IGNORED

rude to ask for feedback?

adventuregirl

Do you think its rude to ask for feedback on ebay? I recently registered under a second name, and have e-mailed a couple of sellers asking for their feedback when I haven't gotten it but have left mine. (I want my star, damnit!) I just say something like,

"I received the beautiful lot of dryer lint today, thank you for your fast shipping. I have left you positive feedback, and would appreciate you leaving positive feedback if you are satisfied with the outcome of this transaction. Thanks."

I did this for my first account and people always left it after I asked. However, I was reading today on the ebay chat boards that some people think it is always rude to ask for feedback. Is this common knowledge and I just have no ebay social skills? :?

You're right, it should just be common knowledge, and also a courtesy...but some people for some reason do not leave feedback...I often ask for it from parties who fail to leave it for me...as far as your way of asking...that is pretty much what I say in my emails...I tend to avoid the LEAVE FEEDBACK OR DIE approach...either way, you're not happy because you don't get feedback, or someone is offended because you ask...personally, I'd rather be happy :)

Dave

Well, I learned the hard way after many years of eBaying that leaving feedback is VOLUNTARY. Check it out. Says so right there on the site. So, although it's indeed asshole-ish and it isn't nice, no one has to ever leave feedback. Hint all you want or need to. But if they don't feel like posting feedback, you don't get any.

Sniderman

Feedback of 440, but has left 685...

your request for feedback sounds polite and hopefully will remind lazy sellers to leave you some feedback. I'm finding more and more big sellers these days wait until 1 day a month to leave all their feedback so maybe you are just on the wrong end of the waiting line.

Without any reminders I think I've been lucky and 65 out of 69 sellers have left feedback for me. But some have waited 1 or 2 months to post it.

I always leave positive feedback when someone pays me for an item that I am selling and when I ship it to them, I let them know that I left them positive feedback and please provide me with positive feedback as well when they receive the item. I don't always get it but it is voluntary.

I think feedback is really important when you first start on ebay. Once you get to like 50 positives, it shows that you are not out to screw anyone. I like the new way of doing feedback where you see all your outstanding feedbacks. When I first started, you had to do it one at a time.

I also find that some people do feedback in bunches. I have received feedback for transactions that were months old.

Once I pay the person, I always ask them kindly if they would leave feedback for me. Hey, I paid them right away, and that's something to be thankful for.

But I can understand the point about some people wait until one day a month to do it. As long as you do it.

There's really no excuse :x for not leaving feedback in my book.

My .02

Generally I try to leave feedback on all the deals I do... and just ask for the other person (if the seller) to leave it for me if they haven't already done so by the time I get the item. Then I just wait and see. Might take a day, a week, or in a couple of cases 2 months (I think they batch the feedbacks!), but most people have left it for me...

Do you think its rude to ask for feedback on ebay? I recently registered under a second name, and have e-mailed a couple of sellers asking for their feedback when I haven't gotten it but have left mine. (I want my star, damnit!) I just say something like,

"I received the beautiful lot of dryer lint today, thank you for your fast shipping. I have left you positive feedback, and would appreciate you leaving positive feedback if you are satisfied with the outcome of this transaction. Thanks."

I did this for my first account and people always left it after I asked. However, I was reading today on the ebay chat boards that some people think it is always rude to ask for feedback.  Is this common knowledge and I just have no ebay social skills? :?

I don't think you're being rude at all. The way you word it is very polite. I must admit I am one of those people that everyone is complaining about. I forget quite often to leave feedback :ponder:

Yeah, I've had some people just never leave it. Whatever, I haven't left it myself a couple of times in situations where the seller screwed up so bad I just couldn't leave a positive...but was so darn nice I couldn't leave anything less than that...I'm a softy.

Anyway, I guess I just never thought it was rude to ask once, politely, for feedback if I hadn't gotten it, but these people seemed really put out by that. Maybe if you wait until the end of the month it gets really annoying to get a lot of e-mails about it.

Well I'm a person who leaves fb maybe once a month. If I'm not too busy, I'll try and get it done sooner than that. Since I have so many transactions (right now maybe 40-50 per month), I like to do them in batches.

Asking for a feedback isn't a bad thing. You may want to drop a sentence in there saying "my feedback is low and I can really use the feedback at this time to show that I'm a honest seller (if you are selling) or quick with payment (if you are buying)."

My feedback as a seller is one of 3 positives. I don't believe in neutrals. Negatives are usually only left on bidders who already have a negative. Here are my responses for positives though.

Payment within 3 days: "Instant payment. Highest recommedations!"

Payment 3-10 days: "Fast payment. Highly recommended!"

Payment anytime after: "Timely payment. Recommended."

The instant payments are usually for the online payment with billpoint or paypal.

Hope this helps.

Phil

PS: I've left over 1400 feedbacks so far and received only 940, so not everyone will leave fb. I also do not ask for feedback, but my rating is high enough and good enough that I don't need to.

One thing is that I don't like to leave feedback for 30 days after an auction closes and the buyer pays by paypal. For 30 days the buyer can turn into a pain and try to reverse charges thru paypal even tho the item was delivered. I used to leave feedback immediately after payment but then I had a charge reversed and had no recourse. I shipped the item "to his sisters house" as a favor since he had 40 + and paypal reversed for him, and then he left me a negative :x :x :x Had to ditch that ebay account but it only had 60, lesson learned. All this on a $7 item. If I don't leave feedback after 30 days then a reminder would be no problem and not appear rude to me.

I usually post feedback for my auctions every 2 weeks. Apparently this wasn't fast enough for on buyer. He actually threatened to leave me negative feedback because I hadn't left him anything yet. He had nothing to complain about the transaction was great. He got the item quickly and I kept him informed through each step. I wonder what he would have put. What an ass.