IGNORED

Atari A/V mod update

Longhorn Engineer

Hey longhorn,

I have assembled 2 of them and tested one on my PAL light 6 switch. Just got a real ghosted image of the screen. I need to test the mod on my NTSC 4 switch that currently has one installed and working. Just need to confirm that I put the thing together correctly.

I have has a lot of strange results on this PAL 6 switch and have found that the only mod that works has been the Benheck basic PAL mod. I will try it on a PAL Jnr that I have here.

Have been really busy and not enough time to play with the thing.

Edited by mamejay

Hey longhorn,

I have assembled 2 of them and tested one on my PAL light 6 switch. Just got a real ghosted image of the screen. I need to test the mod on my NTSC 4 switch that currently has one installed and working. Just need to confirm that I put the thing together correctly.

I have has a lot of strange results on this PAL 6 switch and have found that the only mod that works has been the Benheck basic PAL mod. I will try it on a PAL Jnr that I have here.

Have been really busy and not enough time to play with the thing.

I think for the PAL the Chroma line needs adjusting.

edit// you are picking the chroma directly from the TIA chip correct?

Ok, I finally found some time to put this bad boy in. Picture is crystal clear and audio is working perfectly. However, I'm having a couple issues and I hope I can get some help here:

1. I popped in Pac-Man and, at first, the colors looked right...but when I turned started a game, it looks like this:

post-9712-128606846214_thumb.jpg

In playing with the wires and wiggling the mod-board, I managed to get the correct image, but it doesn't stay that way:

post-9712-128606853599_thumb.jpg

My guess is a bad solder somewhere. I'll take a look tomorrow, unless someone has other ideas.

2. With all 7800 games, I get no color at all. Just black and white images:

post-9712-128606863112_thumb.jpg

post-9712-128606864045_thumb.jpg

I have no idea how to troubleshoot this one. By the way, the same symptoms happen with both S-Video and Composite outputs.

Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated. :)

EDIT: I have another 2600-related issue. I popped in Asteroids and the characters seem to jump around...almost like it's a vertical-hold issue, but I've got it hooked up to an HDTV. Thoughts?

Edited by Deteacher

2. With all 7800 games, I get no color at all. Just black and white images:

post-9712-128606863112_thumb.jpg

post-9712-128606864045_thumb.jpg

I have no idea how to troubleshoot this one. By the way, the same symptoms happen with both S-Video and Composite outputs.

Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated. :)

EDIT: I have another 2600-related issue. I popped in Asteroids and the characters seem to jump around...almost like it's a vertical-hold issue, but I've got it hooked up to an HDTV. Thoughts?

I had the black and white issue when I got mine as well. I ended up having to touch up the soldering on one of the chips per LH's suggestion. It was the really tiny chip. I needed to reflow the solder. With my lousy hand steadiness, it was quite the chore.

Edited by Lendorien

UPDATE!

I went through and cleaned up my solder job. I reflowed all my joints on the mainboard and that cleaned up the 2600 color issue. I've never seen such a clean, non-emulated display. I'm in love with this thing! :)

However, I still have the B&W issue in 7800 mode. I'm waiting to hear from Parker as to what chip(s) on the Mod-Board need to be reflowed. If it's that tiny one you mentioned, Lendorien, then I don't know what I'm going to do. I can barely see the chip, let along the solder traces. I might need to find someone to help me with that chip. :(

BTW, it's a VERY clean display for a B&W screen. Once the color comes through, I'll be a happy camper!

The Asteroids (2600 version) issue is still occurring too, but Asteroids is the only game I've come across that's doing this. The asteroids are changing different shades and contrasts of their native colors. The asteroids and ship seem to jump all over the place. The ship gets darker and lighter. I tried 2 different Asteroids carts and it's happening with both of them, so the issue has to be coming from the console. is 2600 Asteroids compatible with the 7800?

Edited by Deteacher

PM sent: That B&W issue has only happened twice now. Seems that little tiny chip doesn't like boards being flexed during shipping. I thought I fixed it by shipping the mods in the stiffer packaging but that seems to not have worked. Reflowing the chip will fix it. If you can't manage to do it Deteacher then I will send a replacement for a swap.

Parker

Hey Parker

I sent you an email regarding the 2600 mod and PAL, but i just came across my 7800 in the garage so Ill be chasing a 7800 mod as well :)

Have you got a PAL 2600? Do you want a loaner?..... Im happy to cover post both ways and cover the mod also if you can leave it in it ;)

• 1 month later...

AFAIK, the main difference between PAL-I (used mostly in the British Isles, Hong Kong, and parts of Africa) and PAL-B/G (used mostly in Australia, New Zealand, and much of Europe) is the audio carrier frequency. The PAL TIA IC should be the same everywhere, and board layouts the same with respect to the various revision numbers. The audio carrier difference of only 0.5 MHz can be compensated for if moving a console from one of these two format areas to the other by a small change to an adjustable choke.

No it seems that the same console with the same mod will display a perfect signal on one TV and on another only a B/W signal. This happens on PAL areas. Seems to happen only on TVs that are both PAL and NTSC compatible. PAL only TVs seem to not have this issue.

LHE,

Tried to reach you via email a couple times in the last week or so, but I wanted to place an order. My issue is the lack of fms6400 availability from Mouser or Digikey, do you have a stash of them?

Also sent a huge email about other mouser parts on your web page that are no longer available or are cheaper options, but never heard back about any of that either...

Please reply soon! :)

I need to mod, can't mod without parts, need your help for parts!

LHE,

Tried to reach you via email a couple times in the last week or so, but I wanted to place an order. My issue is the lack of fms6400 availability from Mouser or Digikey, do you have a stash of them?

Also sent a huge email about other mouser parts on your web page that are no longer available or are cheaper options, but never heard back about any of that either...

Please reply soon! :)

I need to mod, can't mod without parts, need your help for parts!

Yah I just got an email from mouser about it. The FMS6410 is a suitable substitute but I won't update the parts list till I know for sure.

Yah I just got an email from mouser about it. The FMS6410 is a suitable substitute but I won't update the parts list till I know for sure.

Thats crap, I looked for a substitute through their "find alternative" and came up empty.

Just looked for fms6410, no stock on hand of those either, unless you want to order 1790 at $1.23 a pop from the factory.

Now what?

http://www.onlinecomponents.com/buy/FAIRCHILD/FMS6410CS/?ref=fc

For a stand by. Make sure pin 2 (the NC) is lifted. I don't know what will happen if thats connected to the +5V that is on that pin on the board.

Looks like I need to change the design due to obsolete parts.