IGNORED

GameGavel.com - Auctions for Gamers! - Play VIDGRID - The GameGavel Game

Parrothead

I don't have a whole lot to sale right now but I am going to put a few Items up to see what happens. Good luck with it.

Thanks. I will appreciate any contribution you can make. Let me know if you have any questions about the site. If you are an eBay user, than you will think this is just as easy.

you have some competition from gamegavel.com too. I hope you the best though, I'd love to see one of these video game auction sites make it. The biggest problem is still that sellers won't get the traffic or price that ebay brings for a while.

Competition is critical. it pushes these start up auction sites to improve. Some of the main reasons eBay is so lame is that it basically operates as an online auction monopoly, and there is no impetus to improve, aside from that which appears better to the public shareholders.

I think that you (Parrothead) should improve the storefront model and even provide a layer of storefront transparency for seller branding. If you called it a store/auction site, you could get more folks to set up shop (like me!). A certain amount of content building would be beneficial- something like a customizable store front page to give each seller some identity, if they want that. If you get 20 guys with 100 items in their stores up and going, you suddenly have a busy site.

My greatest fear about investing in your site is- if I put all this time into listing stuff there, will you be there tomorrow? What if you get married and have kids and don't have time or something changes and you dump the service. Many of us have to be cynical- we've seen alot of mom and pop things come and go, so it may limit investment in the site. I intend to list a few things and see how it goes.

eBay's traffic is overrated for stuff that isn't rare. If you look at midrange game stuff, there is very little consistency as to price. A $10 item may sell for $5 today and $20 tomorrow. My easy solution is to list stuff for $8 and hope it sells. Sometimes it does and sometimes not. But if you list on this type of site for 1 cent, you may end up selling it for one cent, whereas the chances of that happening on eBay are less. I really won't be changing much about the way I sell- I almost never leave routine sales up to chance. I price according to precedent.

Basically I'll advertise a few sales on AA and DP and wherever else and see if anyone shows up for the party.

It's stupid to make BOLD free, as it loses any meaning- every auction is bold, so nothing is really noticable.

OK, so let me make another suggestion. I suggest you avoid the ambivalent capitalism of eBay. Powerseller designation is meaningless. I would say you create some criteria for fair trading and reward sellers for maintaining that. For example, for items of determinate weight like games, you can say (like half.com did) that shipping will cost some specific amount and if a seller adheres to that, they get the Stamp of Approval. For example, a loose cart should ship for less than $5 without insurance in the US. And if a seller adheres to that 90% of the time, they get a Postage Stamp of Approval.

You have to set a specific situation for returns. Having personal seller policies is meaningless since eBay doesn't assess whether your policy was violated, and they have no real policies of their own about problem resolution. Your company needs to make the policies and they have to be fair with some lattitude. That will be hard.

I would suggest that feedback be a tiered system where the primary rating says that the item was received. then if you drill down a little you get a rating as to item received as expected or something like that. And I think there should be no feedback rating contribution on returned items. Like feedback could look like this:

Sales confirmed: 28

Returned items: 2

Buyer satisfaction: A

or something that divides up the types of things that happen, rather than one annoying overreaching number.

I have so many suggestions. I also suggest a blog section for the sellers for short Twitter like comments or even integration with Twitter or Facebook. That's it, make it a Facebook auction applet! That way everyone knows everyone else, etc. Much more personal, rather than this annonymous thing. That is my prediction: the next successful auction site will piggyback on social networking. Get to it Parrothead! (disclaimer: I'm not that into the social networking sites, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what they offer).

eBay operates in a vacuum, which is one of its biggest problems.

I registered.

Thanks so much. We need all the users we can get and keep this momentum going. It's has been a whirlwind since it launched on Monday. Lots of activity - more than what there appears to be. There is quite a bit of bidding going on. And the registered member list keeps growing almost hourly.

Lots more will happen after I plug it on the podcast in a week or so.

Edited by Parrothead

I registered.

Thanks so much. We need all the users we can get and keep this momentum going. It's has been a whirlwind since it launched on Monday. Lots of activity - more than what there appears to be. There is quite a bit of bidding going on. And the registered member list keeps growing almost hourly.

Lots more will happen after I plug it on the podcast in a week or so.

Yeah, I just bought 4 lynx games on ebay last week and got totally ass raped on shipping. Looking to get away from that.

not bad considering how new it is.

but looking at that site, it seems that atariage has more hits and more things for sale in comparison...

I wonder if there's an auction plugin for this BB software. It seems a more attractive alternative.

last month I sold 2 DSLRs on ebay and wow, did they get me bad. For buying, I've already started going to standard online shops as they seem to be looking less expensive and are often less hassle. ebay had better watch out, all the classic gaming forums I'm on have been really complaining about their system especially over the last couple of months.

Edited by Reaperman

The Chuckwagon is IN THE NEWS!!

http://news.google.com/news?tab=wn&ned...e+game+auctions

I am doing what I can to bring traffic to the Chuckwagon, but I still need the help of you collectors. Please consider giving it a try as many sellers are having successful auctions.

