IGNORED

Where to buy Atari computers?

Atari2008

Hey everyone,

I'm fairly new to the Atari computer scene but I've been reading about how great Atari computer games are, and I'm looking to get one. I'm looking for an Atari 800xl since it seems to be the most popular, and I wanted to know where do most people go to purchase their Atari computer? I've seen a few on eBay but a lot of the are just the computer itself without the power supply or any hookups. I'm not sure if it makes sense to get a bare computer and purchase the power supply and TV hookups separately.

Thanks!

There are advantages to buying the power supply and tv hookups separately. Here is a tv hookup that is better than stock: http://cgi.ebay.com/Commodore-Atari-TI-99-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Also, some of the stock power supplies can damage the computer if it goes bad.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...+power+supplies

The Power supply for the 800XL is a bit odd in that it is a DIN connector, so not easy to buy any old PSU unless you can do a bit of soldering and follow a pin out.

Other than that Best Electronics or B + C sell new Power Supplys (and new 800XLs)

I'm looking for an Atari 800xl since it seems to be the most popular, and I wanted to know where do most people go to purchase their Atari computer?

Tough to find in departments these days ;)

The last two I've purchased came from ebay. That's probably the best place to look but you can get new and refurbished atari computers from B&C.

FWIW, the two computers I purchased were XEGS. Both came complete and had great composite video output without modification. Also, I've only ever had one power supply fail on me (from a 1050). These things are still running after 30 years, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting aftermarket units.

If you have a PC with USB and a TV with composite input (RCA audio/video), an XEGS ($50 from B&C)with a maxflash cart ($40), SIO2PC ($60), and a decent joystick is a great starter kit. Steve may even ship you a cart with an image on it so you can get started right away.

Edited by WizWor

Wow...I didn't know I still had so many options left. :) Thank you for all of your responses. I've been a 2600 and 7800 user for quite some time now, and have been looking into a 5200 when I heard people say that an Atari 8-bit might be a better option so that got me curious. So is an Atari 8-bit computer a good way to round out a 2600/7800 collection? I'm looking for a platform that will have more than just different versions of the same games. I like the look of the Atari 800xl very sleek. Which of the Atari 8-bits tend to be most popular? Is a 600 just as good?

IMO the 8bit Atari's are much better to own than a 5200 (yes I do own a 5200!) There are MANY more games available for the 8bits, especially if you pare it up with at the least an SIO2PC interface.

The 600XL is one of my favorites ,I like it for its small footprint but you really need to upgrade the memory to 64k either by the external 1064 module or a simple internal RAM upgrade to make it fully 800XL compatible, just having 16K is a bit limiting.

In the USA the 600XL does not have a monitor port which may also put you off.

Most 800XLs need to have a small mod to use s-video output.

You can use your current 2600/7800 controllers

I would say that it is a very good addition to any Atari collection.

Let us know what you decide

added some links that may be useful

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...0atari&st=0

http://www.atarimania.com/faq.php

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...p;hl=best+atari

Edited by mimo

So is an Atari 8-bit computer a good way to round out a 2600/7800 collection? I'm looking for a platform that will have more than just different versions of the same games.

The Atari 8-bit computers have a much larger library of games. *Much* larger. There are many titles that the 2600 and 7800 didn't have, and couldn't have had. Check out Atarimania's 8-bit database for a glimpse.

If you stick to cartridges, you'll have a varied and interesting selection of games (and other software), but if you go for disks and cassettes too, you'll have a lifetime of new discoveries awaiting you.

As others have said, many games and other titles are available online, and an emulator or SIO2PC hardware will allow you to experience the majority of titles very easily. If you want to collect the original software, though, then you have an interesting challenge ahead - and welcome to a small but very enthusiastic coterie!

The 8-bit computers are a great choice for all the reasons mentioned above.

My favorite reasons for getting an Atari 8-bit computer:

They have so many great games,

so many, many, many games,

great sound,

nicer graphics than the 2600, yet still nicely retro,

many formats (disk, cartridge, cassette, Atari Max cables),

and you can use your 2600/7800 controllers.

You can't go wrong getting into the 8-bits.

Some vendors who sell Atari Computers--

B & C Computervisions

4 Jays

Video 61

Best Electronics

Bravo Sierra Computers

I've done business with both Video 61 and 4 Jays, and they were both excellent.

The others I have only read about on the internet.

Also, you could try the Marketplace Forums here on Atari Age. I've had some

luck finding th old 8-bits there (400 and 800).

I'm looking for an Atari 800xl since it seems to be the most popular, and I wanted to know where do most people go to purchase their Atari computer?

Tough to find in departments these days ;)

What...you mean I can't just go to Best Buy and pick one up? ;)

Wow, I hadn't realized there were so many options when it comes to places you can purhase an Atari computer from. Originally I was only going by what I saw on eBay and because I didn't see as much I was avoiding getting an Atari computer since I just assumed they were tough to find. Glad to see that I was wrong.

Thank you everyone for all the links, I look forward to acquainting myself with this piece of Atari gaming/computing history. I feel like I've discovered a hidden Atari treasure since the 8-bits have such a HUGE library. I look forward to joining the club, I can tell the enthusiasm.

