IGNORED

Does anyone still type in game programs from magazines?

Ross PK

I remember typing programs back in the day. My friend and I would type programs and then hope that we did not type something wrong so that the program would work as intended. Today I do not think I would have the patience to do so unless the program was short and could be completed in less than an hour.

OK how can I search just for typed in programs from say Atarimania? And if not there where are the typed in listing games so I can download them and try them?

I ask because typed in games can be quite fun on systems with lots of cool hardware features, which the A8 does have.

I could never be bothered - the Commodore User listings never worked for my dad, or his friend, or anyone I knew so I just read the blurb under the screenshot and wrote my own game based on what I thought the type-in did.

That's how I got started with programming

Edited by sack-c0s

I remember typing in Livewire back in the day and being blown away. I couldn't believe that I had typed in Tempest out of a magazine. There was always this great anticipation as I typed in the program's. Was it going to be cool or a dud? I'm tempted to search out some good type-in's and punch them in just the fun of it. :)

Any recommendations?

Edited by tep392

I grew up with the Coco and used to spend hours typing in games from The Rainbow magazine. Good times :)

Don't do it anymore, don't really need to since all the programs from the magazine are all available online but I'm sure like most computers of the day, you could get tapes or disks even then with that months programs on them. Rainbow on Tape and Rainbow on Disk - I had a few back in the 80's IIRC.

I used to religiously type in every Commodore 64 program from Compute! magazine every month and save them to tape or disk. In the last few months, I've typed in some Compute! programs (games, mostly) on computers I didn't have back in the day, e.g. Atari 800, VIC-20, TI-99/4A and Apple //e.

ah, Compute! :)

I used to type in MANY of their games for my old 800. I remember on Hellish one in particular that was some kind of submarine game, that try as i might, i could never seem to get to work correctly. I spent hours on it, and if i remember, in the next issue they issued an addendum stating there was a bug in 1 of their lines of code :sad:

I used to religiously type in every Commodore 64 program from Compute! magazine every month and save them to tape or disk. In the last few months, I've typed in some Compute! programs (games, mostly) on computers I didn't have back in the day, e.g. Atari 800, VIC-20, TI-99/4A and Apple //e.

I've been on a bit of a typing mission for a few years, and am currently in possession of a new APE registration, so am able to transfer everything to the PC :)

If anyone's interested, I've done all the programs (not just games) from the following:

Games for The Atari by Paul Bunn (The one with Safe Cracker and Ski Run)

The Musical Atari (book)

Atari User magazine (all of Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 and most of Vol. 3)

Currently working on Best Of PCW Software For The Atari XL (about halfway through)

For the games from Atari User, I've written my own little menu proggy too.

If anyone (Atari Frog? :)) is interested in these let me know and I'll get a transfer started. I had intended to hold off on the Atari User stuff until I finished it all, but seeing as there's an interest in this old stuff I can attach anything up to what I've completed.

Did these every get posted? (esp. the Paul Bunn stuff)

Yes.

Here.

• Like 1

I remember typing in the BASIC listing of Compute's SpeedScript word processor, and then typing in the assembly language listing from the same book when I later got an assembler. They both seemed like big undertakings at the time...

Edited by flashjazzcat

I remember typing in the BASIC listing of Compute's SpeedScript word processor, and then typing in the assembly language listing from the same book when I later got an assembler. They both seemed like big undertakings at the time...

That brings back some memories when I typed in those 4 to 8 page listings from Compute, Antic, Analog and other sources. I must have over (20) 90 Minute tapes with all of that stuff saved.

I can remember some times, after getting close to the end and having the power get interrupted or accidentally turning off the power and having to type all of it in again... After a few times of that, I started saving every 10 minutes ;)

There was something mesmerisingly theraputic about typing in those endless strings of hex values. One was completely focused on the task at hand, and yet one didn't have to think about it, since the copying from page to keyboard eventually became automatic.

Zen, and the art of Atari coding.

There was something mesmerisingly theraputic about typing in those endless strings of hex values. One was completely focused on the task at hand, and yet one didn't have to think about it, since the copying from page to keyboard eventually became automatic.

Zen, and the art of Atari coding.

Or is it the joy of hex? :)

I'm still trying to type in some of my own programs from back in the day, and can't quite make them fully work yet. Used to LOVE typing in the magazine programs when I was a kid! The anticipation!!!

• Like 1

OK how can I search just for typed in programs from say Atarimania? And if not there where are the typed in listing games so I can download them and try them?

I ask because typed in games can be quite fun on systems with lots of cool hardware features, which the A8 does have.

Atarimania is your best best for type-ins, but there are still MANY missing titles. You could do a search for BASIC progs, but the list would likely be fairly overwhelming. I like to categorize things by publisher (Analog, Antic, Compute!, Dell [Paul Bunn book]). Some day I will have them all collected in sets, I hope.

Atarimania is your best best for type-ins, but there are still MANY missing titles. You could do a search for BASIC progs, but the list would likely be fairly overwhelming. I like to categorize things by publisher (Analog, Antic, Compute!, Dell [Paul Bunn book]). Some day I will have them all collected in sets, I hope.

Thank you for explaining. My new mission is more Atari video gameplay uploads.