IGNORED

hardest and eaisest controllers to get used to?

Since the "Favorite and Despised" topic was entertaining, I decided to post this.

What is the hardest and eaisiest controllers to get used to?

I thought that the NES controller was wayyyyy too hard to get used to, mainly because I am a Sega boy and was playing nothing BUT 2600, Coleco ADAM and Genesis during that time. It seems to me that Nintendo always made controllers that were hard to get used to.

So in short:

Hardest: NES

Eaisest: Genesis (Not counting the 2600.)

hmmm, NES controller hard? I'm gonna have to disagree there...that easily takes the EASY CONTROL category...as far as the hardest control to get used to? That's a tossup between 3...first, is the XBOX controller, simply because of the bulk to it, not to mention the 6 buttons located very closely together on the front... Second choice is the Dreamcast controller...again, I think this is due to bulk, but regardless I could never get used to this one...and thirdly is the Gamecube controller...it's not terrible, but I do hit the wrong button sometimes, which screws things up majorly.

So, here's the rundown.

Easiest- NES

Hardest- XBOX, Dreamcast, Gamecube

Dave

Well I'd have to say

Hardest : N64 I just can't get passed the shape and button configuration of it, never really could find a way to hold it where my hand didn't hurt after a hour.

Easiest : PSX/PS2 dual Shock, it took a lil time at first going from a SNES controller to a PSX but once I got used to it nothing has felt anywhere near as natural.

just my ramdom thoughts here, take it or leave it

Z28in82

Easiest...I'm going to be difficult here, but the first time I held a Dreamcast controller, it felt like it was an extension of my hands...I love that controller so much!! Yes, I am excluding the 2600 in this, becaise that one screams ease of use.

Hardest - The orginial XBox controller, not because of it's bulk, I have big hands, and it was comfortable in that way. I just thought the slanted buttons were too slick, and too close together. The N64 controller is also a mess. Especially that stupid Z button placement.

Easiest - Dreamcast, 2600

Hardest - XBox, N64

Easiest...I'm going to be difficult here, but the first time I held a Dreamcast controller, it felt like it was an extension of my hands...I love that controller so much!!  Yes, I am excluding the 2600 in this, becaise that one screams ease of use.

Hardest - The orginial XBox controller, not because of it's bulk, I have big hands, and it was comfortable in that way.  I just thought the slanted buttons were too slick, and too close together. The N64 controller is also a mess.  Especially that stupid Z button placement.

Easiest - Dreamcast, 2600

Hardest - XBox, N64

Aggreed! :)

Yeah, the dreamcast in my opinion is the best controller made. I can play for hours and my hands don't cramp up AT ALL! And I think the NES controller is easy to use, i mean 2 buttons, how hard can that be. Although I don't think the NES controller is the best, it definitely is easy.

Yeah, the dreamcast in my opinion is the best controller made.  I can play for hours and my hands don't cramp up AT ALL

:D

Same here.

Top 5 Best Controllers:

5: Coleco Vision

4: Sega Saturn

3: Atari 2600

2: Sega Genesis

1: Sega Dreamcast.

I've never used a coleco vision controller, but all the other ones are ones that'd be on my list. I like the Saturn controller more than the Genesis, so my list would go like this:

1. Sega Dreamcast

2. Sega Saturn

3. Atari 2600

4. Sega Genesis

Yeah, the dreamcast in my opinion is the best controller made.  I can play for hours and my hands don't cramp up AT ALL

:D

Same here.

Top 5 Best Controllers:

5: Coleco Vision

4: Sega Saturn

3: Atari 2600

2: Sega Genesis

1: Sega Dreamcast.

I've never used a coleco vision controller, but all the other ones are ones that'd be on my list. I like the Saturn controller more than the Genesis, so my list would go like this:

1. Sega Dreamcast

2. Sega Saturn

3. Atari 2600

4. Sega Genesis

Ahh...

I like the Genesis Controller, I guess because Im more used to it. Don't get me wrong, the Saturn controller isnt bad, but the L and R buttons became a little hard to push, my fingers fell off sometimes, and made too louad a clicking noise.

Hardest for me was either the Dual Shock (too damn many buttons, and it's too small for my hands) and Vectrex (you're really supposed to use it resting on a table, that's kinda wierd). Oh yeah, and the Telegames replacement 7800 controllers with the left and right buttons reversed.

