IGNORED

What Are These ?

LYNXGUY

SpeedScript = Word Processor (I have several disk images that I created from my Dad's original disks that say speedscript80, but I cannot get these to work.

Draper Pascal = Pascal Compiler

Shingas = Shingas (fl. 1740–1763), was a leader of the Delaware (Lenape) people in the Ohio Country and a noted American Indian warrior on the western frontier during the French and Indian War. Dubbed "Shingas the Terrible" by Anglo-Americans during the war, Shingas led devastating raids against white settl.. :)

BAEA = The British Aerobic Association...could have something aerobics-related?

The named disks (Sally Welca, Curtis Frank, Susan Frank) could be user disks for an unspecified program.

Use a sector editor and take a look at the data on the disks. Or maybe just boot them (some programs will imprint a message for data disks).

SpeedScript was (I think) a Compute Word Processor maybe?? I think I typed it in way back when.

I think you are right. I think that the SpeedScript80.atr I have modifies the original SpeedScript program, or is a modified SpeedScript to work with the Omniview 80 column ROM.

It is included in this zip file which includes most of the A8 word processing programs I have.

wordproc.zip

SpeedScript was (I think) a Compute Word Processor maybe?? I think I typed it in way back when.

I think you are right. I think that the SpeedScript80.atr I have modifies the original SpeedScript program, or is a modified SpeedScript to work with the Omniview 80 column ROM.

It is included in this zip file which includes most of the A8 word processing programs I have.

wordproc.zip

Speedscript was a good word processor. Used that right before getting the Macintosh.

I loaded floppy and this is the first screen.......

post-4620-1213280805_thumb.jpg

I typed help and I got this screen .......

post-4620-1213280885_thumb.jpg

I formatted a floppy and wrote the DOS files but it wouldn't load

then I loaded another floppy and I got this.......

post-4620-1213280954_thumb.jpg

then I loaded another floppy and got this.......

post-4620-1213281039_thumb.jpg

I loaded floppy and this is the first screen.......

post-4620-1213280805_thumb.jpg

I typed help and I got this screen .......

post-4620-1213280885_thumb.jpg

I formatted a floppy and wrote the DOS files but it wouldn't load

then I loaded another floppy and I got this.......

post-4620-1213280954_thumb.jpg

then I loaded another floppy and got this.......

post-4620-1213281039_thumb.jpg

DISKIO was a "mini-Dos" published in Antic. The original author was a member of our users group AUGI. Later, DISKIO was updated by another programmer and again published in Antic. I'm sure you can find the articles in the Antic archive. Of the many mini-Dos versions published, this was a pretty good one, and I believe included a mini-copier that used a small buffer that did not destroy the contents of the memory. I *think* that the original author also wrote a program for APX and it won second prize -- winner was "Getaway" IIRC. And like the saying goes, I don't remember the name of the second-place winner.

-Larry

The bottom screenshot is "Simple Assembler", a type-in from the book "Machine Language for Beginners"... it may have been published in Compute magazine originally, before the book came out.

I hated long type-ins, but made myself type that one... before that the only way I could do "assembly" language was by hand (POKE decimal opcodes/operands to memory). Also spent many hours modifying and extending the Simple Assembler. Somewhere I've got a version that requires Turbo BASIC XL, supports labels (sort-of), takes input in either hex or decimal, and can read the assembly source from a disk file. Maybe I'll go digging for it and post it here, if everyone promises not to laugh at the (probably) horrible code...

If you want to do anything with your Simple Assembler disk, the directions on how to use it (and the BASIC type-in code) are in Appendix C of ML for Beginners, here: http://atariarchives.org/mlb/appendix_c.php

I have that on a disk I just received as part of a trade. I think that this was a DOS that was modifed to copy all 720 sectors of a disk, instead of only 719. The history there is there was a disconnect between the hardware guys and the software guys on where to start counting sectors, at zero or one. Some early software supposedly used to put data in sector 720 as copy-protection. The normal DOS 2.0's DupDisk command would not copy sector 720.

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what this DOS looks like to me.

I think Long John's DOS was probably the first widely used modded DOS 2.0.

It did disk copies as full sector 1-720 jobs, rather than just what the VTOC said is in use as per most normal DOSes.

That pic has a reference to SUPERDUP, maybe it's an early version of SuperDOS.

The "Super" line of products, AFAIK, were developed here, I think in Queensland. There was SuperMon (OS replacement with monitor and GTIA modes with working text window), and Super boards (forget their full name) for disk drives which were a kind of "poor man's Happy".

SuperDOS added support for the go-faster stuff like higher SIO speed and sector skew formatting.

I have that on a disk I just received as part of a trade. I think that this was a DOS that was modifed to copy all 720 sectors of a disk, instead of only 719. The history there is there was a disconnect between the hardware guys and the software guys on where to start counting sectors, at zero or one. Some early software supposedly used to put data in sector 720 as copy-protection. The normal DOS 2.0's DupDisk command would not copy sector 720.

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what this DOS looks like to me.

Yes, exactly. David Young was the same C. David Young that later did Omnimon and several other nice Atari things. Lived in Texas and some of software/firmware items were distributed by Wes Newell.

-Larry