IGNORED

Stella 2.6.1 released

stephena

Right now, whenever I click on a binary file icon, it automatically uses Stella 2.2 edition. How do I change it to automatically use 2.6.1?

This is a Windows issue (I assume you're using Windows). You have to go into the 'File Types' stuff in Windows Explorer and change what application is associated with *.bin (if it's .bin files you're talking about). Or perhaps you can right-click on the bin file and chage the default application from there. I don't use Windows regularly, so that's as much detail as I can provide.

In Windows just right-click the rom file and select "Open With..." then use the Browse button to find the application and check "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"

In Windows just right-click the rom file and select "Open With..." then use the Browse button to find the application and check "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"

I tried that, but it still opens with Stella 2.2 for some stupid reason. It's like it's in love with it and won't accept any other Stella releases. I hate computers.

EDIT: I made things a lot worse now. While attempting to remove Stella 2.2 from my computer, whenever I click on a binary file now, it says "The procedure entry point SDL_strlcat could not be located in the dymanic link library SDL.dll." Whatever the *#&$ that means. I dragged the 2.6.1 into the 2.2 file and said replace it because apparently the two versions have the same file name. ARGH!

Edited by atari2600land

I tried that, but it still opens with Stella 2.2 for some stupid reason. It's like it's in love with it and won't accept any other Stella releases. I hate computers.

EDIT: I made things a lot worse now. While attempting to remove Stella 2.2 from my computer, whenever I click on a binary file now, it says "The procedure entry point SDL_strlcat could not be located in the dymanic link library SDL.dll." Whatever the *#&$ that means. I dragged the 2.6.1 into the 2.2 file and said replace it because apparently the two versions have the same file name. ARGH!

It could be that Stella 2.2 and version 2.6.1 use a different version of SDL. When you upgrade Stella (and any application for that matter), you should do a *complete* upgrade. If you're using the .exe installer, it will be taken care of for you. If using the .zip files, you have to replace all files, including the application and DLL's (SDL and Zlib). Just because the files have the same name doesn't mean that they're the same version, or compatible with older versions.

There's one little thing that annoys me about Stella. You know like in Explorer, if you are in a folder with many files, you can start typing the name of the file you want to locate, and the first file to match that combination of letters gets highlighted. In Stella, the time limit between hits seems to be a lot shorter.

Say, if I want to get to Pole Possition, I have to hit P and O too fast, or the first game starting with O will get highlighted.

I'm I the only one having issues with this? Any way to make it a bit slower?

This is easily fixed in code, but unfortunately not by the user yet :( I can fix that for the next release, and perhaps make it configurable too.

Gnarly!

• 2 weeks later...
Stephena is there any chance to have Stella ported to the Jag?

You know, I'm not sure what the point would be. No Jaguar emulator would ever be as good as Stella or Z26 running on a half-decent PC.

I'd much rather see that kind of programming effort put into one good - but original - Jaguar game than into an emulator that might run dozens of old games. Even an updated "Combat 2000" or "Adventure 2000". It wouldn't even have to have 3D polygons, maybe just a well-done effort with sprites, a la Plasma Pong....

Stephena is there any chance to have Stella ported to the Jag? Atari started work on a 2600 emulator for the Jag but they never got any where with it :( but it does run. Here's a copy of the work they started. ;) Curt posted this some time back. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, not by me. It's enough for me to keep the Linux, OSX and Win32 ports synchronized and released at the same time. I could probably offer support knowledge-wise to someone who wanted to undertake a Jag port, but that's about all I have time for.

Do you think an iPhone version is possible ? Does the iPhone have enough CPU power ?

Porting the Mac version to the iPhone SDK is easy ?

What about the interface ?

(The iPhone already has some emulators (Nes, SuperNes, etc) but I don't know if they are fast and if their interface is nice...)

Do you think an iPhone version is possible ? Does the iPhone have enough CPU power ?

Porting the Mac version to the iPhone SDK is easy ?

What about the interface ?

(The iPhone already has some emulators (Nes, SuperNes, etc) but I don't know if they are fast and if their interface is nice...)

Considering the GP2X has the same class of CPU as the iPhone, but the iPhone's clock rate is twice as fast, so I'd say it's 100% possible. I haven't tried the other iPhone emulators but considering they must use the touch screen as a virtual controller, they probably aren't all that great.

Stephena is there any chance to have Stella ported to the Jag? Atari started work on a 2600 emulator for the Jag but they never got any where with it :( but it does run. Here's a copy of the work they started. ;) Curt posted this some time back. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Stella is written in C++. Is there a C++ compiler for any Jag chips other than the 68k (which is almost certainly far too slow?)