I actually like the Xbox controllers for the same reason why I don't like Dual Shock. A favorite is hard to pick, but I would have to go with either the Genesis, good old Wico Bat Handle, or the funky Gemini Paddle/Stick combo (the only way to make Super Breakout work in a 7800).

Eric

Hardest for me was either the Dual Shock (too damn many buttons, and it's too small for my hands) and Vectrex (you're really supposed to use it resting on a table, that's kinda wierd). Oh yeah, and the Telegames replacement 7800 controllers with the left and right buttons reversed.

I actually like the Xbox controllers for the same reason why I don't like Dual Shock. A favorite is hard to pick, but I would have to go with either the Genesis, good old Wico Bat Handle, or the funky Gemini Paddle/Stick combo (the only way to make Super Breakout work in a 7800).

Eric

Hardest: Intellivision. The disc and the shape were weird for starters. Couple that with the 16 direction movement and the fact that you can't use the keypad and disc at the same time made for a big learning curve.

Easiest: Atari 2600 Joystick. How can you get any easier than that?

:)

-Paul

Easiest: SNES. It fits my hands really well, and everything feels quite right with it. It's not my favorite pad by far, but it was very easy to get used to.

Hardest: This is going to sound stupid, but I have to say Genesis. My reason for this is that I had a Jaguar for many years before I bought my first Genesis. By that time, I'd gotten used to the backwards CBA layout of the buttons on the Jaguar's pad, and I'm still trying to get used to it being the other way around. Aside from that, the controller itself is very good.

--Zero

• 3 weeks later...

have you ever played with a virtual boy? it has the most ergonomical controllers ever made. nintendo designed them to be used with out being able to see them and thus created a very intuative design. i'd say the second best would be the dual shock psx, who would have ever thought you could work those little mushroom joysticks so well with your thumbs?

worst controllers...

5200, channel f, intv

I always found each PSX shoulder button too similar to its pal on that side to be intuitive.

Genesis too had a bit of "too many too similar buttons"

Kudos to Nintendo, not only for reviving the analog stick (and putting four of them into the system) but for always figuring out how to sensilby group their buttons...from the SNES' brilliiant "second crosspad" layout on up. The new Z button strains that a bit, but they gave it a different enough feel that it's not that confusing.

• 3 years later...

OK, for no good reason whatsoever, I'll rate every standard controller I,ve used.

Easiest:

Atari 2600: Seriously, it's a stick and a button.

Sega Genesis 6-button: Actually rated easier than the 3 button because it is smaller and easier to hold. Sexiest looking, except maybe for Saturn. The ONLY way to play 16-bit fighting games.

SMS/NES: Boxy units hurt after a while. Score NES slightly higher for better D-pad

Playstation: All versions: Feels like an extention of the body. Score a few slots lower if PS2 games use the L3-R3 buttons. Bad idea.

SNES: comfortable and easy to use.

Saturn: Like the Genny, but the D-pad was not as nice.

N64: Just forget the left 1/3 even exists. Middle and right feels good. Score lower if you have to use D-pad (damn you Kirby!)

Dreamcast: Grips get uncomfortable after a while. The cord comes out where?

Xbox: Difficult layout, black and white buttons don't really work with setup.

Intelevision: Disc was a bit dificult to use with precision. Number pads suck.

Gamecube: Worthless D-pad. Tiny button you can't hit with adult fingers without mashing other buttons with it. That button over the A button (Y?) you can't hit without mashing the A button. Only saving grace is that many games don't use the D-pad and only use 2 buttons anyway. What could be worse?

Colecovision: Fails almost any way you look at it. Mostly useless number pad, knobby joystick, side-mounted buttons. I challenge you to play five games of 1942 without developing carpal tunnel syndrome.

Honorable mentions:

SMS joystick: Placing the buttons on the left made this the perfect transition from Atari to SMS.

Wico Command: It was heavy, but "The one with the red ball" was the most responsive stick for the 2600.

PS2 Street Fighter pads: The best available fighting controller for the current gen. If they weren't so thick, they could rival the Genny.

NES Advantage: Teh Suck. Worst D-pad ever.