IGNORED

Atari XEGS Info

What exactly do you want to know?

The system is essentially an Atari 65 XE 8-bit computer in a new case. The 65XE itself was a replacement for the old Atari 800 XL.

The thing has a console with a detachable keyboard, which is a different design than the other 8-bits. It plays nearly all cartridges and disks for any Atari 8-bit computer (some 400/800 ones have a bit of difficulty and it doesn't have 128K to play a few 130XE specific programs). Games, software and peripherals all run on it like every other Atari computer.

Hardware wise, it has the same 4 channel POKEY sound and the same GTIA graphics chip used in the Atari 5200 and most Atari 8-bit computers.

The system came with a light gun (which is pretty inaccurate, IMO), a detachable keyboard (which has a brutally short keyboard). and an Atari 2600 style CX40 joystick that is the same color as the system.

Software is FLIGHT SIMULATOR II (my vote for the worst pack-in in the history of video games) and a light gun game called BUG HUNT which is pretty inaccurate.

Also has some built in software - Atari BASIC, a self-test program and a built in copy of MISSILE COMMAND (then over eight years old).

There aren't a lot of "XE Game System" brand titles with the blue boxes, but the thing will play almost everything else out there for the Atari 8-bits. A lot of the XEGS titles are actually cartridge versions of games that were originally on disk or previously released on cartridge. The good news about the disc title is that the conversions tend to be pretty good compared because Atari didn't have to pay cheap ass dev houses to code.

I'd like to pick one of these up someday. I don't really have any interest in the computer aspects, but I think it would make a nice game system. I might be alone in this, but I've always liked the look of the console.

that's how my current one gets used. My 130XE died when I went off to college and I sold the XEGS I had at the time. I later missed the games and bought a new XEGS but didn't get all the peripherals I had previously (modem, XEP80, disk drives, printer, PR Connection, ComputerEyes) etc.

This one just plays carts. End of story.

The system is essentially an Atari 65 XE 8-bit computer in a new case. The 65XE itself was a replacement for the old Atari 800 XL.

600XL. The 800XL was replaced by the 130XE.

Except for the 1200xl, the line always came in pairs (one "lower" and one "higher" end):

400, 800

600XL, 800XL

65XE, 130XE

The thing has a console with a detachable keyboard, which is a different design than the other 8-bits. It plays nearly all cartridges and disks for any Atari 8-bit computer (some 400/800 ones have a bit of difficulty and it doesn't have 128K to play a few 130XE specific programs). Games, software and peripherals all run on it like every other Atari computer.

Also has some built in software - Atari BASIC, a self-test program and a built in copy of MISSILE COMMAND (then over eight years old).

While it was certainly "old" by market standards, it wasn't over eight years old age wise. The XEGS came out in '87, Missile Command hit the arcades in 1980 and the home market in '81.

I find myself interested in the Atari XEGS for some odd reason so can anyone give me info on this system and is games? Thanks one all all for any info on this. :)

Jboy - I almost always use my XEGS in the museum at the MGC every year, so you probably saw it and didn't realize it. I think this year was the first year I used an 800xl instead for a change (and to try out my 5 pin din to a/v cable). As everyone has stated, its a 65xe computer with os and cosmetic changes to make it modular.

It'll work on its own as a console, accepting the cartridges for use on the previous Atari 8-bit computers (or the small release of XE branded ones), and will default to Missile Command when no cartridge is plugged in.

When you plug the detachable keyboard in before turning it on, it enters "computer mode" and behaves like a standard Atari 65xe. There's also an SIO port in the console to use all the standard computer peripherals (drives, printers, etc.) when in this mode as well.

As was also mentioned, it comes with both audio and video outputs, besides the normal r/f output. Its got a small footprint, and its a great choice if you're interested in getting in to the 8-bit computer games but don't want the full computer setup - yet.

Edited by wgungfu

You know if Atari wanted to do something, they should have combine the 2600, 8-bit, and 7800 all into one system. Maybe have the 7800 include the Antic/GTIA chip set or have something emulate it and make a cartridge adapter for it. Also 7800 should have included the Pokey chip and that would have given 7800 a big leg up over the NES and SegaMS, 6 voices (2 TIA, 4 Pokey).

