IGNORED

The Official Wii Fit Topic

Tempest

Online play is bare bones, even the PSP offers better online play. Maybe things will change once they release the Wii-talk or whatever the hell it is, but for now, playing online, is really no different than playing against AI, there's no interaction, or very limited interaction to make you remember you're actually playing against a real person.

For at least the second time in this thread, I agree with you. One of my favorite games for the Wii is Dr. Mario Online Rx, which I play almost every night. But still, I have to admit that I only have about a third as much fun as I could be having if the Wii had a better online system. The "friends" system is rudimentary, no voice chat is supported at all, and even the communication that is allowed is limited to the ~20 pre-built catchphrases. Eh.

Wii really needs something like XBL, or even PSHome. I'd be willing to pay. It's a damn nice system, but there are still a lot of assets left untapped.

They are restrictive, but Nintendo certainly knows its target market. I can understand the online limitations of Dr. Mario Online Rx (and the Wii in general), because it means that kids can have a safe, sheltered, and fun online experience against anonymous competitors. Voice chat or unlimited phrase typing would take that away. I see enough intelligent online smack in this thread...who needs stupid online smackduring gaming? ;) I agree that the "friends" system is rudimentary and painful to set up.

Sorry jetset. I think I see the problem with your logic now though. You have none. You just seem to spout off random sentences regarding things you have limited to no knowledge about.

LOL, you've just figured that out? :P

WTF? I'm guessing you're joking. Or...are you being a tool?

i just bought my wife DDR Universe 2 for the 360. I guess I'll see how long that holds her interest and gauge it to see if it's worth it for me to spend the money on Wii Fit for her, I already know I won't use it, just as my ab lounger sits, just as the $50 worth of pilates dvd's my wife bought sits, etc. etc. etc.

• 1 month later...
Here's the exact quote from a Microsoft exec (who apparently thinks the Wii Fit is a "gimmick"):
We’ve seen some research that says 60 per cent of people who bought a Wii Fit play it once and don’t play it again.

Full Story: http://www.wiimedia.com/news/view/microsof..._fits_unplayed/

i bet that 99% of the atari joyboard owners don't play with it ;)

The thing is, the Joyboard doesn't work so well on the carpet, while Wii fit works great. Microsoft can stuff it, all 5 members of the household use it nearly every day. I actually like doing Yoga with it, even though frankly I'd be embarrased to do it at the gym (I'm more of a weightlifter, but I like the stretches).

Eric

I admit I'm a sucker for specialty peripherals:

-2 Cobalt Flux PS2 DDR pads (60 pounds each--tough to schlep out for my kids)

-PS2/XBOX Karaoke Revolution microphones

-PS2 Singstar microphones

-PS2 Guitar Hero guitars

-Dreamcast Densha de Go (train) controller

-Dreamcast Pop 'N Music controller (the smaller, cheaper one)

-Dreamcast Fishing rod (that I still use)

This doesn't include the classic console peripherals like the Arcadia Supercharger, KidVid tape player, Joyboard, the NES Power Glove, etc (all of which I parted ways with long ago).

However, I have not plunked for Wii Fit or Rock Band. Not sure if I will either. Too much stuff already in the closet :)

• 3 months later...

Before anyone asks, yes I have already looked for my answer in the Official Wii Fit post and in that post I saw the following but it doesn't really answer my question...

... the balance games are a lot of fun. Had friends over the other night and about 4 hours was spent in laughter watching everyone try their hand at the games.

My question is how do you get multiple people to try out the games in Wii Fit? Do you use Guest Mode? I ask because I have set up myself with a profile and my girlfriend has her profile too but if we both want to play the mini-games together (for example the Ski Jump), the only way we can do it is to play once, then back out of that person's profile, go back to the main screen, choose the other person's profile, listen to the Balance Board talk to us for five minutes, then play the game then back out again and repeat.

Is there such a thing as a "Party Mode" in Wii Fit where several people can all have a try at one mini game together? I can't seem to find anything online to confirm if you can or not.

Actually, I have found the solution. It's not exactly a party mode but it's close. In the profile screen, instead of choosing your profile, choose "Trial". You then choose a randomly made Mii who can play a dozen mini games to his heart's content. So choose that and then everyone in the room can just keep replaying that random Mii. What sucks is you won't be able to play the unlocked games later but I guess this is the only way Nintendo made it so people could try the games without messing up the "fitness" regimen (I use that term loosely here) of someone whose stats are being tracked.

Nope, it doesn't have a "party mode".

What we did, if my recollection is correct, is made a new Mii and used that Mii over and over for everyone that tried the balance games. We had to "back out" to the menu each time a new person got on the balance board so that the program could "calibrate" their weight in order for their in-game movements (such as leaning to head the soccer balls) to be accurate.

Not the best way of doing things but I guess that Ninty never intended WiiFit to be a party game. But we had a blast that night and I know that a couple people who were here bought WiiFit just because they liked the balance games.

Mendon

It would be nice if Nintendo could send out a patch or something to allow people to switch users quickly. I won't hold my breath waiting, but it would be nice. I don't care about the fitness regimen portion of the game, but many of the minigames are quite fun and it is very cumbersome to back out and change users if one of my kids or friends wants a try.

It would be nice if Nintendo could send out a patch or something to allow people to switch users quickly. I won't hold my breath waiting, but it would be nice. I don't care about the fitness regimen portion of the game, but many of the minigames are quite fun and it is very cumbersome to back out and change users if one of my kids or friends wants a try.

We played a ton of the minigames during new year.. everyone just used the same character. Seemed fine enough