IGNORED

hardest and eaisest controllers to get used to?

I like the feel of the cast controller, but not having a second analog stick always seemed like a big goof on sega part. The hardest for me might be the 2600,intellivision or the nes, simply put they aren't erganomic in any way making them hard to use. I know a lot of people here love the 2600 and nes pads but i didn't grow up using them so i get no nostalgic buzz just hand cramps and soar hands thanks to the horribly angular nes pad.

The psx controller deserves honorable mention in the least ergonmic controller department, but it doesn't give me hand cramps so it isn't as bad as the rest.

My favorites are saturn, cube, x box (the s type not the duke or 360 versions), genesis, snes the rest or either ok or could be better. The n64 pad could have really benefited from an extra analog stick as well (where they could put it I have no idea), but it isn't bad as it stands, just no where near as good as the cubes.

Edited by sega saturn x

I'll have to mirror what someone posted before (three years before) and say that the Atari 2600 and the Sega Dreamcast are the easiest to use. The Dreamcast's controllers were just the right size (although they felt a little lighter than they should have been) and the trigger buttons were fantastic, compared to the PS1/2's awkward trigger button placement. And the Atari 2600's controllers were the manifestation of game control perfection. The Atari CX-40 practically melts into my hands, and takes away any reaction slowdowns when trying to respond to something onscreen. I don't have to think about button placement, or combo button presses, it just happens when I want it to. One button, one stick, one great controller. :cool:

The worst would have to be the Nintendo 64's God-awful controller. A strange shape, awkward analog stick layout, and a stupidly placed Z button makes this thing unpleasant to use. It was as if Nintendo was deliberately trying to make a controller that was nothing like any controller form that had ever come before, but they didn't think about the ergonomics of it.

Another vote for worst would be the PS1 controller. I absolutely hated the L1/L2 and R1/R2 placement. I didn't like the D-pad on it, either. Also, the general shape of the controller wasn't all that great. I know that a lot of people loved the ergonomics of it, but I couldn't get into it. The PS2's controllers, with the dual analog sticks, are a little bit better. When I play my PS2, I use my Logitech Wireless. It just feels better to use.

Hardest:  Atari 2600.  Joystick movement with the right and fire with the left is sooo counter intuitive

It's only counterintuitive if you've played with left-handed controllers your whole life.

But it does bring up a good point. Whatever your first controllers were are going to set certain patterns in what you expect that make it easier or harder to adapt to other systems.

I'm not counting the stuff I "imprinted" on for that reason.

For the record, that would be a 99/4a and a Vectrex.

My hardest to adapt to was the Dreamcast controller. Not a BAD device once you get to know it, but it DOES have a bit of a learning curve.

My easiest was probably the 5200. Having grown up on a 99/4a, I took to the controller design like a dehydrated duck to water(4a sticks are like the missing link between the 2600 and 5200).

Easiest: Genesis 3 button (I think I may ever have hit the wrong button a handful of times with that controller, and it's way more comfortable than the NES, Atari 2600, or other controllers with less buttons).

Hardest: PSX/PS2 dual shock: I find the Xbox, GameCube, and Dreamcast controllers so much better than that controller it's not even funny. Perhaps it's because I never owned a PS1 during its life (or an N64 or Saturn) so I ended up getting used to the Gamecube layout for 3D games. That could be it, because the friend I always play Halo with skipped last generation as well and cut his 3D teeth on the Xbox controller and he hates the dual shock as well. Whatever the reason, the four identical buttons in a cross, with both analogs so close together thing just doesn't do it for me.

The Xbox controller is pretty hard to use, When I play I always find myself looking down to see where the buttons are. I dont know ahy everyone always says the gamecube controller is so good, maybe I dont play that many games on it because it dosnt seem to be THAT great, I mean its not bad but not great either.

My favorate controller is probably the SNES controller.

Hardest- N64 (Turok come to mind :roll: )

Easiest- NES

Most comfortable? Xbox360- man thats a nice controller

Dreamcast controller is good when thier new. A used one feels like crap and the analog stick is too loose for my liking and the buttons stick. I hate used DC controllers but love em when thier new.

I think that DC and Jaguar controllers are the most unique controllers made. I love the keypad on the Jaguar controller and the VMU for the DC

Edited by ManShowBoy

The NES Advantage was a joystick not a d-pad, and is a pretty good controller. I generally preferred using it over the normal controller. At least for the arcade ports anyway.

1015878[/snapback]

Perhaps he means the NES "Max".

1016030[/snapback]

Could be, and I would agree those are bad. Don't like the sliding disk d-pad at all.

Hardest:  Atari 2600.  Joystick movement with the right and fire with the left is sooo counter intuitive

It's only counterintuitive if you've played with left-handed controllers your whole life....

1015996[/snapback]

My first console was a 2600 and being left handed I always found the joystick hard to use. I was jealous of my neighbor who had a Colecovision and my cousin who had a 5200. The nicer graphics where cool, but I really like the fact their controllers were made to be held left handed or right handed. I am very uncoordinated with my right hand. So I had to cock my right to hold the base and control the joystick with my left.

It's only counterintuitive if you've played with left-handed controllers your whole life....

1015996[/snapback]

My first console was a 2600 and being left handed I always found the joystick hard to use. I was jealous of my neighbor who had a Colecovision and my cousin who had a 5200. The nicer graphics where cool, but I really like the fact their controllers were made to be held left handed or right handed. I am very uncoordinated with my right hand. So I had to cock my right to hold the base and control the joystick with my left.

1016072[/snapback]

So I take it you love what the japanese have done with the industry, controller-wise? You've got the advantage now.

1015996[/snapback]

1016072[/snapback]

So I take it you love what the japanese have done with the industry, controller-wise? You've got the advantage now.

