IGNORED

The Wii is a fad argument

DracIsBack

Far better than the previous generation of brown graphics, tasteless content, and repetitive first-person shooters. 2002-2004 was an absolutely SUFFOCATING era of gaming. I can't count the number of times that I went to the local video rental store and found nothing but Grand Theft Auto and its offspring waiting for me there. When the Wii and DS steamrolled over that dark period of gaming, it was like the destruction of the Berlin Wall, America's victory in World War II, and the emancipation of the slaves all rolled into one for me. I would never go back to the days when Sony was calling the shots and anyone who dared offer something new and different was driven out of business, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Hey, Working Designs got what they deserved. They had their noses so far up Sony's ass they were probably able to tell what they had for dinner. And it took them forever to release games. Hell, look how long they dicked around with the Arc The Lad collection. Stubborn and inflexible companies don't stick around for long. :roll:

Nintendo created crack for children called Pokemon. Pokemon saved the Gameboy, and then Gameboy saved Nintendo.

Not sure I follow that. All Nintendo consoles except virtual boy were profitable. Yes, the PS1 and PS2 clobbered the N64 and GameCube. At the same time, the industry was big enough to support multiple consoles and Nintendo made a bunch of money on them as well.

Nintendo created crack for children called Pokemon. Pokemon saved the Gameboy, and then Gameboy saved Nintendo.

Not sure I follow that. All Nintendo consoles except virtual boy were profitable. Yes, the PS1 and PS2 clobbered the N64 and GameCube. At the same time, the industry was big enough to support multiple consoles and Nintendo made a bunch of money on them as well.

Not only that, Gameboy was never in any danger of going anywhere- it's been Nintendo's most solid cash cow since the original DMG model hit the shelves.

Hey, Working Designs got what they deserved. They had their noses so far up Sony's ass they were probably able to tell what they had for dinner. And it took them forever to release games. Hell, look how long they dicked around with the Arc The Lad collection. Stubborn and inflexible companies don't stick around for long. :roll:

Oddly enough, nowadays Atlus does exactly what Working Designs did. The difference is they keep a schedule and put out more than one product every 3-4 years.

I love my Lunar, Raystorm, and Arc the Lad, and Growlanser as much as the next WD fan, but the simple fact is they went out of business because they would not deliver product, because they'd delay a game by a year because they were waiting for some throwaway trinket to toss in the box.

Nintendo was having a hard time in the early 90's. Their IPs were weak and stale (sounds familiar), the Gameboy was surviving off the success of Tetris. Things were tough enough to put Gunpei Yokoi into the deepest dungeon of Nintendo HQ after the Virtual Boy debacle. Nintendo has been a master of finding a new market to revive their popularity. The first time they simply got Gamers to buy games again in 1985, then with Pokemon for children, and now they tapped into non gamers. In 4 years when everyone hates and laughs at Nintendo again, it will be interesting to see what market they tap into next.

Oddly enough, nowadays Atlus does exactly what Working Designs did. The difference is they keep a schedule and put out more than one product every 3-4 years.

I love my Lunar, Raystorm, and Arc the Lad, and Growlanser as much as the next WD fan, but the simple fact is they went out of business because they would not deliver product, because they'd delay a game by a year because they were waiting for some throwaway trinket to toss in the box.

Atlus is exactly the company I compare Working Designs to. Don't forget Atlus published games on the GBA as well as the PS2. And it looks like they will publish on all current-gen consoles this time around. Working Designs was going to stick with the PS2, no matter what. And it ended up putting them under.

Atlus is exactly the company I compare Working Designs to. Don't forget Atlus published games on the GBA as well as the PS2. And it looks like they will publish on all current-gen consoles this time around. Working Designs was going to stick with the PS2, no matter what. And it ended up putting them under.

I don't think it was because WD stuck to the PS2. It was the fact they didn't publish anything. According to Wikipedia, they only released 3 PS2 games: Silpheed, Gungriffon Blaze, and Growlanser Generations.

Their death coincides with the rise of Atlus, and I think that's telling. Both did the same things, except Atlus did those things on time.

Far better than the previous generation of brown graphics, tasteless content, and repetitive first-person shooters. 2002-2004 was an absolutely SUFFOCATING era of gaming. I can't count the number of times that I went to the local video rental store and found nothing but Grand Theft Auto and its offspring waiting for me there. When the Wii and DS steamrolled over that dark period of gaming, it was like the destruction of the Berlin Wall, America's victory in World War II, and the emancipation of the slaves all rolled into one for me. I would never go back to the days when Sony was calling the shots and anyone who dared offer something new and different was driven out of business, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Working Designs got what they deserved but let's be sure to get some of the facts straight. Let's take a step further back with some of their other ports for older systems. Lunar for SegaCD for instance. A VERY highly anticipated game and nobody really knew about it's publishing delays. But let's look at how their tweaking marred a game. The Bill Clinton jokes come to mind. Now how does a fantasy world know anything about Bill Clinton? What does Bill Clinton have to do with an RPG anyway? Little "gems" like that mar the quality that they put forth in every release they did. Who cares about the glossy and embossed manuals. Who cares about the BEYOND awesome silk screening on the CDs. Who cares about the (at that point) excellent voice acting talent that helped elevate every single one of their games above everyone elses when their take on real world topics are sprawled in their titles. Comapnies like them are celebrated and hated by many and most of them the same people. Now if a another wants to try again, I'm all for it. Just learn from their mistakes.

