IGNORED

Video Game shops in your town that sell Atari 2600

slosu

Around the Tri-City area where i live(Midland,Saginaw,Baycity)we have jack that i know of for classic gaming stores.

In Midland there is the GameExchange which is a little "mom and pop" shop has some NES,SNES,and Sega Genny stuff but most has PS2 and X-Box games and systems.The owner is a super nice older guy that will find stuff for me sometimes(He got me a copy of Pitfall II for the Colecovision for $5 once and just gave me a free Sega Master System phaser gun this past week).

Also in Midland there is GameTraders which has alot of PS2 and X-Box stuff as well as a few NES games but i find that alot of there prices can be quite high but i have seen a few good deal on things there from time to time.

Saginaw has Video Games Plus now these guys are just way to high on alot of there prices i found and most recent trip i took there all of there Atari and Colecovision games were gone.

I guess over in Baycity a new gameshop opened up at the mall over there but i havnt had a chance to go and check it out so i have no ideal what they have there.

We then have a few GameStops and a GameCrazy but thats it in my close area.

Down here in the Greater New Orleans Area, there's a chain of stores called GameTrader that sell older systems--including 2600's.

And they fix older systems too!

Lots of cartridges for older systems--lots of 2600 carts and 2600's for sale, not to mention the controllers!

They sell new stuff and old--all second-hand, never as new--as well as repair the systems and/or the software as well (disc buffing, contacts-cleaning, all that). And you can try out the system and/or the game before you buy it to make sure it's working right--and they offer a warranty, game rentals, and even have weekly videogame tournaments!

GameTrader. They're local, they do good work, run a great chain of stores, and have good old-school and new-school product on the shelves and in the cases. If you're ever in Kenner or Metairie or across the river in Gretna, stop by; you'll be glad you did.

• 2 weeks later...
Down here in the Greater New Orleans Area, there's a chain of stores called GameTrader that sell older systems--including 2600's.

And they fix older systems too!

Lots of cartridges for older systems--lots of 2600 carts and 2600's for sale, not to mention the controllers!

They sell new stuff and old--all second-hand, never as new--as well as repair the systems and/or the software as well (disc buffing, contacts-cleaning, all that). And you can try out the system and/or the game before you buy it to make sure it's working right--and they offer a warranty, game rentals, and even have weekly videogame tournaments!

GameTrader. They're local, they do good work, run a great chain of stores, and have good old-school and new-school product on the shelves and in the cases. If you're ever in Kenner or Metairie or across the river in Gretna, stop by; you'll be glad you did.

That's awesome.....Video Game Connection here in C-Town has tournaments too. www.videogameconnection.com

"Here in southeast texas we only have 1 shop that sells atari games and they got all of them from me. I traded them in hoping others would see them and trade theirs in but no such luck. They did get a bunch of intelli games a while back but I don't collect those. "

What part of Southeast Texas? Houston area?

Anyhow I go to Baton Rouge, LA a couple times a year and always visit Videogame Exchange. They have a decent 2600 supply (system, controllers, common and scarce games) all reasonable. From $2 on up. I picked up a blue label Shark Attack and 7800 Rampage for $3 each last weekend. They have some boxed games too! Oddyssey 2, Coleco, Lynx,8 bit, nearly everything.

Get a picture of that Tattoo..... I want to see it.

Anyhow, the only local place that carries them, is called "Mega Media Exchange". GameStop used to, but I haven't seen any there in years. Of course, the local Goodwill Stores do, and I just found a new one a short drive away that I am going to hit this weekend, and see if they have any. The local Flea Market was a bust last time I was there, but I've picked some up there before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Does anyone know of any game shops in south-eastern lower Michigan? The only video game stores I know of are Game Stop EB Games and they stick to newer stuff.

I believe there is a Video Game Store in Michigan that sells Atari, Colecovision & Intelly called the Toyshop. I have never been there and I don't know where it is. A co-worker told me about it a while back. He said it was decent at best.

• 2 months later...

The only places I have found in the Beaverton, OR. area that still sells 2600 carts is a little shop in the Beaverton mall called ' Game Trader'. And let me tell ya the selection is kind of weak. There is also one in Portland, OR that is a classic arcade and it has quite a few OVERPRICED 2600 carts for sale. Most of the carts do not even have the box or man.

I'll give a shout out for the Toyratt in Mississauga, Ontario. I haven't been to his store but he ships. Bought a CV and some games years ago, great guy. Just email him what you're looking for.

http://www.toyratt.com/

He has youtube videos of his new arrivals. This one is two weeks old as of this post:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=eJhA1sK62ag

Edited by AtariLeaf

I'll give a shout out for the Toyratt in Mississauga, Ontario. I haven't been to his store but he ships. Bought a CV and some games years ago, great guy. Just email him what you're looking for.

He has youtube videos of his new arrivals. This one is two weeks old as of this post:

I like his "We are aggressively buying the Atari 2600." :rolling: :rolling:

Here in London, Ontario the best selection of 2600 stuff is in... well, it used to be called "Playmania" but after they moved a couple units over they got a new sign that doesn't really have a proper name on it. So I guess it's just "Video Games" now. Located out on Dundas Street, between a couple of sex shops.

