IGNORED

Next console?

here is my opinion.

I would go with either the 5200(400/800) or Intellivision.

Intellivision II I believe you can use different controllers, which is a plus, but the intelivision had some really good and really cool games.

I don't like the 7800 and don't recommend it because other than homebrew games, the 7800 exclusive games suck ass big time. If you already own a 2600 then there's no point to own a 7800 right now when you have much better systems as options. I've had a 7800 since I was 7, i'm 28 now, and since I've started collecting, it hasn't got any better, I just have more piece of crap games now then I did when I was 7.

No experience with the C64 so can't help you, mine just sits in the box, I've never hooked it up.

The last one I'd get is the 5200. It's a monstrosity that is expensive to ship and you'll immediately be required to replace the garbage controllers. It's really just an Atari 400 anyway. You can use good controllers with the 400 or 800 if you get one of those instead.

It's a monstrosity that is expensive to ship and you'll immediately be required to replace the garbage controllers. It's really just an Atari 400 anyway.

Same as above!

Geez people, some people really have trouble expressing things as opinions when they don't like something "ie. I thought the controllers weren't very good".

Amazing how many goddamn flame wars get started in forums because people can't seem to express opinions as opinions. Done steaming now!

Edited by DracIsBack

I'd go for the 5200 or 800. Something big and chunky to play with. The C64 is fun but getting the tapes and discs to load (after all this time) is a pain. I tend to use emulation for computers and the real thing as far as consoles are concerned.

Ok....I'm just pondering what my next console purchase should be...

Intellivision

or maybe a computer

C64

Gimme your opinions please!!

The most bang for your buck has gotta be either an Atari 8bit or Commodore 64 both systems have tons of great games and you can use a modern computer and cable to to instantly have the full library. I'm partial to the Atari. I think the 400 is a poor choice because it lacks composite output and would need a ram upgrade to play most games. Actually a 800xl or 130xe would be my choice. If you go Commodore 64 why not pick up a 128?

I would also go with the Intellivision. The Inty 2 is nice because the controllers are removable, except that IMHO they're significally worse than the stock controllers. You might try to find an Inty III which *I've heard* is the best of all worlds. My 2nd choice would be the 5200. I've actually played that a LOT more recently than my Inty, but that's probably because it's relatively new to me, and I've had an Inty for 25+ years. Inty games are mostly cheap and easy to find, and there are a lot of great ones.

One question, which consoles do you currently have? If you already have a couple Ataris you might want to go with the Inty because many of the best 5200/400/800 games (Missile Command, Pac Man, etc) are available elsewhere. I love my 5200, and it has that quirky/unique factor - games like Dreadnaught Factor, Space Dungeon, analog-controlled Missile Command. I think it's a fun system to play and collect for.

The c64 has a fantastic library, but I never see carts around. I also don't like having to swap carts in the back of the machine.

One question, which consoles do you currently have? If you already have a couple Ataris you might want to go with the Inty because many of the best 5200/400/800 games (Missile Command, Pac Man, etc) are available elsewhere. I love my 5200, and it has that quirky/unique factor - games like Dreadnaught Factor, Space Dungeon, analog-controlled Missile Command. I think it's a fun system to play and collect for.

I currently have a 2600, ColecoVision and Odyssey2. Plus various classic psone/ps2 gaming comps. I have a good representation of Atari coin-op games as a result.

I am leaning towards the INTV because of games unique to that system...like Microsurgeon and Beauty and the Beast.

other than homebrew games, the 7800 exclusive games suck ass big time.

In your opinion ... for some reason you have trouble with this concept.

dude, the poster specifically asked for opinions and isn't any question like this opinion? There is no such thing as pure fact when it comes to which is better than something, even a turd will have at least 1 fan somewhere that thinks it's great.

And when I have the games to back up my opinion, and the question is asked, yes I will give my opinion. When I have 20-30 some 7800 games and only 2 are worth playing, I am definitely going to suggest the other systems in question, and hell, I wouldn't even directly suggest the 5200 over the 400/800 what would be the point when the 400/800 can play most of the same games and more?

Edited by Atari5200

It's a monstrosity that is expensive to ship and you'll immediately be required to replace the garbage controllers. It's really just an Atari 400 anyway.

Same as above!

Geez people, some people really have trouble expressing things as opinions when they don't like something "ie. I thought the controllers weren't very good".

Amazing how many goddamn flame wars get started in forums because people can't seem to express opinions as opinions. Done steaming now!

and it's equally amazing that nobody in this thread was flame warring but you. 2 of the 3 statements are for the most part true, the controller issue being true for a lot of people, HammR25's post was a totally legitimate opinion.

While your at it, for us idiots, please define an opinion.

Edited by Atari5200

other than homebrew games, the 7800 exclusive games suck ass big time.

In your opinion ... for some reason you have trouble with this concept.

dude, the poster specifically asked for opinions and isn't any question like this opinion? There is no such thing as pure fact when it comes to which is better than something, even a turd will have at least 1 fan somewhere that thinks it's great.

And when I have the games to back up my opinion, and the question is asked, yes I will give my opinion. When I have 20-30 some 7800 games and only 2 are worth playing, I am definitely going to suggest the other systems in question, and hell, I wouldn't even directly suggest the 5200 over the 400/800 what would be the point when the 400/800 can play most of the same games and more?

I was just wondering is there any 5200 game that is exclusive to that platform? I'm pretty sure every game that wasn't a straight port from the Atari 400/800 to begin with was at some point coverted to run on the computer.\

The 7800 is a great choice for a few reasons, Utility- You can play both 2600 and 7800 games on it (with very few exceptions) which means you can also store away and protect that 2600 which is not getting any younger. Games- the 7800 library does have some titles that are great and some that are unique such as Food Fight,Midnight Mutants, Galaga,Ms.Pac Man etc....plus great homebrews!

The 5200 can be a solid choice too! great games! cool homebrews, yes it has some downsides console is enormous, trackball controller is big ..real big odd hook ups and less than desirable controllers, but with that said the Gold controller repair kit from Best solves the controller issue and the sheer size of the system will eventually be overlooked as it truly is a great system!

Intellivision this will collect dust. I have this system and quite a few games and when I can be bothered to hook it up it gets at best one evening of play. Don't get me wrong there are some really good games for it like the Advanced Dungeon and Dragon titles and other games like Beauty and the Beast or Space Battle and Utopia can be very interesting. My beef with this system would be the controllers first and foremost followed by the feeling that the console and its game have no "soul" I play the game and they are fun and pass the time but they seem "flat" where as with Atari the games can really pull you in and engage you. It's a great addition to my collection but sadly it does not get much use.

400/800 Ive always had fun with them as there is a great library of games and the computer aspect can be fun too I would probably lean more towards the 400 as I don't see them that often.

C64 every bit as good as my Atari's, great library, neat peripherals, good support still out there for it! It too is an all around solid choice with no real flaws that can think of.

Get the Intellivision. The CC3 is currently available for it. If you collect other systems first and later get the Intv, you might miss the current production run.

sorry...but what is the CC3?

Cuttle Cart 3 for the Intellivision

Edited by kroogur

Get the Intellivision. The CC3 is currently available for it. If you collect other systems first and later get the Intv, you might miss the current production run.

sorry...but what is the CC3?

http://schells.com/cc3.shtml

It's predecessor the Cuttle Cart 2 (CC2) went for the same price but took forever to sell out. Now it goes for over $400 on eBay so that's why he's saying to get one now.