IGNORED

*** New A8 - Atari BBS - Need thoughts ***

tcropper

I have been working with Dr_Clu on this one for some time now, and I am almost ready to put up a new BBS using my Atari A8, and (Ben) Bravo Sierra said he might trade me some equipment for an Atari Modem (SX212). I want to put the original hardware online, with a modem, etc. I have an Atari 1200XL and some 1050 drives.

What's everyone's thoughts? Can I do this with my phoneline at night for everyone? I really don't wanna do telnet.

What's everyone's thoughts or wishes for a BBS?

I see BBSES like Mousenet BBS, which is a great BBS, but there is no traffic in the forums. We need more BBS traffic everyone. Telnet to Mousenet and use his forums. (mousenet telnet is: atari-bbs.kicks-ass.net) - I have been on there weekly for many months now, with almost no response from anyone else.

Anyways, everyone give me some ideas here before I spend the cash for modem, software, etc. Thanks!

I have been working with Dr_Clu on this one for some time now, and I am almost ready to put up a new BBS using my Atari A8, and (Ben) Bravo Sierra said he might trade me some equipment for an Atari Modem (SX212). I want to put the original hardware online, with a modem, etc. I have an Atari 1200XL and some 1050 drives.

What's everyone's thoughts? Can I do this with my phoneline at night for everyone? I really don't wanna do telnet.

What's everyone's thoughts or wishes for a BBS?

I see BBSES like Mousenet BBS, which is a great BBS, but there is no traffic in the forums. We need more BBS traffic everyone. Telnet to Mousenet and use his forums. (mousenet telnet is: atari-bbs.kicks-ass.net) - I have been on there weekly for many months now, with almost no response from anyone else.

Anyways, everyone give me some ideas here before I spend the cash for modem, software, etc. Thanks!

Problem with that idea is that most of us no longer even own dial-up modems for our PCs, much less for ATARIs. Hell, if you are like a good percentage of the people I know, you dont even have a land-line comming to your house anymore. Most of my friends have cable internet and a cell-phone for voice calls.

Using dial-up technology, you are seriopusly limiting the sizeof your user base, even within the active ATARI community, which is already somewhat limited.

TELNET is definitely the way to go. Theres 2 ways to do it. one is use an SIO2PC interface and leave a PC on all the time to give the ATARI internet connectivity. Another is to buy a stand-alone terminal-server box, such as the Lantronix UDS-10 (or equivelant). This is a small adaptor box that basically lets you put your atari directly in your ethernet network for telnet purposes, assign an IP adress to it, etc. To use one of thes "terminal servers" you need a standard RS232 port on your ATARI which means you need either an 850 interface, ICD P:R: CONNECTION, MULTI I/O, CSS BLACK BOX, R:VERTER, or some other device that provides a standard RS232 port. The whole mess "looks" like an external modem to your ATARI.

Then all you have to do is port-forward incomming telnet traffic (in your internet connection router) to the IP adress that you have set for the ATARI, register and redirect a domain name (many services like dyndns.org will do this for free,) and you are done. Your ATARI can now recieve telnet connection sessions from the internet the same way it would via a dial-up modem.

Edited by MEtalGuy66

While I know about the newer telnet stuff, I was hoping for input from folks that do still have modems and wanted to try them out. Some complain there are no 300 bauders out there, so I was hoping to be a tester bbs for those folks. Plus, the modem hardware is readily found, and very cheap. The equipment requried for a telnet Atari BBS would probably cost me $50 or more.

I need thoughts and ideas here folks!!!!

....Course it IS a REAL Atari 1200XL, so limit the ideas to that :)

(Ben) Bravo Sierra said he might trade me some equipment for an Atari Modem (SX212). I want to put the original hardware online, with a modem, etc. I have an Atari 1200XL and some 1050 drives.

There is also a sx212 on e-bay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SX-212-Modem-1200-baud...1QQcmdZViewItem

I like the idea of being able to use an Atari modem to connect to a BBS. It wouold be a lot of fun but without telnet connectivity I don't know how much traffic you will get, but if you don't mind tying up an 8-bit for a once in a while visitor, I think that's very cool.

I think most Atari fans at this point simply don't have the time for a traditional BBS forum like they did when they were kids back in the day. An internet forum like this can generate traffic because folks like me (ok, I admit it) can pop in and out from work.

Ugh. Who wants to pay long distance charges to call a BBS?

Maybe there's a way to allow both telnet and real modems? Is there any A8 BBS software that supports multiple lines, so you could e.g. use an 850 (4 serial ports), with a modem on one port and a terminal server box (or PC + SIO2PC) on one or more of the other ports? Metalguy is right, if you limit yourself to modem users only, you won't get much traffic.