One problem was the 8-bit technology was approaching a decade in age when the XEGS hit the market and Atari did not have anything special over the existing 8-bit computers. Like extending its graphic abilities/sound abilities. This was meant to compete with the NES without TV ads?

Except for the 1200xl, the line always came in pairs (one "lower" and one "higher" end):

400, 800

600XL, 800XL

65XE, 130XE

While it was certainly "old" by market standards, it wasn't over eight years old age wise. The XEGS came out in '87, Missile Command hit the arcades in 1980 and the home market in '81.

I find myself interested in the Atari XEGS for some odd reason so can anyone give me info on this system and is games? Thanks one all all for any info on this. :)

Jboy - I almost always use my XEGS in the museum at the MGC every year, so you probably saw it and didn't realize it. I think this year was the first year I used an 800xl instead for a change (and to try out my 5 pin din to a/v cable). As everyone has stated, its a 65xe computer with os and cosmetic changes to make it modular.

It'll work on its own as a console, accepting the cartridges for use on the previous Atari 8-bit computers (or the small release of XE branded ones), and will default to Missile Command when no cartridge is plugged in.

When you plug the detachable keyboard in before turning it on, it enters "computer mode" and behaves like a standard Atari 65xe. There's also an SIO port in the console to use all the standard computer peripherals (drives, printers, etc.) when in this mode as well.

As was also mentioned, it comes with both audio and video outputs, besides the normal r/f output. Its got a small footprint, and its a great choice if you're interested in getting in to the 8-bit computer games but don't want the full computer setup - yet.

How does one obtain said 5-pin-din->A/V cable? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

--Timster--

Wgungfu this was what i was thinking.....Using it as a game console so i can play 8-bit Atari computer games with out having to get into the whole computer set-up.

Now my questions are if i were to pick one up on Ebay how much should one go for and can i play games on it with out the keyboard?

I can forgo the whole light gun thing to as i have no interest in it at all.

Wgungfu this was what i was thinking.....Using it as a game console so i can play 8-bit Atari computer games with out having to get into the whole computer set-up.

You can do the same thing with an 800xl, and it has the keyboard for games that need it. I think you would need the keyboard for Star Raiders, and that is a great game.

You know if Atari wanted to do something, they should have combine the 2600, 8-bit, and 7800 all into one system. Maybe have the 7800 include the Antic/GTIA chip set or have something emulate it and make a cartridge adapter for it. Also 7800 should have included the Pokey chip and that would have given 7800 a big leg up over the NES and SegaMS, 6 voices (2 TIA, 4 Pokey).

One problem was the 8-bit technology was approaching a decade in age when the XEGS hit the market and Atari did not have anything special over the existing 8-bit computers. Like extending its graphic abilities/sound abilities. This was meant to compete with the NES without TV ads?

Who would buy it? XEGS with flashcart is a great A8 platform. I always thought the A8 should have been backwards compatible with the VCS. If it had been, the Atari computer line would have had a huge base. Anyone ever emulated a 2600 on an A8? A maxflash cart with emulator and games would be nice.

Then again, what 2600 games would you want that are not available for the A8?

The 7800 is really an A8/5200 with 2600 emulation, right? So, absent a compelling list of 2600 only games, I think we have it all with an XEGS+MaxFlash (Steve, do I get a kickback for pimping your carts?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OP, the XEGS is my favorite A8. If you can get one for a good price, it's a complete solution out of the box. If you can't, the entire xl/xe line is great with a video adapter (I don't alter atari hardware). I prefer the cart slot on top. The 800 series had four joystick ports and that is great for a couple games. Demon Attack was another reason to have an 800 (before I burned my maxflash). I think the 1200 is the one system you should avoid as it has the joystick limitations of the xl/xe line combines with the compatibility issues of the 400/800. It's also less common which makes it more expensive to own and maintain. Good luck!

As someone else mentioned, the 800xl also has a small enough footprint as well and has the keyboard directly on it. It really comes down to, what do you want looks wise.

The 800xl looks like a computer, and you'll basically have this big keyboard thing sitting in your living room/game area.

The XEGS looks like a console, and the keyboard is optional. It has the needed function keys for computer games mounted right on the top of the console as big circular buttons.

