

I learned a little something new in this topic -- I previously thought there was only one grey style. Now that I see there are two, this makes four different ones (that I know of) that came with U.S. Heavy Sixers.

Yeah, I never knew there was a light brown one or that style of grey one, or the manufacturing cities, thanks again to the 5th ghost for pics. :cool: :) I have been a Jaguar fan since 1994 and that has been my only other Atari since my light sixer in the early '80s. I'm just now getting back into the 2600 again and I specifically waited to buy a Heavy Sixer (pics in the Heavy Sixer serial # thread) for daily use. I just wanted to own and use the oldest possible Atari 2600 I could. I think I just like thinking about how old the electronics are inside and that it still works! If we were talking cars, my Atari is around 31 years old, and at 25 years old you can get historic plates - so that makes the original VCS's antiques! I also think the H6ers look the best of all the 2600 models - that old style case is beautiful. I like just looking at it. :) So, of course I wanted to get the original power supply that originally came with it. I do like the looks of those Sears/light 6er AC adaptors too though-not bad.

I contacted atariguide.com & atari2600.com and asked about obtaining a grey one, and the guy from atari2600.com has written me back and says he does have one I can buy (it's not listed of course :) ), so when I get it, I'll take some pics and show you guys what I got from them.

Atari forever. post-9089-1204008982.gif

There are 3 photos of one of the black styles here: Nice...no box though..., post #33.

It's interesting to see that the black one was made in Mexico.

@ovalbugmann...always glad to help! Now you have to track down the old style joysticks and paddles with the soft/thin cords! (unless you already have them ;) )

:D

There are 3 photos of one of the black styles here: Nice...no box though..., post #33.

It's interesting to see that the black one was made in Mexico.

@ovalbugmann...always glad to help! Now you have to track down the old style joysticks and paddles with the soft/thin cords! (unless you already have them ;) )

:D

I don't recall what I received that power supply with or know for sure it was from a heavy, I thought it may of been from an early pong unit possibly? I believe someone else also stated they had the same power supply with a heavy sixer.

AJ for that other black power supply, could you be thinking about the Sears Video Arcade II? I realize these have a barrel plug on the end, but they were offered in a shape and size similar to the gray heavys pictured above.

• 13 years later...