IGNORED

Space Treat Serial #1 !!!!! I'm psyched!

Atari2600Lives

I got an order in from Hozer Video and much to my delight I have serial # 1 of Space Treat along with a bunch of other carts (Space Treat was after CGE2K..basically first cart ordered).

here is a pic of 3 different homebrew carts including Combat 2 and Suicide Adventure I just got from hozer video.

Homebrews Picture

Anyway , has anyone tried the homebrews? I am looking forward to spending a weekend with them ( I ordered about 30 in one shot).

I'll post some reviews later.

Atari2600Lives

Anyway , has anyone tried the homebrews? I am looking forward to spending a weekend with them ( I ordered about 30 in one shot).

Pretty cool that you ended up with #1! I believe mine is #74, which I just added a scan of to AtariAge today. Yep, here it is. I had a chance to play this briefly at the show, and will say that it quickly gets difficult.

After I'm done with my CGE2K2 Report (should be up Sunday) then I'll spend some quality time with the new homebrews. This includes Marble Craze, Mental Kombat, Space Treat, Thrust (which I still haven't played very much of, although enough to know it's very hard!), Castle Blast, and Haunted House II 3-D. I also need to spend some time checking out the various repro carts, including Crack'ed, Holey Moley, Pick Up, and Snow White. :)

I look forward to any reviews that you write up. Hopefully I'll have some time to write a few reviews myself!

..Al

Thrust (which I still haven't played very much of, although enough to know it's very hard!)

Come on, I know you can make it. :) (try starting with game #5).

I will definitely take your advice when I sit down and spend some time with Thrust. I'm a big fan of Gravitar-style games and even own a coin-op version of the game. What is your prefered method of controlling the game? Joystick? Driving Controller and Foot Pedal? Booster Grip? Oops, I'm helping move this thread further off topic. :)

..Al

What is your prefered method of controlling the game?  Joystick?  Driving Controller and Foot Pedal?  Booster Grip?  Oops, I'm helping move this thread further off topic.  :)

No problem for me. ;)

I'm playing it mostly on z26, so the answer is probably Keyboard (the C64 original was also keyboard controlled). When I play it on console, I'm still using the Joystick only (got used to it).

I got to play 2600 Thrust at CGE and was definitely impressed. Am trying to get a copy of the newer version from Albert at some stage (just the game) cos I already own a footpedal :D

One comment on the control method however. I found it hard to turn and thrust at the same time (almost an essential part of the C64 original which I love to death) using the current control setup. I would have prefered the following:

L/R - rotate L/R

Fire - thrust

Up - fire

Down - shield/tractor beam

I also found it almost impossible to tractor beam the pods off the surface! How do you do that properly? :?

Wow, I have label variations already! :)

Congratulations to Atari2600Lives for the HV1 cart, and thanks again to Tim for getting them to CGE!

And well, congratulations to Tim also for getting #1 ;) ;) ;)

Me, I'm still stuck in the hotel with the lousy internet connection that won't even let me in my webmail :(

Looking forward to my trip back home on tuesday!

Ciao,

Fabrizio.-

It is confusing that there will be two sets of numbered Space Treats out there. Personally I would prefer that people make just a limited run that's sold at a show (or not), say an initial 50 copies, and then make a generic label afterwards with no numbering scheme. This allows the initial purchasers to feel they have some kind of "exclusive", and that they were among the first few people to own and enjoy the game. Numbering is also good if an author decides to publish only *one* run of a game, with no plans to ever make additional copies available. Then you know you truly have "#1 of 50", not "#1 of this initial run of 50, not to be confused with #1 of an indeterminate number of titles released after the first 50". :)

..Al

These homebrews do get confusing;for example, I have 3 copies of Warring Worms--one is 'Baroque Gaming' edition #5 of 50,another one is from the 'Midwest Classic 2002',and the last is #88 from CGE 2002.And then there is the Xype edition games with the label recall/label replacements.Also got a Mr. Roboto cart with the 'midwest classic' title screen.It's cool when the title screen makes the cart unique-letting you know which show it was from.

Now back to the original topic--I got #50 on Space Treat, but did not pick it up until Sunday at CGE02.It's a great game that picks up speed on level#9(variable speeds on the different objects you must pass)

I got to play 2600 Thrust at CGE and was definitely impressed. Am trying to get a copy of the newer version from Albert at some stage (just the game) cos I already own a footpedal  :D  

One comment on the control method however. I found it hard to turn and thrust at the same time (almost an essential part of the C64 original which I love to death) using the current control setup. I would have prefered the following:

L/R - rotate L/R

Fire - thrust

Up - fire

I also found it almost impossible to tractor beam the pods off the surface! How do you do that properly?  :?

The button does activate the ship's thrust when you hold the joystick in the down position. This should make lifting the pods off the surface much easier. Read the instructions! :P

Just kidding. ;) I played the game for a long time before I read them and found this feature. I started to get a lot higher scores after that. Also got much better scores when I started playing level #5 instead of #1.

This was well after the high score contest was over, but like I need a contest to have a reason to play this awesome game. :thumbsup:

L/R - rotate L/R

Fire - thrust

Up - fire

I've tried this setup too, but I found it hard to control the thrust with the joystick too, because I often mixed that with the rotation, which caused a lot of frustration. So I decided for the current setup. But you are not the first who asked for this setup.

Maybe by using the Booster Grip or the footpedal you can find an easier setup for you.

@Rasty - you get my email I sent a few days back? Asking if you're gonna do a PAL version of "Space Treat", cos it's NTSC only :(

@BigPlayer - oh I was doing that, but the sodding pods still refused to budge most of the time. How close do you have to get? Seemingly a lot more so than the C64 version...

@Thomas - perhaps offer both control methods? I'll be looking to get the deluxe version, as I said, I already have a footpedal at home :D

The button does activate the ship's thrust when you hold the joystick in the down position. This should make lifting the pods off the surface much easier. Read the instructions

Thank GOD someone pointed this out to me. Never noticed it in the directions before. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get above a pod, thrust real hard, and try to activate the beam, hoping you hadn't moved out of range? Ugh. Now I've been snagging pods left and right. This was a HUGE revelation for me and I appreciate the fact that I now know. This game is so much better when you can play it correctly. ;)

Thank GOD someone pointed this out to me. Never noticed it in the directions before. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get above a pod, thrust real hard, and try to activate the beam, hoping you hadn't moved out of range?

I didn't even know that this is possible. :)

Now I can imagine, why many people think this game is too hard. So please, do yourself a big favour:

RTFM! ;)

I didn't even know that this is possible.  

What? You mean pushing forward and pulling back on the joystick at the same time? It's as easy as:

1. Manuver just above the pod, trying to stay as still as possible.

2. Thrust as hard as possible.

3. In the .00005 seconds before you zip out of range, activate the beam and pray you snag it.

RTFM, indeed. ;)

Thomas, can I buy thrust from you?

You'll be able to buy one from us very shortly, it's the Thrust Plus: DC Edition that includes the profesionally printed box (they look great!), manual and cartridge, as well as the foot pedal. We'll also be selling the game without the pedal for those who don't want it. And Thomas gets royalties for each copy sold. :)

..Al