IGNORED

GameGavel.com - Auctions for Gamers! - Play VIDGRID - The GameGavel Game

Parrothead

CTCW need sniping-automatic pls. i.e., silent bidding. XD

no way. That is some of the ebay type bullshit I don't want to see ruin the bandwagon.

I agree with Shawn. I always felt if you want the item make time to bid on it and be there for the auction end. But I guess to each his own. Just my thoughts.

I also agree with Shawn, but I am realistic that as this site gets bigger there will eventually be a sniping program. I do have one problem with CTCW. The site looks, acts, and talks like Ebay, only cheaper. There are no auction services that make it different from Ebay.

... There are no auction services that make it different from Ebay.

I am not affiliated with CTCW, except as a seller, but you are a little wrong... I am sure Parrot will show up and highlight the diffs for ya when he reads this

seeya,

-JustJeff

no way. That is some of the ebay type bullshit I don't want to see ruin the bandwagon.

I agree with Shawn. I always felt if you want the item make time to bid on it and be there for the auction end. But I guess to each his own. Just my thoughts.

I have thought about two different features, but so far, have not acted on them.

There are a few schools of thought when it comes to bidding, sniping, auction extensions, etc.

When I originally launched, the site featured what I called "Dynamic Bidding" which would add 60 seconds after each bid, to prevent sniping. Basically, if you tried to snipe last few seconds, 60 more seconds would be added to the ending time. And it would continue until all bidding stopped. At first I thought this was a good but many users had issues with it. I actually put this question to a poll on another newsgroup and the majority of the people were against using dynamic bidding.

I have also looked at the sniping options, and this one is a tough one. Bascially, I think there will be an even # of people for it as there will be against it. I am kind of split on sniping but sort of agree that if you want the item bad enough then you should be there to bid on it at the end, or at least input a high bid amount in the beginning.

What does everyone else here think about sniping and / or dynamic bidding capability?

I have thought about two different features, but so far, have not acted on them.

There are a few schools of thought when it comes to bidding, sniping, auction extensions, etc.

When I originally launched, the site featured what I called "Dynamic Bidding" which would add 60 seconds after each bid, to prevent sniping. Basically, if you tried to snipe last few seconds, 60 more seconds would be added to the ending time. And it would continue until all bidding stopped. At first I thought this was a good but many users had issues with it. I actually put this question to a poll on another newsgroup and the majority of the people were against using dynamic bidding.

I have also looked at the sniping options, and this one is a tough one. Bascially, I think there will be an even # of people for it as there will be against it. I am kind of split on sniping but sort of agree that if you want the item bad enough then you should be there to bid on it at the end, or at least input a high bid amount in the beginning.

What does everyone else here think about sniping and / or dynamic bidding capability?

My opinion on sniping is as a buyer I absolutely hate it. As a seller though I don't mind it but I don't see an advantage. So I guess I can't have it both ways, but I think to each his own. Sniping in my opinion has always made me think if you want the item just bid high and unless someone wants it more you'll win. I mean usually on just about any good ebay auction you'll see 4 different people sniping in the last few seconds. My thought is do they really pay any less than someone would if they bid high early. I've sold alot of systems and game sets and I've had some people bid high early like 100.00 and win, and had some auctions that sat at 25.00 til the last minute and still sell for 100.00 or more so I don't really see the major advantage. In fact I often times sell higher when people snipe. I simply think its more in perception of the individual than actuality. Just my thoughts.

As for dynamic bidding I have heard and read many discussions on it and I am not sure what I would think of it. It certainly could cause some interesting bidding wars but I am not sure I like the idea. I personally think I prefer a rigid end time, but until I see it, I can't really argue that I would hate it. Just my thoughts again.

As for CTCW looking and acting like ebay, I like it. Why reinvent the wheel. I think Mike has done a great job in putting forth the time and effort to give everyone an alternative. Ebay has taken way to much control away from the seller. From feedback to charges. An example I sold a pair of joysticks on ebay for 5.00 and by the time listing and ending fees were done I shelled out 2.75, between relist and ineligible relist fees because I changed something in the auction. On the Chuckwagon the same auction would cost me less than a quarter from start to finish. While I just used this as an example I am showing an advantage. I think this site gives some control back to the seller and keeps the playing field level. In a month the new feedback system on ebay will take effect and a buyer can neg a seller for any reason they want with no way for the seller to argue. I mean I've had buyers buy on a Friday and then open a not recieved item dispute on Monday 3 days later. That scares the hell outta me right now as to how fast seller feedback could tank due to a few bad apples.