1016103[/snapback]

Well heck yeah I do! Other than FPS games it's becoming a very lefty friendly gaming world. :D

Edited by dalton4life

I had been a die-hard CX40 lover, believing that controlling direction with the left had was just plain WRONG, until I got my GameCube. The GameCube controllers, for me, are the most intuitive, comfortable, and usable controllers I've played on (which, granted, is fairly limited). XBOX controllers aren't bad, but I like the fact that the buttons on the 'Cube are different sizes... it's easier to feel whether you're pressing the right button or not. I do find though that I get hand cramps a lot easier with the XBOX controller than the 'Cube.

I've never had much interest in any of the Sony systems. I think I've only played each once or twice. The controllers did nothing for me.

Hardest: negCon twist pad, but well worth the effort.

Easiest: Some types of driving controllers (besides the negCon) and nearly any light gun. I'd say the simplest are Atari paddles, the Ultra Racer controllers, and a Zapper.

Easiest odd controller: Saturn Twin Stick.

Easiest stock controllers: CX-40

Hardest stock controllers: 5200 joystick, N64 pad (notice a trend there with the analog stuff?)

I had been a die-hard CX40 lover, believing that controlling direction with the left had was just plain WRONG, until I got my GameCube. The GameCube controllers, for me, are the most intuitive, comfortable, and usable controllers I've played on (which, granted, is fairly limited).  XBOX controllers aren't bad, but I like the fact that the buttons on the 'Cube are different sizes... it's easier to feel whether you're pressing the right button or not.  I do find though that I get hand cramps a lot easier with the XBOX controller than the 'Cube.

I've never had much interest in any of the Sony systems. I think I've only played each once or twice. The controllers did nothing for me.

1016137[/snapback]

I have to second the 'Cube comments. The shape and layout of he buttons makes for a very intuitive experience.

I vaguely remember learning the buttons on my SNES... kept having to remind myself what button was where while playing for a long time. This may have as much to do with the fact that the buttons are LABELLED BACKWARDS as anything else, but the point is that it's not an intuitive design.

I STILL have to look if a PS* game references buttons by name. Abstract labels mean nothing to me.

The 'Cube is easy. IF ithe button curves right, it's right of home. Curves up, it's above home. If it's little, it's left of home. If it's big and green, you're sitting on it. If it says start/pause, reach halfway across the QBerting pad.

I don't ahve a 64, but I suspect I'd get along similarly well with the C buttons.

While I would say that the 2600 joystick is easy to use, it doesn't exactly have the best ergonomic design for marathon performances in my opinion. I get a sore thumb after about 90 minutes while the left edge of the base jabs into the joint where the thumb meets the hand. The more firing necessary, the worse it gets. I had a controller back when I was younger that was a trigger with the joystick mounted on top. I think I used that the most.

I don't think the NES Advantage is bad at all. However, I do prefer the original controller when higher precision moves are necessary.

I personally don't care for the GameCube controllers with the buttons all over the place. I really don't use one much, so I am not really accustomed to it.

I am surprised that no one mentioned the Power Glove.

It's only counterintuitive if you've played with left-handed controllers your whole life.

Totally true. Even back in the early 80s we never had a real Atari, but a Coleco Gemini instead. That contoller works best when held with your right hand, trigger finger on the fire button and joystick with the left.

The only problem I have ever had with the game cube controller is my index finger will sometimes go numb when i have to hold the shoulder buttons down for a long time. This has only been a problem with metroid prime, and since I don't play those games anyway it isn't much of a problem. They worked great with resident evil 4 and the rest, it's just when you have to hold them down for a REALLY long time. Like a whole boss fight in metroid, man the 2-d ones were so much better.

Totally true. Even back in the early 80s we never had a real Atari, but a Coleco Gemini instead. That contoller works best when held with your right hand, trigger finger on the fire button and joystick with the left.

1016346[/snapback]

Yeah. I've got some Gemini sticks. They were my favored input device for a while.

Neat devices, and it's a shame they weren't widespread enough for Gemini-exclusive games to appear that used the stick and knob at the same time.

I believe I played them with the left hand cradling the base and thumb on fire a lot, though I also used your technique.

That's one thing I like about the ambidextrous controller styles. There's more than one way to use them. (while not truly ambidextrous, teh Gemini has the same style to the controller)

My favorite example is a technique I use on some 5200 games.

I grasp the stick in my left hand, wrap the controller base in my right hand, index finger and thumb on the fire buttons, and tilt the BASE of the controller while holding the stick stationary. It seems to work well for Star Wars and Missile Command.

It's also a good technique for games that make heavy use of both fire buttons, as you have a finger on top fire and a finger on bottom fire at the same time.

I've done it on the 4a occasionally too, but it's less effective there. Partially because the sticks themselves are pretty bad.

Edited by JB

Easiest: 2600 stick

Hardest: Intellivision

There have been several mentions of the labeling of buttons on current gen systems. I personally have trouble with any controller that uses the A,B,X,Y setup after using the Playstation dual shock layout for 2 generations of games. I have those symbols engrained in my head, so It's second nature to me. Every time I play my xbox it feels like I have to re-learn the buttons.

Easiest: 2600 stick

Hardest: Intellivision

There have been several mentions of the labeling of buttons on current gen systems. I personally have trouble with any controller that uses the A,B,X,Y setup after using the Playstation dual shock layout for 2 generations of games. I have those symbols engrained in my head, so It's second nature to me. Every time I play my xbox it feels like I have to re-learn the buttons.

1017791[/snapback]

I DID have some trouble with teh Dreamcast because it used an SNES layout with reversed names. I got voer it, though.

Like I said, to this day I can't remember those QBerting symbols.