IGNORED

atari 8-bit to pc.

ac.tomo

Can anybody help? What exactly would I need to transfer from the 8-bit upto the pc and can I just connect the disk drive to the pc or has it got to be both the disk drive and the computer connnected? I really haven't got the foggiest idea how to go about it so a nice easy and clear explanation would be most appreciated, thankyou.

:) http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705

This link explains the needed ... and why.

So, I think I got it, what I need to just connect up my 'speedy' upgraded 1050 disk drive to the pc is 'sio2pc/prosystem universal interface', but what software do I need to use with the pc, or does the software come with the interface?

So, I think I got it, what I need to just connect up my 'speedy' upgraded 1050 disk drive to the pc is 'sio2pc/prosystem universal interface', but what software do I need to use with the pc, or does the software come with the interface?

SIO2PC and APE are from the same vendor, Atarimax. They will be a separate charge though. You can download the trial of APE from the website and check it out but it is worth the purchase. If you get the SIO2PC from Atarimax, get the USB version. With a speed enhanced 1050 (USD, Happy, Speedy), it flies!!!

No, software is separate from hardware. There is "trial" software, though.

There are two parts to APE software: APE and the ProSystem. I'm not sure if the ProSystem is included in the "trial" software.

APE functions by connecting the Atari computer and its drive(s) to a PC through a Atari SIO <-> serial or USB interface.

ProSystem functions by connecting the Atari drive to the interface.

These are explained at the Atarimax web site. The "trial" software will do much; the registered software will do even more. IMO, APE is easier to use than the ProSystem, but it does require an Atari computer to be hooked up for image transfers.

-Larry

SIO2PC and APE are from the same vendor, Atarimax. They will be a separate charge though. You can download the trial of APE from the website and check it out but it is worth the purchase. If you get the SIO2PC from Atarimax, get the USB version. With a speed enhanced 1050 (USD, Happy, Speedy), it flies!!!

Thankyou to all who helped, just as a last question; will having the sio2pc usb version interface and ape 3.0.2 software allow me to transfer files both ways, to and from the pc?

Thankyou to all who helped, just as a last question; will having the sio2pc usb version interface and ape 3.0.2 software allow me to transfer files both ways, to and from the pc?

Yes, that is and much more.

I recently purchased the SIO2PC interface from Atarimax. The APE software is shareware and can be used just fine as it is. The registered version gives some nice added functions though. It really eliminates the need for a disk drive at all since it lets your Atari access Atari disk images stored on your PC as though it was an Atari Disk Drive.

One of the best purchases for my vintage computer collection I have ever made and the fella at Atarimax is an honorable vendor.