Maybe there's a way to allow both telnet and real modems?

Yep. BBS Express Professional (Now called TCP/IP express)

And as far as I know, the author's BBS (Inside the 8-bit, run by Steve Carden) has 3 telnet nodes and 1 dial-up node. Of course, it takes 1 atari per node, plus an extra atari to act as the "master" and you have to have a CSS MULTIPLEXER setup to network them together, and its not gonna run in any kind of decent functional form without a hard disk setup.

so, a minimal configuration that supports telnet and dialup would include:

3 ATARI XL/XE machines, each with a MULTIPLEXER and at least 64k of RAM.

Two of the machines would have to have some form of RS232 interface.

You'd need one modem for the dial-up node.

Youd need a PC to serve as internet gateway, or a terminal server (like I discussed in my previous post)..

1 hardisk controller such as an ICD MIO, CSS BLACKBOX, or SUPRA/KMK..

Steve sells the MULTIPLEXER, which CSS is no longer building, and can probably point you in the right direction to purchase a good hardisk setup as well.

http://www.tcpipexpress.com

Edited by MEtalGuy66

I think most Atari fans at this point simply don't have the time for a traditional BBS forum like they did when they were kids back in the day. An internet forum like this can generate traffic because folks like me (ok, I admit it) can pop in and out from work.

Here I don't agree. I used to pop in and I still do to Mousenet BBS. I have posted several messages, but there again, no one is using them. His board can use any telnet client and still have access to it online. I think it's all the internet glitz and glamor that have us not using the old forums.

I for one think they are simpler and easier to use than all this glitz and glamour of today.

And as far as I know, the author's BBS (Inside the 8-bit, run by Steve Carden) has 3 telnet nodes and 1 dial-up node. Of course, it takes 1 atari per node, plus an extra atari to act as the "master" and you have to have a CSS MULTIPLEXER setup to network them together, and its not gonna run in any kind of decent functional form without a hard disk setup.

Youd need a PC to serve as internet gateway, or a terminal server (like I discussed in my previous post)..

Steve sells the MULTIPLEXER, which CSS is no longer building, and can probably point you in the right direction to purchase a good hardisk setup as well.

I've been working with Steve and I'm in the process of putting together an 8 node TCPIP Express BBS

The project has been under way for a year now, but by this Summer I should have it online.

The system specs so far;

TCPIP Express BBS Software with Steve's RealDOS OS

9 CSS Multiplexor cards (1 Master and 8 Slaves)

1 800XL Master computer with CSS Black Box + 1g SCSI HD, and R-Time Cart for time stamping

8 800XL Slaves (six with CSS Black Boxes, two with the new MIO's MetalGuy66 is building for the RS232 support) + 256k RAM

4 Lantronix UDS200 Dual Port IP to Serial boxes

2x 500w ATX Power Supplies to power everything

FYI: I'm the reason why Steve picked up the Multiplexor parts from Bob Puff and revitalized the project, I bought the first 15 of them from him. :) I highly recommend you check out his web site and pick up a Multiplexor starter kit if your at all interested in Atari networking (read file sharing). I also bought up all of Bob's remaining Black Boxes and Floppy Board parts to build this mamma.

It should be pretty cool for the 10-20 callers that I anticipate visiting it :roll: so stay tuned. If it gets enough traffic I'll build a web site with clickable telnet links to the different nodes and put a web cam up so you can see the real Atari's in action as you access the board.

I've put a lot of time and money in to it so far so hopefully it will give a few others some enjoyment besides just me.

Heres what it looked like last Fall with one spare computer on the shelf where the HD will reside and no wiring.

gallery_9833_251_8028.jpg

Edited by Bumzyman

I've been working with Steve and I'm in the process of putting together an 8 node TCPIP Express BBS

The project has been under way for a year now, but by this Summer I should have it online.

The system specs so far;

1 800XL Master computer with CSS Black Box + 1g SCSI HD, and R-Time Cart for time stamping

8 800XL Slaves (six with CSS Black Boxes, two with the new MIO's MetalGuy66 is building for the RS232 support) + 256k RAM

FYI: I'm the reason why Steve picked up the Multiplexor parts from Bob Puff and revitalized the project, I bought the first 15 of them from him. :) I highly recommend you check out his web site and pick up a Multiplexor starter kit if your at all interested in Atari networking (read file sharing). I also bought up all of Bob's remaining Black Boxes and Floppy Board parts to build this mamma.

It should be pretty cool for the 10-20 callers that I anticipate visiting it :roll: so stay tuned. If it gets enough traffic I'll build a web site with clickable telnet links to the different nodes and put a web cam up so you can see the real Atari's in action as you access the board.