Now my questions are if i were to pick one up on Ebay how much should one go for and can i play games on it with out the keyboard?

I can forgo the whole light gun thing to as i have no interest in it at all.

Yes, you can play cartridge games on it without the keyboard. As for how much one should go for, I'm not as up on the cost of those as I got all mine locally for dirt cheap. I'd say loose without the keyboard in the $30+ range sounds reasonable (assuming a power supply is provided). With the keyboard, probably around $50+.

Yes, that's the guy I got mine from. Just be aware though if you splurge and get an ST cable from him as well, it won't work on all ST models:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...=123445&hl=

Never thought of it that way, though it does make sense. I always assumed Atari was trying to match the line to what Commodore had with the 64 and 128.

You're right. I had mixed up the dates of STAR RAIDERS (which I've been playing recently) and MISSILE COMMAND. Regardless ... the point still stands. MISSILE COMMAND on the XE was still old and still dated, even by Atari XEGS standards ... and certainly was an odd choice for pack-in. I always felt that it didn't look much different from Atari 2600 games (in fact, less sophisticated than stuff like SOLARIS).

Also 7800 should have included the Pokey chip and that would have given 7800 a big leg up over the NES and SegaMS, 6 voices (2 TIA, 4 Pokey).

The issue came down to cost and space.

The 7800 had a primary design goal of being 2600 compatibile. To achieve this, they shipped it with 2600 hardware in the unit. This made for a somewhat expensive design and a crowded motherboard. Curt's noted that there simply wasn't space in the case to include a POKEY due to all the chips and the space provided by the unused Atari 2800 case that makes up the 7800 (another cost saving measure).

GCC intended to have better sound in the cartridges themselves by having games either ship with a POKEY (ala Ballblazer and Commando) or a new, low cost, higher performance chip, GUMBY. They are almost done when Jack purchased Atari and it went bye-bye.

I always liked GCC's play on words. The MARIA was named as a followup to 2600's TIA ... TIA-MARIA. And GUMBY was a followup to POKEY.

This was meant to compete with the NES without TV ads?

A few folks have posted some rare Tramiel Era TV ads for Atari consoles. I had never seen any of them before, though there seemed to be a few for the XEGS.

Check em out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzjvChHtQoE

The 7800 is really an A8/5200 with 2600 emulation, right?

The MARIA that the 7800 uses to create graphics is pretty different than either the 2600 TIA or the GTIA used in the A8/Atari 5200. They have a common 6502 processor but a lot of consoles and computers then are based upon the 6502.

The way the 7800 actually achieves 2600 compatibility is by having 2600 hardware on board. To use a really crude explanation, think of it this way:

The 7800 is a 6502 based system with 4K of RAM, a MARIA graphics processing unit and the 2600 hardware on its motherboard. When the system turns on, in 2600 mode, only part of the hardware is actually being used. The graphics and sound are generated by the 2600's TIA. The only memory is the 128 bytes found on one of the 2600's hardware chips (RIOT I think, but I can't remember at the moment). The system itself runs at a slower 1.19 MHZ instead of its normal speed ... similar to what the 2600's 6507 (a cut down 6502, really) runs at.

When in "7800" mode, everything is used. Graphics are generated by MARIA entirely. TIA is used for sound only. The processor runs at full speed. The 7800's memory is accessible. The 7800 also accesses cartridge data in much larger chunks (I *think* 48K at a time instead of 4K).

2600 is actually quite a hard machine to emulate and would have been nasty then.

One final comment about the XEGS. I like it and I use it all the time to play A8 games. However, there are a few really odd industrial design choices that REALLY, REALLY annoy me. They may not bug you, but just so you are aware:

1. The detachable keyboard is really cool to have but the cable is extremely short. I had visions of having this thing in my lap back in the day but it's only about 18 inches long. You'll probably want to extend it.

2. The audio/video RCA jacks on the back are really nice to have but they are spaced a bit farther apart than you'd think. Some of my RCA cables were stretched a bit uncomfortably. Not a big deal, but kind of odd.

3. The joystick ports are on a strange angle and I found unplugging peripherals to be a bit of a pain. I do like the play lightgun games (love the XEGS version of Crossbow) and this isn't a system where you can typically have the joystick in the left port and the light gun in the right.