Either way GREAT JOB MIKE!!!!!

I wonder if there were massive differences would there be post about how much people don't like it because its to different... hummm..... :ponder: :ponder: :ponder:

Edited by brucebidder

Here is my take. Let people have the option of having dynamic bidding or to have a regular auction. I would think that freedom of choice for the seller would be a good thing. If someone does not like dynamic bidding than they don't have to bid on it, plain and simple. Yet I have a feeling that the same people complaining about it now would grow to appreciate it, just so they can have an opportunity to respond.

Here is another thing to think about. Have a sealed/blind bid auction system a well as an option. Everyone puts in a bid but no one knows what the current price of the item is at. And the item sells for the highest that someone has offered.

So in summary. Keep the same system, but add in the dynamic bidding or sealed bidding as a choice.

Here is another thing to think about. Have a sealed/blind bid auction system a well as an option. Everyone puts in a bid but no one knows what the current price of the item is at. And the item sells for the highest that someone has offered.

I think that sounds kind of cool, that would be unique to the

online auction thing. Plus one of the reasons Ebay works is the fact

that you can snipe, it's the thrill of the win.

I agree that having choices sounds like what CTCW should be about. After all, the whole site itself is all about offering buyers and sellers another choice for auctions besides eBay. Why not take the next logical step and offer sellers the choice of what kind of bidding to allow on their auctions and the buyers will vote for what style of auction they like best with their dollars. Money speaks louder than words. XD

Edited by djpubba

I agree that having choices sounds like what CTCW should be about. After all, the whole site itself is all about offering buyers and sellers another choice for auctions besides eBay. Why not take the next logical step and offer sellers the choice of what kind of bidding to allow on their auctions and the buyers will vote for what style of auction they like best with their dollars. Money speaks louder than words. XD

I like all these ideas that give the options out. THe only thing I wonder is how practical it would be to offer these. I don't pretend to know what all goes into starting an auction site but to me it sounds like it would mean alot of time, work and money. Well I guess these are ideas for the future... Great ideas guys...

:)

I like all these ideas that give the options out. THe only thing I wonder is how practical it would be to offer these. I don't pretend to know what all goes into starting an auction site but to me it sounds like it would mean alot of time, work and money. Well I guess these are ideas for the future... Great ideas guys...

I have discussed with my developer:

1) Making Dynamic Bidding a Seller Option. Can be done, but won't be able to do it for a while.

2) Integrating Sniping Capability - He is not willing to do this as there is other sniping capability software out there.

3) Silent Auctions - He is not willing to do this one either. Believes it wouldn't be used much in the end.

4) Location search, by zip code. This will be done in the future.

5) Shipping Policies page will be added to discuss recommended shipping packaging and pricing guidelines. I cannot make this enforceable in the true sense, but will have a "report abuse" email that a buyer can use to report "out of whack" shipping requests. I was thinking about a 3 strikes and your out mentality.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions and keep them coming. In the end, everything is doable if I have the $$ to have him make significant changes to the software. I have mixed feelings about all the auction ending options but feel the standard format is adequate at this time.

2) Integrating Sniping Capability - He is not willing to do this as there is other sniping capability software out there.

Yes, but I do believe it's all set-up to use with Ebay. So it does no good for Chase the Chuckwagon :sad:

I guess that would be the case. I am not saying this will never be available on CTCW. Just not in the near future. I think you will all like the Shipping Policies and Standards area that is forthcoming :)

Yes, but I do believe it's all set-up to use with Ebay. So it does no good for Chase the Chuckwagon :sad:

I guess that would be the case. I am not saying this will never be available on CTCW. Just not in the near future. I think you will all like the Shipping Policies and Standards area that is forthcoming :)

Here's another thing;

the site works, it's growing. Gets more members and auctions everyday.

