IGNORED

Explosion Takes Out AtariAge [Updated]

Albert

Once upon a time I worked in tech support at the provider that became Houston's division of The Planet (at the time it was RackShack). Thank God I wasn't working there when this hit!

I've been hosting servers there since the time it was RackShack, then EV1Servers and now The Planet. :)

..Al

I usually use my bookmark for AtariAge to check when my connection is working as it's always the most stable site :)

I actually changed all the DNS settings for the home network before it even occurred to me that AA might really be down!

Once upon a time I worked in tech support at the provider that became Houston's division of The Planet (at the time it was RackShack). Thank God I wasn't working there when this hit!

I've been hosting servers there since the time it was RackShack, then EV1Servers and now The Planet. :)

Hey, I might have taken a call from you!

Actually no, probably not, I certainly would have remembered getting to help AtariAge. Still, small world!

It might amuse you to know that while I was there the break room had a 2-player cockpit edition of Atari Games' San Francisco Rush 2049. For all I know it's still there.

Edited by skunkworx

Those of you that might frequent any proboards websites (free forum software) know that it also experienced down time as the Planet also hosts proboards.

The fire supposedly took out several walls but did not damage the servers. The Planet had some backups they could activate, however the fire department told them to "wait up a sec" while they had to sort through that mess.

I should have represented us by standing outside with a sign that read "Hope everyone is okay! .......get AtariAge back online first, please!"

We had a small electrical fire in our server room last summer (but no explosion).

We had a similar issue at my place of employment last summer.

Power went out thanks to the morons across the street digging in the rong spot. Problem is with my job, we still have to work, and so we brought generators in to get our servers ready for shipping out. lol most fun Ive ever had.

Would it make sense to have some designated alternate site for information about AtariAge and its current status? Even something as simple as a geocities (or whatever) page that would usually say simply "AtariAge is online at www.AtariAge.com" but which could easily be updated to let people know what's going on when there's an outage?

For that matter, what would be involved from a technical standpoint to set things up so that if neither of the primary AtariAge name servers works, a visitor would get redirected to a name server on another system (e.g. something in your house) which would then redirect to a sorry/status screen? The bandwidth required to handle that would be low enough that even a personal DSL connection would probably suffice if everything could be set up properly.

Edited by supercat

You know at first I thought some things was wrong with my computer. I had to ask other members with Email if any thing was wrong and they told me what happend. I'm glad every thing is all right and Atariage is back on the net.

:-o :?: :party:

we had about the same problem at my work (dominick's):

on friday afternoon, att went in the back of the store to do some wiring and it knocked out

communication with the credit card machine then on saturday while the credit card machines were still down

around 9:45am att knocked out the cash registers comunications. nobody could scan anything or do anything

with the registers not until 10am.

glad everything is up and running and everything and everyone is okay.

I recently got new neighbors, when the management company installed a new fridge upstairs, they neglected to turn off the feed to the unhooked ice maker.. needless to say i came home to a caved in ceiling in my apartment.

needless to say, I can appreciate the limbo factor as "they" get everything fixed and stable. folks, expect intermident outages for the next few weeks..

I'm so happy this site is back online.

We shoudn't foget that which is important to us.

Its almost like my second child. :P

My second child has called me on this. So its more like my first orgasm. God help us.

Edited by Prodos8