IGNORED

5200 Tempest WIP screenshots!

Dutchman2000

(or finished as in the case of Super Pac-man)

I still think Super-Pacman is "unfinished" in the sense that the ghost's blue time is way too short.. but that's another gripe for another thread :lol:

I have a rom for the supposedly "final" version that I should post (I just need to clear it with the person who gave it to me). I never noticed anything about the blue time though. Everything seems fine to me in all the versions.

Tempest

I talked with Keithen about the font. At this point we will NOT be changing it. The main reason for this is he wants to finish the game and not take more time dealing with the font. He did say that back at Atari, the font was chosen due to ROM space. He had only 16k and could not waste any space. Of course now we have 32k but he doesn't want to spend the time on changing it. He wants the game to be as close as possible to his original vision that he would have completed back in 1984. I fully support this.

I actually prefer the original font. Most Atari-made 5200 arcade ports (Joust, Moon Patrol, Robotron, etc.) used it, and if this was the way Tempest was going to be as well.. then that's the one I want.

I fully agree! Tempest is a classic game and the 5200, for many of us, is a classic system. What better way to maintain the classic integrity than by completing it as he would have back then?

Keep it up, Keithen!

Here is a real question. How will the controller work with it? Trackball or joystick. Can we build a spinner based on the trackball?

2nd real question Will there be a XL/XE conversion?

The original 5200 controller really shines with this game. The faster you move the stick, the faster you spin around the tubes!

Trakball control is my preferred way of playing as it's the best thing next to an actual spinner. It works really well.

If someone can build a spinner control and send one to me I will be glad to add support for it.

No, at this point there will not be an XL/XE conversion. There is another group making Tempest Extreme for the XL/XE.

The original 5200 controller really shines with this game. The faster you move the stick, the faster you spin around the tubes!

Trakball control is my preferred way of playing as it's the best thing next to an actual spinner. It works really well.

If someone can build a spinner control and send one to me I will be glad to add support for it.

Looks like I will need to fix my 5200 just for it. I have not used it since most of the games are available on my XE

I have a rom for the supposedly "final" version that I should post (I just need to clear it with the person who gave it to me). I never noticed anything about the blue time though. Everything seems fine to me in all the versions.

Tempest

Does the "final" version have the destroyed energizer bug fixed?

Does the "final" version have the destroyed energizer bug fixed?

I think they're talking about Super Pac-Man, but that bug you're describing is found in Jr. Pac-Man.

Yea, I wish that was fixed in Jr. Pac-man. It's hard to enjoy the game when you know that on any screen it will come up and you won't be able to get past that screen. Hopefully we will find the source to this one day. It's such a great game.

Allan

• 3 months later...

How is Tempest coming along? It has been 4 months since the last post on this thread and I was just wondering when the game will be finished and available for sale.

BTW, I have no problem with the font, after all, he wrote the program back over 20 years ago, let him finish it his way, either way, I'll be one of the first to buy one. As a life-long Atari 5200 owner (Serial no. 141101, USA-made 4-port) since 1983 when I got mine for my 17th birthday, I have been very anxious to break it out and play it as diligently as I did back in the day.

Let us all know when the game is finished, and don't give in to any pressure, just do it the way it was intended to, another Atari 5200 original, and, another classic.

This game looks really nice so far. Font schmont aside. I don't care if it looks like as it's made in 1984 or 2008. Either way I'd love it just as much! I don't really care if it's "meant to look like it's been created in 1984" or not. I'm just interested in a quality game, reasonably close to the arcade version as possible, and if you want to add some kind of 5200 only mode in which other levels are included I'd love that too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
But seriously...

Kudos to those working on this...I know it's something a lot of people have been waiting a long time for. As long as the control is better than Asteroids, I think it will be cool :)

so are there any new updates on this project, it's been a while since last update. any possibility of having it done this year still, or are we looking more like 2015?

i think from the screen shots it looks typical of the other 5200 games that being its not meant to be an arcade exact but a console version

so in that way it is great in that it blends with centipede,digdug,berzerk

would like more options like easy,normal,hard and say 3,5,7 lives

since we dont have the ability to put more quarters in that is the trade off