IGNORED

New prototype found for Cabbage Patch

VonGuard

:idea: After level 30 or so, the game just repeats the screens.

Ahh I expected as much, but I couldn't get past level 27. Thanks for confirming this.

I made it to scene 27 too. I still think 26 is one of the hardest.

I can't get past scene 27. That fire along with the platforms is rough.

Tempest

:idea: After level 30 or so, the game just repeats the screens.

Ahh I expected as much, but I couldn't get past level 27. Thanks for confirming this.

I couldn't get anywhere near that far. I'm used to playing the CV version....this game is considerably harder, mainly due to the physics being completely different. It's a very nice game though. I have to confess, I had very low expectations for this game and it has far exceeded what I imagined. It's really a shame this was never released.

I should mention that in the CV version, you can go left instead of right (just like Pitfall!), whereas that is not possible in this version.

As far as the programming, this should leave no doubt...

Ed Temple programmed Cabbage Patch for Atari 2600, not me. Hope they can correct the blog.

Thx

Ed English

I can't get past scene 27. That fire along with the platforms is rough.
True.

It's based on trial & error.

As you can see, I suffered from that too on level 65.

The branch from the Colecovision version does not appear on the VCS version.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

What screen shot are you refering to?

http://blog.gism.net/2008/04/26/what-is-dragon-80/

So is it possible to get past the broken skill selection screen? The screenshot shown is running on the Virtual ColecoVision emulator - so is this actually a screenshot from the Dragon 80 prototype?

Also, I'm confused why some are saying that this is Dragonslayer and that the Adam game movie linked to in this thread is of Dragonslayer - it's not - it's Dragon's Lair!!

Yes, he made a mistake with that one.

It's defenitely Dragon's Lair.

BTW:

I remember playing Cabbage Patch Kids back in the eighties, but instead of a girl the main character was a boy.

After some digging I found the game:

post-6203-1209394027_thumb.png

It's Athletic Land on the MSX.

8)

What screen shot are you refering to?

http://blog.gism.net/2008/04/26/what-is-dragon-80/

So is it possible to get past the broken skill selection screen? The screenshot shown is running on the Virtual ColecoVision emulator - so is this actually a screenshot from the Dragon 80 prototype?

Also, I'm confused why some are saying that this is Dragonslayer and that the Adam game movie linked to in this thread is of Dragonslayer - it's not - it's Dragon's Lair!!

Try it in MEKA you'll see the option screen but you'll not be able to play... :ponder:

In VColeco you don't see the option screen but you can play the game...

So on the "real" thing... :?:

I remember playing Cabbage Patch Kids back in the eighties, but instead of a girl the main character was a boy.

After some digging I found the game...

Yup...I played it as well. It was available on Konami Antiques: MSX Collection for the Sega Saturn.

Edited by PingvinBlueJeans

Yes, he made a mistake with that one.

It's defenitely Dragon's Lair.

BTW:

After some digging I found the game:

Athletic_20Land_20_J__256.png

8)

If you're scratching your head as to how someone could create a game based on a line of dolls, you're not alone. Dolls don't exactly inspire video games. However Coleco got around this by taking an existing game for the MSX line of computers called Athletic Land and adding the Cabbage Patch Kids into the game. Since the MSX computer was never released in the US, people were none the wiser. This is also why a game that was supposedly aimed at children seems so damn hard.

Doesn't anyone read my reviews anymore? :( :D

Tempest

If you're scratching your head as to how someone could create a game based on a line of dolls, you're not alone. Dolls don't exactly inspire video games. However Coleco got around this by taking an existing game for the MSX line of computers called Athletic Land and adding the Cabbage Patch Kids into the game. Since the MSX computer was never released in the US, people were none the wiser. This is also why a game that was supposedly aimed at children seems so damn hard.

Doesn't anyone read my reviews anymore? :( :D

Yes, but I didn't make the connection with my memory of the boy version.

I thought it was a selectable option on the Cabbage Patch Kids version (not unlike Ghost manor).

Sorry, Tempest.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Kind of shoots down the "Coleco wrote crap for the 2600 deliberately" conspiracy, huh?

There was no such conspiracy. Former Coleco designer Paul Jaquays addressed this in issue #9 of ColecoNation...

http://www.coleconation.com/060607.html

I wish people would stop repeating this rumor. It would never have made sense on any level, nor would Coleco have been able to do it, since pretty much all of the 2600 stuff was contracted out.

More interesting stuff from CloneSpy.

About 65% of the code contained in the first version (cbpark0) can be also found in Mr. Do! (and only 9% vice versa). Similar ratios exist for Looping (53%/10%).

So, the first version was taylored together using a few routines from Mr.Do! and Looping.

Does anybody have a Hi-Res scan of this? ;)

That is indeed one hell of a beautiful looking game for its time ;)

Kind of shoots down the "Coleco wrote crap for the 2600 deliberately" conspiracy, huh?

I was actually talking about the Colecovision screen shot ;)

There was no such conspiracy. Former Coleco designer Paul Jaquays addressed this in issue #9 of ColecoNation...

http://www.coleconation.com/060607.html

I wish people would stop repeating this rumor. It would never have made sense on any level, nor would Coleco have been able to do it, since pretty much all of the 2600 stuff was contracted out.

Personally I think this rumor was started because of the 2600 version of Donkey Kong. 2600 Donkey Kong had the same problem Pac-man did. The programmers were just not given enough memory to do a decent version of the game. Then when people compared it to the Colecovision version they they thought it was delibertly made poorly to make the Colecovision version look even better.

Allan

Personally I think this rumor was started because of the 2600 version of Donkey Kong. 2600 Donkey Kong had the same problem Pac-man did. The programmers were just not given enough memory to do a decent version of the game. Then when people compared it to the Colecovision version they they thought it was delibertly made poorly to make the Colecovision version look even better.

Another reason why some of the 2600 Coleco titles turned out rather poorly was that Coleco was supposedly a real bitch to develop for, and they had wildly unrealistic expectations. I was told that after CommaVid got the contract for 2600 Venture, Joseph Biel was given only 3-4 weeks to deliver a playable prototype.

It's a real pity that this game wasn't released when the Cabbage Patch Kids were current. It's a well thought out game that plays nicely, and CPK stuff was like gold dust for a while.

As others have said, it is great to see the development of the game progressing. This really was an amazing find, and VonGuard has done the community a great service by handling this so well. A pint or two will be waiting for you in Scotland, sir!

All you had to do before this game was uncovered was to fire up something like Time Pilot for proof that Coleco wasn't intentionally trying to cripple their 2600 games. That's one of the 2600's greatest titles in my opinion.

Anyways, back to the topic. Thanks to the person that discovered this and shared it with everyone, and the person that dumped the cartridge for him.