IGNORED

Sirius, Plutos and Rampart Prototypes Released! For Real!

Curt Vendel

It looks like there was some mix-ups on the file versions. I'm attaching the last versions that were worked on.

Mitch

[Edit: I have updated the first post and the files in the AA database (not sure if those were different, didn't check) -- Al]

I just tried these out on my Cuttle Cart. Not much time to get into them now but am really grateful for these being shared. I love shooters like this (Xevious, Life Force and Raiden are among my favorites). The games are tough (though not miserably impossible like THUNDERFOX on the XE) but worth delving into further. Really nice looking and smooth playing too - they make good use of the 7800's color and sprite handling capabilities.

A great find and a happy april fool's day. Thanks everyone who participated in making this happen! Three more "lost" games finally surfaced

I just tried these out on my Cuttle Cart. Not much time to get into them now but am really grateful for these being shared. I love shooters like this (Xevious, Life Force and Raiden are among my favorites). The games are tough (though not miserably impossible like THUNDERFOX on the XE) but worth delving into further. Really nice looking and smooth playing too - they make good use of the 7800's color and sprite handling capabilities.

A great find and a happy april fool's day. Thanks everyone who participated in making this happen! Three more "lost" games finally surfaced

Thunderfox is not miserably impossible. The problem with it is that it starts out as hard as it gets... it doesn't ramp up but starts you off at a really difficult level. I remember giving up on it at first but once I finally got the hang of it, I really liked it. But I can certainly understand why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. In fact, if I had lots of other games to play at the time, I may not have dug as deep into it as I did.

I thought that this was a classic April Fool's Day joke and didn't believe it for a minute :-).

Edited by stirrell

Thunderfox is not miserably impossible. The problem with it is that it starts out as hard as it gets... it doesn't ramp up but starts you off at a really difficult level. I remember giving up on it at first but once I finally got the hang of it, I really liked it. But I can certainly understand why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. In fact, if I had lots of other games to play at the time, I may not have dug as deep into it as I did.

I thought that this was a classic April Fool's Day joke and didn't believe it for a minute :-).

Any Thunderfox tips? I've tried to get into the game a bunch of times and just get annoyed with it.

I'm liking these games, though I agree with Tempest that Sirius is really tough. With all those damn things flying around space, I use up lives pretty quickly. It looks cool.

Plutos is neat. It's basically everything I wished that Planet Smashers was, but wasn't.

Both games make really good use of the 7800s strengths with lots of objects flying around, some cool video effects and great use of its broad palette.

These guys must have been Atari 8bit and ST developers because the games have that style

These guys must have been Atari 8bit and ST developers because the games have that style

Tynesoft was a well known 8-bit developer that later got into ST games (which weren't nearly as well known). It appears that they were just starting to branch out into 7800 games when they went under.

Tempest

Ahem... (from the other thread):

Man, even though I know what day this is, you had me going for just a second. Hope springs eternal, I guess.

Rampart on 7800... mmmm....

Well, if you take a look at past April Fool's jokes, you'll recall that Beef Drop started out as one to. And now, that's my most-played 7800 cart these days. :D

It's amazing what this one day can do to the imagination and how much it can fuel inspiration, especially around here.

Myself? I tend to just hide under a rock until the day is over. :D

Yea, but that was one game. We're talking three games here. And since when has Curt ever programmed a game. I think the closest he came was the High-Score cart, hardly a game. (Although a great device/cart.)

I really wouldn't get your hopes up to high here.

Allan

Not an exact call, but pretty close. The joke did materialize into real games, did they not? :D

All in jest, though. I'm really glad these were found, and Plutos and Sirius? Just amazing.

Happy April Fool's Day, everyone! :)

Holy awesomeness! :lust: Thanks for the work everyone, this is great! :D

And to answer the inevitable next questions:

PLUTOS 78SC_R16 78BIOS

SIRIUS 78SC_R16 78QUICK

:)

These settings worked fine for my Cuttle Cart. Thanks Remo Williams.

And Thanks again Curt for these awesome games. They will make a awesome edition to my 7800. Just need to pull out my rapid fire stick and go to town with these games. :D

wow... looks like c64 shooters... ;)

Was thinking the same myself, how these reminded me of other games I've played, and in the end, realized I was thinking of 8-bit Atari games that were made later on. And at some point I found myself forgetting I was playing on a 7800. :D

Ahem... (from the other thread):

Man, even though I know what day this is, you had me going for just a second. Hope springs eternal, I guess.

Rampart on 7800... mmmm....

Well, if you take a look at past April Fool's jokes, you'll recall that Beef Drop started out as one to. And now, that's my most-played 7800 cart these days. :D

It's amazing what this one day can do to the imagination and how much it can fuel inspiration, especially around here.

Myself? I tend to just hide under a rock until the day is over. :D

Yea, but that was one game. We're talking three games here. And since when has Curt ever programmed a game. I think the closest he came was the High-Score cart, hardly a game. (Although a great device/cart.)

I really wouldn't get your hopes up to high here.

Allan

Not an exact call, but pretty close. The joke did materialize into real games, did they not? :D

All in jest, though. I'm really glad these were found, and Plutos and Sirius? Just amazing.

Happy April Fool's Day, everyone! :)

Well, considering I know everything it was not a axact call at all. I've been playing these games for weeks now. :)

Allan

Any Thunderfox tips? I've tried to get into the game a bunch of times and just get annoyed with it.

Gosh, it has seriously been roughly 15 years since I last played that game (wish I never got rid of the XEGS and all the other Atari stuff I had). I'd love to be able to fire it up again.

I remember the main issues with it being difficult is that you're fast and so it is hard to see the danger ahead of you. Obviously, you'll get to know where the danger is but I remember having to flip back and go back aways and then reverse direction quite a bit. Just fly back to the left to regroup in tough situations.

The other major issue, if I recall, are the "walls" that bounce you aggressively back into play when you go too far to the right. This often results in crashing into the walls. I think that you could hold the stick to the right to keep from bouncing but I may be wrong. Sorry my recollection is so foggy!

Okay, I'm not giving you much to go on. I did a search for information but didn't come up with anything useful on the Net either... perhaps someone else can give more help.

Its not just me, this was a major team effort - Mitch, Bob, Eckhard, Glenn, Matt, Albert, Allan... everyone helped make this happen in their spare time and for the pure sake of seeing these games out for everyone to try, play and enjoy.

Curt

Thanks Curt.

Its not just me, this was a major team effort - Mitch, Bob, Eckhard, Glenn, Matt, Albert, Allan... everyone helped make this happen in their spare time and for the pure sake of seeing these games out for everyone to try, play and enjoy.

Curt

Thanks Curt.

I stand corrected. Thanks guys, I think everyone appreciates the hard work.