Just be prepared after I do some research I'll probably have lots more questions...I'm not as well versed in early 80s computers as some folks on this forum. :)

This might be a good start to your Atari collection...

# ATARI 800XL KEYBOARD UNIT

# THE ATARI 1050 DUAL-DENSITY DISK DRIVE

# ATARI PRO-LINE SPACE AGE JOYSTICK (QUANTITY 2)

# ATARI 1027 PRINTER WITH ADAPTOR

# THE ATARI 1010 PROGRAM RECORDER

# ATARI 850 Interface Module

# ATARI 830 ACCOUSTIC MODEM

# ATARI CX85 Numeric Keypad

Plus loads of software and manuals.

I cannot say enough good things about Bruce and Cathy at B&C (www.myatari.com) and Brad at Best Electronics (www.best-electronics-ca.com). I often buy from both retailers. They can often cost a bit more than an ebay purchase, but what they sell is 100% new or professionally refurbished to like new condition.

Brad at Best has insanely fast shipping. I am on the east coast of the USA and often get packages from Best in California in just two days. He ships to me via USPS Priority mail and only charges the rates from the post office.

B&C is often a bit slower slower to ship, but my wife recently bought me a brand new 800XL from them that was a perfect as the day it left the factory in 1983.

I highly recommend shopping with either of these fine Atari dealers.

Fletch

Youreally can't go wrong getting into the 8bit computers. I decided to take the jump a couple weeks ago...and haven't looke back too much. This is what the 5200 tried to be I think. Just for the record...I have 3 of those, so it isn't 5200 hate.

16 games in my posession and counting!

I'm actually considering picking up a cassette drive/recorder. Not sure what games were released on that format, or any distinct advantages...but overall, this is a very fun Atari collecting sub-category.

I'll chime in as well, though there are some great links and suggestions in here already.

Atari 8 bits are an excellent alternative to a 5200, an XEGS sits nicely between the 2600 and 7800 in my gameroom. Being able to use the same joysticks on the 2600/8bit/7800 is a big plus for me, none of the hassles of getting 5200 joysticks up to snuff. That and the 5200 is just too big to fit on my shelf ;) Most 5200 games were also released as 8 bit cartridges; those that weren't are often available now in cartridge form via hacks or download images.

If you're just looking to get into cartridge gaming the XEGS is a great option because of the detachable keyboard. Most cartridge games don't require the keyboard anyways, and it's got more of a console look then any of the other 8 bits. If you're planning to get into disk or tape games then many like the 800xl; the 130xe has a decent following as well.

Edited by bones

I will just add the 8 bit series of computers is great to get into and that B&C is a great place to get stuff. While it's a bit pricey, it is in outstanding condition and they have good parts as well. A couple of years ago, I got an 800 off of Ebay which had a completely dead keyboard. The seller was very cool about it, gave me my money back and even said to keep the computer since he was just trying to get rid of it. I bought a new keyboard from B&C, followed their directions to replace it and now I have a fully functional 800. If you are just starting out, I would say to stick with your XL though, I only wanted an 800 to play MULE with more than two players.

If you have an Atari 130XE (or other Atari if you mod them) you can use the better s-video cable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atari-800-65XE-130XE-G...1742.m153.l1262

I just hacked a cable together tonight and played Star Raiders on my 40 inch LCD. Awesome !!! :D Now can someone point me in the right direction for instructions how to connect the missing signal to an 800XL monitor port? Then I can use my primary machine (a 32-in-1 256Kb 800XL) on that sucker too :)

Seriously if you don't have a monitor get or make an svideo cable. The quality improvement is fantastic.

Edited by spookt

I'm really impressed with all of the enthusiasm over the 8-bits. I've been looking for a while to get another pre-NES classic system but have shied away from many of the other systems due to the fact that they had various drawbacks (I won't name names) some with unreliable controllers others have hardware made with cheap parts. It's nice to see that the 8-bits have a lot of enthusiastic users and a very supportive community. I did begin sampling some of the games on Atarimania -- wow what a large library to choose from! I see that I will have many games to choose from for a long while since I like variety. I will probably get a unit from either Atarimax or B&C since I do like supporting merchants that still focus on Atari products, and I don't mind paying a slightly higher price for better service and a good product.

Are the 8-bits user-friendly? I don't really know anything about early computers so is gaming on them just as easy as firing up a 2600 or 7800? Also, is there any sort of pause feature on the games? I'm pretty sure that I'll stick to cartridges at least in the beginning, so it sounds like an XEGS (although I've read console isn't designed the best way and that the controller ports are hard to reach) or an 800xl would be my best bet?

Edited by Atari2008

Are the 8-bits user-friendly? I don't really know anything about early computers so is gaming on them just as easy as firing up a 2600 or 7800? Also, is there any sort of pause feature on the games? I'm pretty sure that I'll stick to cartridges at least in the beginning, so it sounds like an XEGS (although I've read console isn't designed the best way and that the controller ports are hard to reach) or an 800xl would be my best bet?

If you're using cartridges, the 8-bits are pretty user friendly. Big ol' Reset, Start, and Option buttons next to the keyboard, standard 2600 joystick/paddle port, and a cartridge port.

Many of the cartridge games have a pause feature, but not all do. Space bar is the typical pause "button" on them.

Yes, an XEGS or 800XL would be good units to start with.

Have fun! :)