Yeah, classy :P

But they do have a good pile of stuff for most of the old machines, and new ones too. Prices can be a bit higher than I would like, but a guy's gotta pay the rent, I guess.

I like his "We are aggressively buying the Atari 2600." :rolling: :rolling:

Probably because I keep bugging him about any new Atari goods coming in on a regular basis. :cool:

Here are my west coast locations.

Game Dude in North Hollywood has a small selection of commons (a bunch more lynx, though, if you're into that).

Also, there's a place in the U district in Seattle (I think it's called Al's but I'm not sure, the sign outside says they buy anything). They have boxes of Atari games under the bins on the right side of the store.

Ground Kontrol is the retrocade in Portland and they have some games for sale, but not as many as they used to under their old management. I go there everytime I visit, just to play the arcades.

I have to go to Indiana to find the only shop I know of that sells ANYTHING Atari. I can't recall the last time I've seen anything older than NES in the wild other than his shop which is called Pulp Heroes. He has my phone number and is supposed to call me when he gets anything that he knows I would be interested in (checks phone) nope, still no calls.

The last time I went out to storefronts actually searching for Atari games was years ago. There was a place called "The Atari Shop" that I used to go to (it was on HWY80 in Longview, Texas). The owner was the only employee and he was a crazy old guy who was seriously out of touch with reality. He was always trying to push the Jaguar on anyone who came in, complaining about how "people think that Nintendo's got the only shooting game, look at this!" and he was demonstrating a zapper game on the Jag. I remember I bought Adventure! there.

Thinking back, man I wish I had bought more stuff from that place. If it was Atari, he had it... 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar, Lynx, the old Atari Computers... But at the time, I was just a high school student with no job so all I could really afford was one 2600 game. :(

This may be a little off topic,but I hate how thrift shops and maybe some game shops sell games in packs of 2,one semi-rare,rare game, and 1 common as dirt one,and sell them for like $5-6 a pack.The stores around here are starting to do that more and more.I bought one with Montezuma's revenge,which is considered one of the beest games for the 2600,and in the same package...2600 PAC-MAN!,both in pack for $5.99 :x :roll:,f@#k I hate that.But as far as game shops,im glad there arent too many where I live,cus they're the ones who hog all the thrift shop games to sell them in their stores for 4x more :x

The Dragon's Den in Poughkeepsie, NY still has VCS stuff along with lots of classic console stuff. I was just there a couple of weeks ago and picked up Paperboy for the Genesis (never realized how close it was to the original), VR Stalker for the 3DO and a wheel for my XBOX.

I remember another shop in a mall in Paramus, NJ but forgot the name of it. They had better prices than the Dragon's Den.

When I visit relatives in southwest Florida, I usually take a ride up to the Fleamasters flea market in Fort Myers. They have a couple of classic gaming stands too. I picked up a top-load NES there about 5 years ago for $75. Most of their stuff is overprices too.

People don't realize that you may not be helping to situation at all by telling the seller how much something is worth. In this situation, just the opposite has happened. Sellers break rules and ebay looks the other way. Ebay only cares about money, plain and simple.

I live in Berne, IN. Our local shops are:

EDJE Video Bluffton: all 2600 games $0.25 apiece!! Great deal, He marks some higher, but has no idea what they are worth so the ones marked high are usualy commons and you can get rares for $0.25

EDJE Video Berne: This store is run by a lady that dosent know much about atari(or much else). Game prices are usualy based off the highest BIN on Ebay(I have no clue how she keeps in business).

The Book Nook(Decatur, IN) The current owners of this store just purchased it from the owner of EDJE, it had fallen into disorganization and chaos in the last few years. They now take in all games for all systems, and have a few 2600's some even CIB, but the selection is mostly super commons, and they havent had time to change pricing on them. I love this store because it is ran as a hobby by several gamers, and game prices are usualy abotu 10%-20% below curent market price. and they give better trade then most other local places.

SQ Video Trader: Another split from EDJE Video(The owner of EDJE started all local places then slod them when he gets close ot going under) The curent oners know nothing about games, IT is a good place to get new stuff, but Atari stuff is hard to find.

I mainly get my Atari stuff at garage sales, I find tons of great deals, I usualy give $5-$10 for a box of 50-100 games. Most of the time there are 20=copies of Combat and 10 pac-Mans per tub, but gems show up often, my latest claim to fame is a Menacer cart.

P.S. I sell some Atari stuff under the username Game Shack at GameGavel.com, Check out my store, I will be listing more soon. Several people from Atari Age have made purchases and that brought me here. Thanks Guys!!

Ceder Cliff Collectibles actually has some decent stuff

Yeah, just dont sell BACK to them. I had a CIB SNES Super Empire Strikes Back (even had the little plastic baggy) he offered me $5 for. I turn him down & walk over to the SNES games, there's a shitty sunfaded boxed one selling for $15. WTF???

IIRC he wouldnt even accept my Atari 8bit carts. Or maybe they werent worth selling back.

I havent been there or Discland for awhile. I almost went to Discland today (I was halfway there doing errands) but decided against it. I have too much to play already.

Edited by RJ