But really talking about on-topic stuff... I've only got a Wii. Those that are hating it for not being able to play 1 or 2 player games? You aren't buying the right games. I've been playing the crap out of RE4. So has my wife. We both play Wii Sports. (Got Wii Play for the second controller... We thought it was a good deal.) Rampage is a good game for the 2 of us. My kid plays it like crazy. We are all always playing Guitar Hero 3 like mofos too. PS3 doesn't cater to me, Sega dis out of the console business, I hate M$ and moreover there's too much failure with the 360. I'd love to get one solely for Gears of War and Rock Band but I don't want to be without if I red ring it.

Edited by dalum

This is what annoys me about Nintendo haters. They can take even a success from the company and spin it in a negative way. "Hmm... how do I completely invalidate a series of games that were a huge hit Nintendo, making millions of dollars? I know... I'll call it crack for children! That way, I can make it sound like Pokemon has no merit as a game, AND give people the impression that Nintendo is poisoning children! I'm a genius! As a reward, I'm going to work on that 'beat fifty hookers' achievement in Grand Theft Auto IV..."

Not only is your observation insulting and asinine, it's completely incorrect. The GameBoy was making Nintendo tons of money years before Pokemon came into the picture... nine years before Pokemon was released in the United States, as a matter of fact. There's no question that Pokemon was a big revenue earner for Nintendo in the 21st century, but the GameBoy thrived without it for nearly a decade. Get your facts straight.

Naysayer’s have been ridiculing the Nintendo WII since Nintendo announced it to the public. The Nintendo WII is far from being a fad; you still can’t find them in retail stores today. The Nintendo WII may not produce the best-looking games but what it does offer is revolutionary. The wireless remote technology has placed gaming in the hands of average people who otherwise wouldn't touch a video game system. How can you turn a blind eye to the facts? Fads usually don’t last this long.

Edited by retrogeek

Fads usually don’t last this long.

How soon does something have to die before it's officially a fad? Here's a list of fads from the 1980s:

http://people.howstuffworks.com/8-awesome-...f-the-1980s.htm

After looking at that list, I'm still not clear about how long a fad can last. What is considered a short time? A month, a year, 10 years? When 50,000 years pass by, will something that was popular for 100 years be considered a fad?

Nintendo was having a hard time in the early 90's. Their IPs were weak and stale (sounds familiar), the Gameboy was surviving off the success of Tetris.

They also had the Super NES and its games, which were finally fulling ahead of the Genesis. The Donkey Kong Country series made Nintendo a fortune and pulled the Super NES to # 1 in thw 16-bit race.

Edited by DracIsBack

So I guess the question of whether Wii is a fad depends on one's own definition of what a "fad" is.

My view is that's fads are typically short lived things (like a pet rock). Some game developers and companies have taken this stance on the Wii ... that interest will wane quickly, though so far, it hasn't.

Fads usually don’t last this long.

How soon does something have to die before it's officially a fad? Here's a list of fads from the 1980s:

http://people.howstuffworks.com/8-awesome-...f-the-1980s.htm

After looking at that list, I'm still not clear about how long a fad can last. What is considered a short time? A month, a year, 10 years? When 50,000 years pass by, will something that was popular for 100 years be considered a fad?

You raise a really good point... I suppose there is no true way to measure the longevity of a fad. If you want to be analytical about things you could say that anything -- whether it is the Wii or the Iphone -- can be measured by its availability. When the iPhones first launched you couldn't find them anywhere. Once the buzz surrounding its technology died down -- and when everyone finally understood what the IPhone really was -- people lost interest quickly and the phones became readily available everywhere (in my area anyway). Would this scenario be considered a fad? Yes, it most certainly would!

This is just my take on things, of course, but what I get from this thread is that interest in the WII still continues despite being over a year old. Is it a fad? Possibly, but interest in the system continues to grow even today. A lot of fads seem to die out quickly, but again you can't give it a projected date. Plus, if you want to get technical, just about everything in the video game industry can be considered a fad to some extent

Edited by retrogeek

How soon does something have to die before it's officially a fad?

Here's the thing, you'll never see the Wii die off like the pet rock because it's only a fad for many of the (before purchasing the Wii) non-gamer owners that bought it for Wii Sports and not to support the console. There are millions of legitimate gamers that own the Wii, just like owned the Gamecube and they'll go out and buy decent games like Metroid and Williams Pinball. They actually bought a videogame system to buy and play the latest video games...not just something to break out when Aunt Selma comes over or to turn on to get some excercise.

Pokémon was a big fad. It is still played by tons of kids (and not only) but it isn't as big as it was, at least in publicity.

Wii....maybe.....I hate Wii Fit anyway, it's an insult to many gamers.

I like Nintendo and have their consoles up to GCN but I don't know if I will buy a Wii. When it comes down to games most are made by Nintendo (not that it is a bad thing) and I feel like there isn't sufficient variety of games.

What they are doing now is unacceptable: Mario [insert sport here], Link's Crossbow Training, PS2 like graphics (I know they aren't everything but it is one of the things I expect to be better with a new console), Wii Play, Fit and Sports, region-locked VC console games and Friend Codes.

Nintendo, put some time to develop real games like Super Mario Galaxy and get someone to release more non-party games on your platform!

Edited by Atari_kid