IGNORED

CGE Snow White/Basketball

JCroniger

Are they still available?  The art work on the boxes looks great!  I'd like to get one of each, if I could.

Yes, there are still copies available. We brought many copies home with us to sell through AtariAge. I'll be unloading and unpacking the van today and making an accounting of what we have left to sell and will make an announcement soon.

..Al

It surprises me how someone would be willing to pay $45 for a game that's unplayable, and only 30% complete. I see collecting value, and the box art/manuals were very well done, but for $45, I'd rather spend my money on a well-developed finalized homebrew. Anyhoo, just my 2cents.

So, if you did buy Snow White, why did you?

Thanks,

-John K. Harvey

Thomas what version do you have? The version released at CGE only has one playable screen...and clearly stated on the box and at the show booth that it was only 30% complete...

Personally I didn't pick up a copy of Snow White since it was more or less unplayable other than the one screen. I spent that extra money grabbing up the actual official last working Marble Craze at Paul's booth. I know cause I had to have them hide it under the table as I ran down to the ATM to get more money for it!!!...

Anyway, Thomas besides the one playable screen, why else do you think Snow White is more complete? RSBasketball is about 90% complete and is pretty much a very playable game. But Snow White?!

Actually I think Marc was being a bit conservative with that number. There are three somewhat playable screens. Yes the first screen is the only one that seems complete, but there is a fair bit of gameplay to the River and Forest screens. I'd say Snow White was more like 50% complete since I think all three screens that the game was going to have are present (Sorcerer's Apprentice only had three), and just needed some more gameplay added and some major debugging.

I'm in the process of tracking down Greg Easter, if I find him I'll let you know what he has to say about the game.

Tempest

It surprises me how someone would be willing to pay $45 for a game that's unplayable, and only 30% complete.  I see collecting value, and the box art/manuals were very well done, but for $45, I'd rather spend my money on a well-developed finalized homebrew.  Anyhoo, just my 2cents.

So, if you did buy Snow White, why did you?

Thanks,

-John K. Harvey

I will buy them. The boxes look great, and complete with manual. :)

I like Disney cartoon movies, so I think I will like Snow White. And I like Prototypes and not released games. So I will buy them and put them on my Prototype Page (I know, this are only NEW RELEASES, but I count them half as Prototype too). :D

I would say both games are far more complete than 30% (~80%-90%). Both are completely playable and 'just' miss some fine tuning, debugging and (play)testing.

I have read somewhere (I think here on AtariAge or CGE site), that Snow White is a very early version. So maybe not more then 30% complete. But the RealSports Basketball seems near complete. :D

I have to know.

2600.com released Snow White and Basketball, right?

If they did, are the boxes and instructions improved over Bugs Bunny. I went to Phily Classic pumped up and planned to purchase Bugs Bunny but after I saw the poor quality box and instructions I lost all interest.

Adam

Thomas what version do you have?  The version released at CGE only has one playable screen...and clearly stated on the box and at the show booth that it was only 30% complete...

Snow White has three playable screens. I think the problem is, that nobody (except me ;) ) found out, how to play the second one and to get to the third.

Ok, I'll tell you the secret now: Do not move left or right, just go down. Easy, isn't it? :D

Moin, Moin,

I think the Re-Releases are all worth collecting if they are this nice like the BB, RSBB, Combat 2, SW also the Holey Moley looks great ... :D

Personally i like it more to look at the Box of a game which is standing on the shelf facing me every time i went by ... ;)

instead of looking on a blank proto cart which will get dusty on the shelf ...

:yawn: ;)

It's not a Real Proto buts its Nice to collect ...

greetings

Tom

Yeah, but what about playability? A dusty cart that's awesome to play (like a proto Save Mary) is well worth it. You can only look at a box, not do anything with it. I guess it depends if you're going for the museum look, or the experience. Something like Snow White-- if it's no fun, what's the point? Personally, I'd rather spend my money on Thrust and Marble Craze, which are awesome games.

Thanks,

-John K. Harvey

It may be no fun to you, but to a proto hound like myself it's fascinating...

Tempest

I like it too more, to own a 100% Real Prototype.

But when there are only 1 exist, or they are only get for high prices I will buy them with lable, and as New Releases. :D

But the Lables and Boxes look very great. So I would buy them too only for the labes.

I think the Re-Releases are all worth collecting if they are this nice like the BB, RSBB, Combat 2, SW also the Holey Moley looks great ...  

I love the re-releases, because they give us an idea of what might have been, and they show the love and effort the makers put into (re)creating them.

However, as to their collecting value, I think it's null. They are artificially and consciously created rarities. Very cool to have, but in a league of their own. Same thing as why I would never call Thrust the best Atari 2600 game ever (sorry Thomas ;)): the two (old and new) should just not be compared.

The only artificial rarity that I think is really collectable is Cubicolor :)

Cheers,

Marco

Same thing as why I would never call Thrust the best Atari 2600 game ever (sorry Thomas ;)): the two (old and new) should just not be compared.

Agreed. Today many things have become a bit easier (better programming, testing and debugging tools). And we know most of the programming tricks already.

I can live with 'best new one'. ;)