IGNORED

Does anyone still type in game programs from magazines?

Ross PK

I did type in programs, then a few years later ANalog and antic and these disk was out, thats the way I went.

I did type in and share with others compute ect..

I did not see it here, but did you all know that Computer Shopper Had programs to type in ? That was a HUGE

magazine atleast 2 inchs thick that had programs for Atari, Commy TI ect..

OK how can I search just for typed in programs from say Atarimania? And if not there where are the typed in listing games so I can download them and try them?

I ask because typed in games can be quite fun on systems with lots of cool hardware features, which the A8 does have.

Atarimania is your best best for type-ins, but there are still MANY missing titles. You could do a search for BASIC progs, but the list would likely be fairly overwhelming. I like to categorize things by publisher (Analog, Antic, Compute!, Dell [Paul Bunn book]). Some day I will have them all collected in sets, I hope.

Thank you for explaining. My new mission is more Atari video gameplay uploads.

on Atarimania click on 'Advanced Search' then select Page 6 Magazine (Atari User, Antic, Analog etc) from the 'Publisher' box e.g. here Page6 :)

Spent plenty of time keying in games like Safe Cracker by hand, even took a stab at player missile graphics at one point. I still use the old Football Predictor program from ANTIC Oct 87-ish as a base for a current Excel file. As a matter of fact, I made an attempt to port Entrepreneur Jungle to MS Excel as well as MicroLeague Baseball (Text only of course). Time constraints... Not 1987 anymore.

I have scanned in some type in programs for my TRS-80 via my scanner and OCR software and converted the files to a raw text format, then imported them into a disk image which I can use with an emulator or write to an actual disk.

Wouldn't it be faster to just type the stuff in?

Pleasant memories. Typing in for hours - on an Atari 400 membrane keyboard.

Middle of the living room floor, on the family's Zenith console TV.

Save to 410 recorder, only to find it was a "bad save" - OR -

Your sister walks past and trips over the power cord, which you had stretched max distance across the walking path.

Start over.

HA HA.

When we'd have gaming marathons and "parties" I'd tell everyone the cost of admission was that you had to spend some time typing in a portion of a long program before you could play anything. So while they were typing in stuff I'd go off and play something, telling them I was working too! Testing out the joystick connections and switches to be sure everything would work for the upcoming gaming session.