IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 30: Crackpots

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

We're infested! A bug barrage is swarming out of the sewer, chomping away at every building in town. Entire neighborhoods are now crumb piles! Over in Brooklyn, Potsy, the rooftop gardener, is defeating his beloved building with his only weapon - potted petunias. Be a good neighbor. Help him take potshots at the insect invaders... Quick! When too many bugs crawl into the windows, they'll start eating you out of house and home!

s_Crackpots_3.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Crackpots
  • Released By: Activision, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1 - 1 Player
  • Chosen By: PressureCooker2600

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday April 9th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 363,150 (keilbaca) [+11]Crackpots.jpg[+2]
  2. 99,540 (aftermac) [+10]Crackpots.jpg[+2]
  3. 90,490 (Deteacher) [+9]Crackpots.jpg[+2]
  4. 85,230 (StanJr) [+8]Crackpots.jpg[+2]
  5. 82,380 (toymailman) [+7]Crackpots.jpg[+2]
  6. 63,660 (theking21083) [+6]
  7. 62,880 (Impaler_26) [+5]
  8. 60,790 (opeygon) [+4]
  9. 57,660 (Gemini) [+3]
  10. 52,450 (SpiceWare) [+2]
  11. 47,440 (Shannon) [+1]
  12. 43,130 (Kurt_Woloch) [+1]
  13. 18,390 (Captain Beard) [+1]
  14. 16,370 (phaxda) [+1]

Best Tips
  • keilbaca [+2]

Challenges
  • Patch Challenge - Crackpots - Score 75,000 points or higher and get 2 bonus points!

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 1,000,000 (Todd Rogers)
  2. 520,600 (David B Yancey)
  3. 312,210 (Christien L Keilback)
Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings

1. Deteacher [287]
  2. toymailman [265]
  3. keilbaca [169]
  4. Captain Beard [143]
  5. theking21083 [115]
  6. aftermac [100]
  7. Kurt_Woloch [93]
  8. Impaler_26 [93]
  9. homerwannabee [90]
  10. PressureCooker2600 [87]
  11. Nathan Strum [84]
  12. SpiceWare [72]
  13. rheffera [65]
  14. Gemini [55]
  15. Mister VCS [47]
  16. Recycled [44]
  17. Bentley Bear! [44]
  18. midnight magicman [44]
  19. phaxda [44]
  20. DarthCalvin [36]
  21. LarcenTyler [36]
  22. Blackjack [35]
  23. Christophero Sly [35]
  24. the 5th ghost [30]
  25. shadow460 [25]
  26. StanJr [24]
  27. Rom Hunter [23]
  28. ed1475 [19]
  29. Butterwasp [18]
  30. theKLT [12]
  31. lucifershalo [12]
  32. doctorclu [11]
  33. godzillajoe [11]
  34. Artlover [9]
  35. atariwarrior [9]
  36. Dauber [9]
  37. vintagegamecrazy [8]
  38. keitaro [7]
  39. lonewolfette9847 [6]
  40. Goochman [6]
  41. atari2600land [6]
  42. Shannon [6]
  43. Omegamatrix [6]
  44. darthkur [6]
  45. chuckwalla [5]
  46. Nognir [5]
  47. MrBeefy [5]
  48. cosmosiss [3]
  49. Crazy Climber [3]
  50. SeaGtGruff [3]
  51. gospeedde [2]
  52. Phantom [2]
  53. Snider-man [2]
  54. EricDeLee [1]
  55. RJ [1]
  56. jboypacman [1]
  57. opeygon [1]
  58. hrecker [1]
  59. [d2f]Iggy*SJB [1]
  60. HatNJ [1]
  61. KaeruYojimbo [1]

Scoring Points in Crackpots
  • Black Bugs - 10 points * Level Number
  • Blue Bugs - 20 points * Level Number
  • Red Bugs - 30 points * Level Number
  • Green Bugs - 40 points * Level Number
  • Point values reach a maximum at level 8 (so level 9 scores the same as 8)
  • 200 points are awarded for each bug print remaining at the end of every wave.