I say just let it run, when it gets to where there's some revenue coming in,

then worry about making renovations. Let's just be happy we have an alternative to

Feebay :P

Edited by jimdandy75

Here's another thing;

the site works, it's growing. Gets more members and auctions everyday.

I say just let it run, when it gets to where there's some revenue coming in,

then worry about making renovations. Let's just be happy we have an alternative to

Feebay :P

Amen!!! Can I get a hallejuhahhhh... My sentiments exactly... :)

I have discussed with my developer:

1) Making Dynamic Bidding a Seller Option. Can be done, but won't be able to do it for a while.

3) Silent Auctions - He is not willing to do this one either. Believes it wouldn't be used much in the end.

4) Location search, by zip code. This will be done in the future.

5) Shipping Policies page will be added to discuss recommended shipping packaging and pricing guidelines. I cannot make this enforceable in the true sense, but will have a "report abuse" email that a buyer can use to report "out of whack" shipping requests. I was thinking about a 3 strikes and your out mentality.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions and keep them coming. In the end, everything is doable if I have the $$ to have him make significant changes to the software. I have mixed feelings about all the auction ending options but feel the standard format is adequate at this time.

My thoughts:

1. COuld take it or leave it, well see if it is implemented if it really gets used.

2. Don't care myself, kind of like it not being integrated.

3. I fully agree, I thought about it last night and the more I thought about the less I liked it. In principle its good, but I as a bidder I like to know what the interest is and whether or not early on I'm really going to be bidding for the product.

4. Love it.

5. Love it especially the 3 strike policy. But I think the "the out" should be a suspention of privileges for a set amount of time based on offense.

a few things I would love to see in the future.

As a seller, a shipping calculator. For small items its easy to come up with a number, but the larger the item is it gets hard to guess. What I have done is set the shipping at the maximum rate for me LA, CA. Then refund the difference if the buyer is closer. And as a note I really do refund the buyer the difference, I don't just say it.. :)

As a buyer I would like to have a few more search options. Right now itsw no big deal but if there are 1000 auctions I would like to be able to search as stated earlier by zip code, but also via price L to H and H to L.

Again a great big thank you to SO CAL MIKE for giving us a great option to ebay. Thanks alot.....

Amen!!! Can I get a hallejuhahhhh... My sentiments exactly...

Hallejuhahhhhhh ;)

Yeah I like the #5 also,

I think Ebay lets way to many

people get away with way to much shit.

If someones reported to you for more than one

offense, kick em out!

Edited by jimdandy75

Chuckwagon Members:

Here is rough draft of shipping policies, which will soon be under ChaseTheChuckwagon's Guides & Policies Header:

ChaseTheChuckwagon.com Shipping Policies & Standards

In the past, with other auction websites, Sellers would inflate shipping costs to offset some of the auction listing fees. At ChaseTheChuckwagon.com, our fees are such that this should not be required. The following is a set of standards and guidelines that will be enforced on ChaseTheChuckwagon.com.

Any Sellers choosing not to abide by these shipping standards could be tossed off the Chuckwagon. We will be implementing a "3-Strikes & You're OUT!" policy. It is pretty simple, after the third noted abuse, the member is tossed of the Chuckwagon. I will of course, try to avoid this by any and all means, and will have discussions with the abusing member prior to kicking him off the Chuckwagon (paints a pretty picture doesn't it).

Sellers -- In an attempt to curtail overpriced packaging and shipping costs, please adhere to these standards when determining your shipping costs:

U.S.A. Domestic Shipping

Packages Less Than 1 lb. - $4.60 Anywhere in the USA

It is recommended these items are packaged in a Priority Mail Box (choices below), which are free from the U.S. Postal Service. These boxes can be picked up in most U.S. Post Office outlets and can also be ordered and shipped directly to you by visiting this link:

