IGNORED

Atari EOL-converted file?

Larry

I am updating a little utility that I wrote years ago -- a CR/LF to CHR(155) converter. (Its redeeming qualities -- uses machine language routine for conversion and is an ABC-compiled file. So it is quite fast.) I still use it all the time. Here is the problem: when I wrote this, I had never heard of SIO2PC, so I used the extension of "ATR" to designate the converted .TXT file, which is written out to the same drive as the the original CR/LF file. One can override the default extension, but the converted file it still cannot be "TXT" since it is written to the same drive.

I'd like to rename the default extension to something else. I thought of ATX, but that is taken, also for protected images. Thought of ATA, but that is "reserved" for ATASCII-type text files. My latest thoughts are is TXA (TeXt-Atari) and EOL (showing conversion).

Not a huge issue, but I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Larry

Not a huge issue, but I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Larry

Well... in the BBS world (at least in the BBS:Express PRO world), the text files that I convert back and forth for display on the BBS use the ext ATA and ASC for Atascii and Ascii.

Larry, you seem to be making a distinction between the output of your program (TXA?) and ATASCII (ATA). What would be the difference between ATA and TXA?

I don't have a big issue with using ATA, but normally if one sees an Atari text file, it's labeled TXT. If it contains ATASCII characters, it may be labeled ATA. Since a converted (ASCII) text file is unlikely to contain any Atari-specific characters, I've avoided labeling it ATA. Maybe I'm being too picky, but that was the (il)logic.

I was not aware that in BBS'ing, that ATA was used for converted text files, but I haven't done any BBS'ing in many years.

-Larry

Larry, you seem to be making a distinction between the output of your program (TXA?) and ATASCII (ATA). What would be the difference between ATA and TXA?

I don't have a big issue with using ATA, but normally if one sees an Atari text file, it's labeled TXT. If it contains ATASCII characters, it may be labeled ATA. Since a converted (ASCII) text file is unlikely to contain any Atari-specific characters, I've avoided labeling it ATA. Maybe I'm being too picky, but that was the (il)logic.

I was not aware that in BBS'ing, that ATA was used for converted text files, but I haven't done any BBS'ing in many years.

-Larry

The ATA files on the BBS can definitely contain ATASCII specific graphics chars, so your TXA idea might indeed be a better choice for what you are doing.

-Larry

The ATA files on the BBS can definitely contain ATASCII specific graphics chars, so your TXA idea might indeed be a better choice for what you are doing.

How about "CTX" (Converted TeXt)? That strikes me as a meaningful extension.

-Larry