IGNORED

Where to buy Atari computers?

Atari2008

Agreed, if you stick to carts then it is just like having a very powerful 2600 and an xegs would be perfect for this.If however you think you may want more in the future then I would suggest an 800XL, it takes up less space than an xegs+keyboard.

SIO2PC and ape is really useful, especially if you have a PC close to your Atari set up.There is a bit of learning, but APE for windose is pretty straight forward, SIO2SD or SIO2USB are not quite so easy to use imo, but very good if you dont want to have to use your pc plugged into your Atari every time you want to play a game.

Another alternative that is well worth the money is one of Atarimax's flash carts.You do need to have an SIO2PC interface, but you can flash many games onto one cart. Then just use the carts on screen menu to select any of the games you have flashed.When you get fed up/want to try different games than just re-flash the cart.

As a small side note:

If you are going to play any games that will use any keyboard functions or any kind...

the 800XL seems to have the most durable keyboard from what I have noticed. There are many keys that don't want to work on my 130XE (which seems a good system for games, 128K RAM from all my readings)... but ALL of them work on my 800XL, and it's the OLDER of the two units.