12 ½” x 15 ½” x 3” – Great for multiple game cartridges or a boxed game

http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ser...1&langId=-1

8 5/8” x 5 3/8” x 1 5/8” – Great for single game cartridges

http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ser...5&langId=-1

9 ¼” x 6 ¼” 2” – Great for single boxed game

http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ser...3&langId=-1

12” x 12” x 8” – Maybe a Flat Rate Box is a better choice – See Below

http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ser...7&langId=-1

7” x 7” x 6” – Great for multiple cartridges or boxed games

http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ser...5&langId=-1

Packages More Than 1 lb. - $8.95 - $12.95 Anywhere in the USA

It is recommended these items are packaged in a Flat Rate Box which are free from the U.S. Postal Service. Flat rate boxes are available in three convenient sizes, 11" x 8 1/2" x 5 1/2", 12” x 12” x 5 ½” and 11 7/8" x 3 3/8" 13 5/8”. These boxes can be picked up in most U.S. Post Office outlets and can also be ordered and shipped directly to you by visiting this link:

11” x 8 ½” x 5 ½”

12” x 12” x 5 ½” - $12.95 Anywhere in the USA

11 7/8” x 3 3/8” x 13 5/8”

http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ser...9&langId=-1

Shipping Tip #1: USPS.com offers a “Click N Ship” service where you can print out and pay for postage on line. You can even schedule a pick up at your home so you don’t even need to drive it to the post office.

Shipping Tip #2: Please do not use padded envelopes for shipping boxed games. This a sure fire way to upset the buyer!

Larger packages, examples: complete video game systems, bundles

When shipping larger and heavier items it is usually best to use UPS or Federal Express Ground. For these items you can use the links below to get an estimated shipping cost. Larger items often require additional packaging materials so buyers should expect this added to the pricing.

When using UPS or Federal Express, shipping costs are not only determined by the weight and size of the package but also the location and proximity between buyer and seller. Many sellers, through experience will use an average shipping price that is pre-determined and set within the listing description.

From my experience shipping a complete system or system bundle should be priced anywhere from $15-$25.

Federal Express Shipping Estimator

http://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home?cc=US&language=en

UPS Shipping Estimator

https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc/request?loc=en_...;WT.svl=PNRO_L1

U.S.A. to International Shipping

It is recommended these items are packaged in a Flat Rate Box which are free from the U.S. Postal Service. Flat rate boxes are available in three convenient sizes, 11" x 8 1/2" x 5 1/2", 12” x 12” x 5 ½” and 11 7/8" x 3 3/8" 13 5/8”. These boxes can be picked up in most U.S. Post Office outlets and can also be ordered and shipped directly to you by visiting this link:

11” x 8 ½” x 5 ½” - $23 Canada & Mexico, $37 to all other countries

12” x 12” x 5 ½” - $29.95 CA & MX, $49.95 to all other countries

11 7/8” x 3 3/8” x 13 5/8” - $23 Canada & Mexico, $37 to all other countries

http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ser...9&langId=-1

International to U.S.A. Shipping

International Sellers – Please indicated clearly in your listing your USA shipping policy. Please let our USA buyers know if you do, in fact, ship to the USA. Please indicate your shipping price and also, indicate some description of how the item will be packaged.

Please report any instances of over inflated shipping to:

abuse@ChaseTheChuckwagon.com

________________________________________________________________________________

_______

Of course, this will all be "prettied" up when actually placed on line. Please let me know what is good, bad, or needs to be modified. Thanks, all.

Edited by Parrothead

I spend lots of time Googleing ChaseTheChuckwagon looking for new links and mentions of the Chuckwagon. Here is one that showed up today: Click and scroll down a bit. I love this kind of advertising :)

http://www.joltcountry.com/index.php

Speaking of advertising, check out our button flashing on:

http://gooddealgames.com/

Edited by Parrothead

I have made our Shipping Policies page live. Please go in and see what you think. I have been made aware that USPS pricing will be going up tomorrow. If and when those USPS pricing changes are announced, our Shipping Policies page will be updated.

Hope you all feel this is a good start --

ChaseTheChuckwagon.com Shipping Standards:

http://www.chasethechuckwagon.com/html/shi...g_policies.html

Next, I have also added an Advertising link at the top of the home page. Some of you have wanted artwork for your signatures on other newsgroups as well as for inclusing on your websites. You can find the ChaseTheChuckwagon.com buttons and HTML code on the Advertising Link as well.

http://www.chasethechuckwagon.com/html/advertising.html

Also, we are working slowly on integrating a "Favorite Search" feature, that will alert you via email when an item you are looking for is listed. At that time, we should also have a search by zip code, as well. Hopefully these items will be in place by year end.

Edited by Parrothead