I haven't tried the other iPhone emulators but considering they must use the touch screen as a virtual controller, they probably aren't all that great.

For paddle games it might not be that bad. Also, since it supports multi-touch, it might work okay as a joypad since you can tap the fire button and move at the same time.

Do you know if the iPhone API supports bluetooth controllers? I don't see why it wouldn't be technically possible, but knowing Apple...

Edited by mos6507

• 2 months later...
EDIT: I forgot to add, please upgrade to the latest version of Stella before submitting any reports, so we don't end up searching for problems that are already fixed in a later release.

Will Stella ever be able to automatically update itself like so many other programs can do?

If you mean when a new version comes out, it will let you know, then I really don't see the need. Releases are usually 5-6 months apart, so it's not as if stuff is changing so quickly that you miss something. And new releases are always mentioned here anyway, so if you're 'into the scene', you'll find out relatively quickly on this website.

No, I mean that many other programs will automatically download and 'install' the latest stable version of the program (unless you turn off that feature) so you're always up to date.

I don't know about other people, but time increasingly flies by faster for me the older I get and two or more updates could happen before I know what happened. Stella announcements usually get lost in the crowd of new posts and if you can overcome that problem, you have to fight procrastinating thoughts such as "Holy crap, I have to uninstall and reinstall again? I'll do it later. I don't have time for that now." Six months to a year goes by and you're still using a crusty version of Stella.

I'd like to see a "Fixed Debug Colors" mode added to Stella like in "no$2k6" emulator. When enabled, the value of the various VCS color registers are ignored and each of the graphics object is displayed in a fixed color. This allows to see in a simple way how some elaborate displays are composed using the limited VCS graphic objects.

Some screenshots showing Stella and no$2k6 (with the option enabled) side by side:

post-10599-1222975537_thumb.png

post-10599-1222975552_thumb.png

post-10599-1222975567_thumb.png

post-10599-1222975578_thumb.png

I'd like to see a "Fixed Debug Colors" mode added to Stella like in "no$2k6" emulator. When enabled, the value of the various VCS color registers are ignored and each of the graphics object is displayed in a fixed color. This allows to see in a simple way how some elaborate displays are composed using the limited VCS graphic objects.

Interesting, and something I'd never seen or considered before. I'll look into it for a future release.

Interesting, and something I'd never seen or considered before. I'll look into it for a future release.

Yeah, that would be a damned interesting feature to have. I'd like to see that for some of the homebrew games. :)

..Al

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using Stella 2.6.1, but all the files in a folder show up on the screen, not of just the .bin files. I believe it is supposed to hide other files though?

I have other files in the folder because I'm compiling and then testing so I have .lst files, .asm files, .cfg files, .exe files, etc... and it gets a little messy without Stella just showing me the .bin files.

I'm using Stella 2.6.1, but all the files in a folder show up on the screen, not of just the .bin files. I believe it is supposed to hide other files though?

I have other files in the folder because I'm compiling and then testing so I have .lst files, .asm files, .cfg files, .exe files, etc... and it gets a little messy without Stella just showing me the .bin files.

Sorry, I mistakenly said that only ROM files are shown in the ROM launcher. I meant to say that only ROM files will start when you double-click, press play, etc. However, all files in the folder will be shown. I'll look into showing only ROM files for a future release.

Sorry, I mistakenly said that only ROM files are shown in the ROM launcher. I meant to say that only ROM files will start when you double-click, press play, etc. However, all files in the folder will be shown. I'll look into showing only ROM files for a future release.

How about adding a search box so that the user could type in the search pattern such as *.a26 or *.bin.

stellasearch.bmp

I'd also like a way to jump to directories by typing their first letter(s), like you can do with ROMs. Maybe by using a modifier key, so typing a letter alone jumps you to a ROM, but alt + a letter jumps you to a directory. I have my ROMs organized by folder, and this would be a very handy thing to have.

I'd also like a way to jump to directories by typing their first letter(s), like you can do with ROMs. Maybe by using a modifier key, so typing a letter alone jumps you to a ROM, but alt + a letter jumps you to a directory. I have my ROMs organized by folder, and this would be a very handy thing to have.

All of these are very good ideas, and something I will definitely look into for the next release. The last major release was really the first time Stella has a real filesystem browser, so the next release will add better features to it.

• 2 weeks later...
All of these are very good ideas, and something I will definitely look into for the next release. The last major release was really the first time Stella has a real filesystem browser, so the next release will add better features to it.

Another thing that would be nice is support for folder aliases under Mac OS X -- right now they're just treated as unmountable files. My bB stuff lives in a totally different directory than my main ROMs folder, and it'd be nice to be able to quickly jump between the two (I've put an alias of each folder in the other one).

Edited by thegoldenband