I've put a lot of time and money in to it so far so hopefully it will give a few others some enjoyment besides just me.

Heres what it looked like last Fall with one spare computer on the shelf where the HD will reside and no wiring.

gallery_9833_251_8028.jpg

Now THAT is devotion. Don't write me off on the BBS front.. just been away for a few weeks taking care of some home fires. But really cheers me up to hear about all this being done. Always have been crazy about the BBS's. I guess because not just anyone will work to get on a BBS, and even more rare, navigate an Atari computer to get there. :D A fun hangout of sorts away from it all.

The only way I'd use or run an Atari related BBS is if there were games that multiple people would play. Something like the old DOOR system for the PC BBS's. I don't think anything like that for the 8-bits though (at least not that can support multiple people at once). Still, I've always wanted to run an Atari released BBS either on my 8-bit or STE.

Tempest

The system specs so far;

Yep. I've been real busy lately on the MIO project again. Theres gonna be some big news real soon, and hopefully, you should be getting those MIOs in time for your launch-date..

one word from little me: WOW! That is great. I will want to be accessing your bbs, and perhaps we could setup some kind of ATARI BBS mail sharing deally, kind of like the Fidonet for PC's that allowed mail to be transferred. I am in awe, but hope my BBS will bring some of the excitement back to everyone that I had when calling BBSES as a wide-eyed 12 yr old!

This is epic, I can't wait to see it come alive.

Steve

I'd probably use your BBS. I still have a land line (why I'm not sure at this point - the wife and I have talked about getting rid of it) and I know I have at least one Hayes compatible modem around here somewhere. Besides I doubt you would be a long distance call for me :) I say go for it. I'd like to relive the old BBS days.

tjb

Edited by tjb

If you put it on your home phone line at night, you should be prepared to get modem calls all the time. I did this exact thing on my original BBS in 1984, and my phone rang constantly day and night with modem calls. Within 2 weeks I had to get a 2nd phone line & new number for voice usage. Modem users back then just did not pay attention to online schedules.

Most likely, the modem traffic will probably only be 1% of what it was back then, so it may not be a problem, but it is something to think about...

MY $.02 (from experience)

I used to live on these BBSs. Especially NORTH SHORE, North Shore A.M.I.S. which was a local call from my to-be inlaws' home. Besides downloading anything I could, the bulletin boards were the best support in the day.

For that reason, this thread got me feeling a bit nostalgic and I telnet'd to a couple.

It was fun for a couple minutes. After that, it was just a low end text site with no content.

I was thinking it might be fun to serialize an old BBS -- gradually populate a bbs with messages from back in the day so visitors were reliving that era. Is this possible? Does anyone have the old messages? Would anyone else be interested?

I used to live on these BBSs. Especially NORTH SHORE, North Shore A.M.I.S. which was a local call from my to-be inlaws' home. Besides downloading anything I could, the bulletin boards were the best support in the day.

For that reason, this thread got me feeling a bit nostalgic and I telnet'd to a couple.

It was fun for a couple minutes. After that, it was just a low end text site with no content.

I was thinking it might be fun to serialize an old BBS -- gradually populate a bbs with messages from back in the day so visitors were reliving that era. Is this possible? Does anyone have the old messages? Would anyone else be interested?

That's Exactly what I am trying to do, as well as add my bbs to the list of Atari Excitement. Mousenet and a few of the others still HAVE messages from pretty far back...

Speaking of old messages, My BBS contains the old BBS:Express PRO support board msg bases circa 1989-90-91??? before Keith Ledbetter sold PRO to K-Products. The bases are in READ-ONLY format and an interesting bit of A8 history.

My version of PRO had the Msgbas networking built into it and unless it was removed in later versions, should still be workable. Steve Carden could clarify this better than I.

Edited by bf2k+

I am just skimming through this thread and agree using dialup modems is very limiting. Some of us broadband users even have our phone through Vonage or another online phone service, so its completely the other way around. I am wondering if there is a way to link a BBS to a website to where the BBS can be accessed from an internet connection and link that to an Atari system. Not sure exactly how to network the Atari to an Ethernet system, and have that link to this webpage. But I would leave that to the hobbyist on here to figure that out.

I am just skimming through this thread and agree using dialup modems is very limiting. Some of us broadband users even have our phone through Vonage or another online phone service, so its completely the other way around. I am wondering if there is a way to link a BBS to a website to where the BBS can be accessed from an internet connection and link that to an Atari system. Not sure exactly how to network the Atari to an Ethernet system, and have that link to this webpage. But I would leave that to the hobbyist on here to figure that out.

People do it with real A8 machines using A.P.E. on a PC or a Lantronix.

I run mine on a PC using the emulator. (link below)