IGNORED

5200 Tempest WIP screenshots!

Dutchman2000

Very nice. Yea I didn't expect to see anything that different than the original prototype since most of what wasn't finished were controls and some of the weapons. Most of the graphics were already there. Still looks great. I can't wait.

Allan

Nice. Weren't there also some YouTube videos or something?

Please tell me there will be a better character set used for the score etc.

The only things we are completing is the gameplay, enemies and so on. The fonts will remain the same.

I think that was a different WIP for the 8bit Atari's

I think that was a different WIP for the 8bit Atari's

Not unless it was a clone being made by another company. Tempest was being developed on the 5200 and was then going to be ported to the Atari 8-bit. There was no seperate Tempest being developed for the 8-bits.

Tempest

The only things we are completing is the gameplay, enemies and so on. The fonts will remain the same.

That's too bad. It seems the fonts could be changed to look more like the vector fonts by extending ANTIC E for the entire screen. But that's minor. I can't wait for the final release.

(Twice Upon A Time?)

So far, it looks promising. I especially like the way you are trying to keep the vector look; CV Space Fury and Omega Race were graphics disasters, although Star Trek was good.

Tempest was one of those games that NEEDED a home version. It was really stupid of Atari not to release one, esp. for the 5200 (could they have done so for the 7800, or was the game the property of Atari Games?).

Out of curiosity- how would a CV version look?

Keep it up. The 5200 homebrew library is finally becoming something to look out for.

Tempest was one of those games that NEEDED a home version. It was really stupid of Atari not to release one, esp. for the 5200 (could they have done so for the 7800, or was the game the property of Atari Games?).

Memos say a 7800 version was in the works back in 84, but it was only at 15% or so.

Tempest

That's too bad. It seems the fonts could be changed to look more like the vector fonts by extending ANTIC E for the entire screen. But that's minor. I can't wait for the final release.

For the memory footprint they're targeting, there may not be enough RAM for a custom charset.

Of course, if there is enough RAM, not having a custom font is nigh inexcusable.

For the memory footprint they're targeting, there may not be enough RAM for a custom charset.

Of course, if there is enough RAM, not having a custom font is nigh inexcusable.

We are planning to use 32k, so RAM would not be an issue. Remember though that Keithen is trying to finish the game the way he would have back in 1984. This is HIS design and vision. I will suggest to him about changing the font, but that is the LEAST of our worries right now. If he decides to keep the font as is, that is the way it will be. Suggestions like this might make him decide NOT to finish it if you all are going to be so nit picky.

I assure you that the gameplay will make you forget about the font...

We are planning to use 32k, so RAM would not be an issue. Remember though that Keithen is trying to finish the game the way he would have back in 1984. This is HIS design and vision. I will suggest to him about changing the font, but that is the LEAST of our worries right now. If he decides to keep the font as is, that is the way it will be. Suggestions like this might make him decide NOT to finish it if you all are going to be so nit picky.

I assure you that the gameplay will make you forget about the font...

no picky. just want to buy. font? what font?

A proportional font done in Gr. 8, or 14 or 15 would look great.

Think soft-sprite type rendering here, and no need for buffering as you'd just be overwriting a known area each update.

So, that's only 10 characters needed to cover the score. Other stuff like the character strings for Score, High Score etc could just be stored as bitmaps.

A proportional font done in Gr. 8, or 14 or 15 would look great.

Oh good god. Quiet, you. Implementing proportional font rendering is an order of magnitude more complex and RAM-hungry than just slapping in one of the hundreds of existing character mode fonts.

Only being familiar with Commodore computers, I was able to achieve a "vector look" with letters and numbers on a game called "Vecktar" simply by using the custom characters trick- the computer read character shapes from a secured RAM location instead of the usual ROM location.

It wasn't at all complicated on the C-64- but I assume it is on an Atari? How does it work (please keep it simple for this "Atari Challenged!")?

I'm just trying to get an idea of what's going on here. You just program the game however you want! :P