IGNORED

What kind of online games do you play?

Rhindle The Red

What kind of online games do you play?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of online games do you play? (Check all that apply.)

• Games that must be purchased and require a regular fee. (WOW, UO, etc.)
    • Games that must be purchased, but require no regular fee. (Guild Wars, etc.)
    • Games that are free to download, but require a fee to open all features (Pirates of the Caribbean Online, etc.)
    • Totally free games (HSX, etc.)
    • Console games through a subscriber service (XBOX Live)
    • Console games with no subscription (Wii, PS3)
    • Some other form of online game.
    • I do not play online games.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

So I've been playing this Pirates of the Caribbean game, since it's free to play (but you can't do everything). Pretty impressive for a game tied to a media property and obviously aimed at less experienced players. Certainly worth a free whirl, but I can't see paying for it.

But it got me thinking about online gaming and the different kinds that I engage in. In addition to POTC, I am a longtime player of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX - portfolio at H$367,633,238.44 and climbing), I used to play those free game show games like Wheel of Fortune and, of course, I play online on my DS and my Wii (though not much).

For a couple of years (long ago), I played Ultima Online, but I just couldn't see paying what was then $120 a year for it.

So, how's about you?

XBox Live is where I spend most of my online time.I've played online games for the PC and a couple with the PS2 and DC back in the day,but something about Microsoft and the 360 that got it right.Its simple and easy to navigate and so many games.Online co op is where it's at as well!Funny how I NEVER tried to go online when Live was on the original XBox,but something drew me to the 360 :)

after wasting 2 years playing everquest, i dont play online games anymore

on occassion i will play free mini games like the putt putt golf ones

i just play warcraft 2 on my saturn mainly (im almost done beating all the customs levels i have about 10 more to perfect out of 96)

I don't play online games. I prefer to be in the same room with the other player. That way if they cheat I can throttle them! :D Just kidding. Naw, I just don't like to be dependent on servers that may or may not exist in five years. Plus, game consoles have two to four controller ports for a reason :)

I used to play first person shooters and space flying games online, but nowadays I just don't have the time to do so. Occasionally I'll break out one of my old but good games that other people still play online, like Quake III, Clusterball, to name a couple off the top of my head, but not often enough to count.

I might play more stuff online once I get a DS or Wii, neither of which I own yet but both of which are scheduled to be my next two console/portable purchases.

I rarely play online, though I got really hooked on Phantasy Star Online and Quake 3 for DC. I did play MoH: Heroes 2 pretty heavily for a couple weeks until the game became impossible (some people get way too good way too fast, or figured out an exploit). I played Mario Kart DS online for a while, until snaking ruined it for me. I have an XBL gold membership, but I can count on one hand how many online games I've played. I do really like online leaderboards, though, and XBLA does that really, really well.

WoW, WoW and more WoW.

Unfortunately, I'm getting bored of the game.

WoW allows people to do things they normally won't do in real life...and with that comes the ego. And once you've hit the level cap, all you get is the ego because everything at that point in the game is team-driven. Not much you can do solo anymore.

Legend of the Red Dragon on the BBS's. Ohhh yeh...

Ah, yes, Legend of the Red Dragon... also: Usurper, Arrowbridge, Yankee Trader, Tradewars, Barren Realms Elite and too many other great games to mention.

Obviously another vote here for BBS gaming. The only online gaming I find worthwhile.

Garak

Edited by Garak

Hi Guys:

Online gaming has to be the best idea yet for Video Games. I'm currently playing World of Warcraft, Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, Condemn 2, Army of Two & Super Smash Bros Brawl. I was getting tired of playing with my pals for years doing the same concept over & over again with them. No challenge.

Anthony....

Edited by fdurso224

I checked "games that are free, but require a fee to unlock all the features". Out of all the online games I've played, most have had expansion packs of some sort you had to pay for in addition to the game. none have required a fee to play online, however.

Legend of the Red Dragon on the BBS's. Ohhh yeh...

Ah, yes, Legend of the Red Dragon... also: Usurper, Arrowbridge, Yankee Trader, Tradewars, Barren Realms Elite and too many other great games to mention.

Obviously another vote here for BBS gaming. The only online gaming I find worthwhile.

Garak

You rock!!

And naturally I do all my BBS gaming on an Atari 800. :D

ST's are also good for it. Speaking of which, Darkforces BBS has a good D&D type game on their BBS and that is run on a ST. You can find that and the other Atari BBS's by telneting to rdfig.net, get to the main menu, type X for internet, and then A for the Atari menu. And there are most of the Atari BBS's all there.