Hints and Tips
  • Play the sidewalk - that is, try to hit the bugs while they're crawling along the sidewalk or when they're just coming out of the sewer. The closer they get to the windows, the less time you'll have to react.
  • "When you're up in the higher levels, the bugs will crawl too fast for you to get them all. You're better off playing, say, three selected windows in the middle. It's OK if a few crawlers get in on the extreme right or left. You only have to get seven out of twelve bugs to go to the next level.
  • Notice that the red bugs end up 2 windows away from where they began their diagonal climb. And, while the building is still pretty high, the green bugs will end up at the window over the spot they started from below. Keep this in mind and you'll soon be dropping the right pot at the right time.

This is the third time we've played this game in the High Score Club, you might want to check out this thread and this thread for more hints and tips
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy and a scanned copy available online for your viewing pleasure. Here are the hints it provides:
keilbaca
The first spider always travels to the same destination. Place your guy at the following spots on each of the levels.

Black and Blue spiders: 2nd pot.
Red spiders: 4th pot.
Green Spiders: 3rd pot if you didn't lose any levels yet, 2nd pot when you do.

The trick is, don't get them all. You are just too slow to get all the spiders. Learn to let one or two go, so you can get the 4 or 5 that are near you.

The hardest spiders, are the red spiders. The trick to this one: lose a level. They only travel to the middle 4 pots, when you lose 1 or 2 levels. After you lose those two levels of building, its just a slow downward spiral to death.
Deteacher
The only tip I can add is this: If you can spare the time, drop the flower pots as you cross from one side to the other. The dropping pots have a good chance of crushing a bug that's scurrying across the sidewalk. If you're in a hurry, though, don't try this as it will slow you down.

--Zero

Of course it's a trend. keilbaca SAID to watch out....he's back. :)

Meanwhile, in average game score land, I'll probably not even get NEAR keilbaca and Deteacher's scores.

LOL! Yeah, I'll be satisfied if i can get my patch this week... now if only I could use this score on Stampede. :roll:

This will probably be the best I'll do this week. Don't care for Crackpots much, never have, and therefore I don't play it much and therefore I pretty much suck at it. It will be nice to see you fans go at it though!

post-409-1207183242_thumb.jpg

Of course it's a trend. keilbaca SAID to watch out....he's back. :)

Meanwhile, in average game score land, I'll probably not even get NEAR keilbaca and Deteacher's scores.

Well to be fair, they haven't been competitively high, not like I can do this week.

I've only had time to play a couple games or so.

Edited by keilbaca

Bring it on Deteacher.

Them's fightin' words! :) :) :) But seriously, wow! That's an awesome score! I will give it my best shot, but this hasn't been one of my better games. I scored in the 80 range for the Activision patch contest over at DP. Not sure if I can best that score, but I'll put some work into this over the weekend.

I scored in the 80 range for the Activision patch contest over at DP.

There's another place that has friendly 2600 competitions! I'll have to go check it out. I assume DP is Digital Press?

I upped my score a little here.

post-10944-1207287039_thumb.jpg

I'm really hoping to get the patch on this game. Does everyone else feel this is the hardest Activision game to earn the patch for? Sure seems like it to me.

Yes, DP is Digital Press. I'm not sure if they have an ongoing weekly contest like we do over here @ AA, but it's also a nice community.

I think Space Shuttle is the hardest game to earn the patches. the 1,000,000 point Laser Blast patch really sucks too...not because it's a hard game, but because it's a freakin' boring game. On game 1, it takes SEVERAL hours to get to 1MIL. Ugh!

I think Space Shuttle is the hardest game to earn the patches. the 1,000,000 point Laser Blast patch really sucks too...not because it's a hard game, but because it's a freakin' boring game. On game 1, it takes SEVERAL hours to get to 1MIL. Ugh!

Agreed. Now Space Shuttle is on the top of my list because I just got the Crackpots one. :D

post-10944-1207321234_thumb.jpg