I know many of you have concerns about your item not getting the "eyes" needed to sell your items for a good price, but let me assure you, that if you have something to sell , other than common items, you will get quality bids. It has happened already. In comparison to eBay, go there and search by "atari" and see how many items are ending without any bids. This shows that even on Ebay you can list something and not get a single bid. The bottom line is that if you have something rare, or harder to find, a real gaming collectible, it doesn't matter if you list it on Ebay or the Chuckwagon - It will get bids. If you are worried, just put a reserve on your items and see what happens. The worst case you can just relist it for no cost as we do not charge insertion fees on the Chuckwagon.

Using Ebay is a state of mind, and nothing more. In order to break Ebay's spell, we need to give other auction sites a chance, mine or any other auction site for that matter. So go ahead and jump on the Chuckwagon Bandwagon.

I have also sold a couple of things. So far, so good. Just listed a Dreamcast and NES lot today. The NES is kind of an experiment--we'll see how it goes.

I love that you can re-list without fees--it really allows for a lot of flexibility. Also, the no charge for a buy price or best offers makes it so that you can set a price you'd be really happy to get, and then allow people to make offers if they think your price is too much. I've often listed or considered buying stuff in the marketplace on here and in the process longed for a sort of mediation like this--from whatever side I'm on--making an offer or receiving offers.

100+ games listed to date....

keep on chuggin dude!

FYI to the AA.com peeps- I sold a game on there already... so it does work...

I have also sold a couple of things. So far, so good. Just listed a Dreamcast and NES lot today. The NES is kind of an experiment--we'll see how it goes.

I love that you can re-list without fees--it really allows for a lot of flexibility. Also, the no charge for a buy price or best offers makes it so that you can set a price you'd be really happy to get, and then allow people to make offers if they think your price is too much. I've often listed or considered buying stuff in the marketplace on here and in the process longed for a sort of mediation like this--from whatever side I'm on--making an offer or receiving offers.

100+ games listed to date....

keep on chuggin dude!

FYI to the AA.com peeps- I sold a game on there already... so it does work...

Thanks for pointing out some nice features of The Chuckwagon. Now we just need to keep more and more people signing up :)

Good luck on your recent listings.

Mike :)

parrot, how strict are the guidelines for "gaming?" I have computer equipment that can all be used to play games, but not strictly speaking. Like keyboards, speakers, maybe a 'gamer's bundle' type of thing. I haven't listed anything for sale yet, been watching. But that was a question I had for you (posting here in public cause it might inform others).

Nathan

parrot, how strict are the guidelines for "gaming?" I have computer equipment that can all be used to play games, but not strictly speaking. Like keyboards, speakers, maybe a 'gamer's bundle' type of thing. I haven't listed anything for sale yet, been watching. But that was a question I had for you (posting here in public cause it might inform others).

Nathan

Click on listing at the top of the ChaseTheChuckwagon.com homepage then click on Modern Computer Gaming. I think you will find some auction categories there. Is that what you were looking for?

Thanks for your interest in the Chuckwagon.

Mike :)

We are having lots of activity in only the first couple weeks since launch March 24th 2008.

Stats from the first 2 1/2 Weeks on ChaseTheChuckwagon.com.

Category List Hits: 8,088

Searches: 2,541

Item Views: 7,223

Item Bids: 299

Registered Users: 146

Many users are accumulating Positive Feedback now and there are still lots of good items up for auction. If you are still considering joining, now is the time as we need to all keep the site growing, if it has a chance against Ebay.

Please register and give it a try if you haven't already. I think you will agree, it's a great alternative to Ebay.

Thanks to all who have already registered. I know I sound like a broken record, but in order to keep it growing, we need to all spread the word and also list a few items whenever possible.

not too thrilled about someone asking $5 to ship a magazine - are you planning on possibly putting in some guidelines for sellers in this area?

I will have to defend this. If I were to buy a magazine, I would want it in a hard frame, at least heavy cardboard and wrapped in plastic. For this, I will pay $5 for someone to do.

If it were just dropped in a flimsy envelope and a stamp on it, then I would be upset. There should definitely be some regulation by the site on shipping. or at least try. It's a big gripe I have about ebay sellers; charging lots for shipping then giving the least effort.

Nathan

Edited by nathanallan

Why does the site run off the left side of my computer screen? I can't read what it says.

I have a 20" monitor, and it runs perfectly centered.

<div id="container">

<table width="100%" align="center">

#container {style.css (line 23)

height:auto;

margin-left:auto;

margin-right:auto;

min-height:80%;

width:900px;

The way it's set-up, it should center on any browser. Do you have problems with other

sites accoustic?

yea, Netscape's a tougher one, I believe when I was building my site I had lots

of problems with errors in Netscape, but everything looked great in IE and Firefox

so I didn't bother. It is really hard to get a site to view correctly in all the different

browser types, I was always happy to get IE and Firefox to look right on mine :)

Then again I might be totally wrong, kind of a novice at web design :D Could be the

small monitor also ???!!!!!